1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Input selection on h655

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by shelfsider, Sep 16, 2005.

1. shelfsider

shelfsider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    After some initial teething problems my H655 is now doing pretty much what I want. With one exception.
    It refuses to select the correct input on my tv when i start an acivity. Granted this is only an issue forstarting up the ps2 since the dvd and vcr come up on their own.
    The tv is a philips pw9308 and input selction has always been the one thing that got on my nerves, you have to bring a a menu then cylcle through them to the one you want using either the input selct key or the arrows.
    Ive been back to the setup page countless times altering everything from IR delays to slection methods and I managed to rech the point where the remotes help option brings it up at the third or fourth time of asking. But thats as far as I can get it simply wont slect av3 after its been turned on.
    ANy1 have any advice?

2. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,712
    Sorry, can't offer any assistance but felt the need to post my experience.

I have a similar problem with a Panasonic Viera. Tried removing all devices except the TV but can't even get that working properly. Now I fully expected to maybe have to teach a command or two but hardly anything functions as it should. As I understand it, teaching has to be done online. :rolleyes:

After an hour of reprogramming the remote, running downstairs to test it, running back up to the PC, scratching head, changing settings, reprogramming, testing, reprogramming, testing I have reached a conclusion - it's a pile of crap & I'll be sticking with the Mosaic.

Even if I were to persevere & successfully teach the remote all of the TV setiings, the first thing it wants to do is force me to watch TV via the analogue tuner of my DVD recorder rather than the Viera's inbuilt DVB.

If you find you're spending too much time watching TV/DVDs & would like to spend more time on the PC combined with a keep fit routine then the 655 will become your best friend. If you're used to the One For All method of entering a code that pretty much works, you may well be in for a shock. Promises so much yet delivers so little. :thumbsdow

3. jaymz

jaymz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    shelfsider have a look at my post below and the others it references, should be able to sort your input selction no problem.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238522

crocodile, you need to get your head around the logic. I assume you have added your TV as a device and then created a "watch digital tv" activity??

i can only suggestion you redo the setup wizard for your "watch digital tv" command, with mine there was an option to use analogie of Sharp TV or digital of Humax (this activity has both devices in)

4. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,712
    There is no logic involved when the starting point is that less than 50% of the TV functions work. :(

The wizard decided all on it's own to use the DVD recorder as the TV source. When I tried to amend it I was asked which AV input to use for TV. I don't want to use an AV input, I want to use the onboard tuner but that's not an option. :mad:

I appreciate the feedback but life's too short.... :suicide:

5. amorenod

amorenod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    My TV (LG 32LX2R) input select method is a cycling menu, too.

However, at the time of coding the remote, the model wasn't available, so I went for a recommended one. Not only the Input Select code was available in the database, but many direct input codes. I tried and, to my surprise, they worked.

Check the command database, maybe there're direct input codes available.

6. Samurai303

Samurai303

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have an LG 32LX2R as well.

Do you have a functioning direct input for AV1 and HDMI? The AV1 input that I get from the database just seems to bring up the label on the screen but not actually change the input.

7. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Hi crocodile

I do hear your frustration but I am sure there are some things which will sort your problems. For instance you dont use your DVD for watching TV so dont include it in the list of devices for 'Watch TV'. I am sure the Harmony will not then ask about the AV inputs. You then create a separate Watch DVD activity which obviously includes both the TV and the DVD and does need the AV specified. Sorry if I have misunderstood your problem but from what you describe this looks like an explanation for part of your problems at least.

Regards Richard

8. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,712
    I have deleted all devices except the TV. When I try to create the Watch TV activity the first question in the wizard is "which AV input" so that isn't the solution.

Since my last post, I have been through the tortuous process of teaching the 655 the correct commands for the cursor keys & the coloured fastext keys. Despite showing that these have been customised, they still don't work. Instead the cursor keys change channel/volume & the fastext keys don't work at all. Seems the only way forward is to create a new TV profile & teach the remote every single command from the original - if I could be arsed (& I can't)....

9. amorenod

amorenod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    No, the recommended TV (23lx2r, iirc) seems to have 2 component inputs and DVI, but no HDMI.

10. jaymz

jaymz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    crocodile,

I had a similar problem with text not working and the secret is to ensure the colour fastext buttons are on the correct function.

The easiest way to check this is to customise the activity and customise the button functions.

In picture 1 attached it is my "watch PVR2 activity, the fastext buttons are mapped to the pvr function. In picture 2 it is my "watch TV" activity and the the fastext buttons are mapped to the tv teletext function.

Make sure you do not have duplicate functions in the same row.

If you want any more help i am happy to create a test tv activity, if you provide me with the exact tv model.

Attached Files:

11. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,712
    Thanks for the offer of help but the 655 is back in it's box awaiting a kindly Ebayer to hit Buy It Now....

12. Spud36

Spud36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The only help I can advise to the original poster of this thread is this.

Phone the support line.

I have a Panasonic TV with inputs from a DVD player/Sky digibox/Freeview box connected to via a Joytech AV Control Centre and a VCR.

I got every item working fine with the exception of the TV (selecting the correct inputs etc.) which I could not fix with the online setup.

I phoned the support line and they have been able to adjust my settings (most of which aren't available on line for me to adjust) and it is now all working perfectly.

Chances are that they can make changes to your remote that you can't

The support is supposed to be a free phone number (I hope it is anyway otherwise I may need to flog the remote to pay the phone bill)

regards

13. Smiffy 2

Smiffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    I will second the support line.

Have just purchased a 655 remote and found it fairly simple to set up the basic functions.
    Had a problem with the "Watch a movie" setting as whilst the remote would turn everything ON I had a problem with it not switching the DVD player OFF.

Quick call to the helpline was met with a friendly Canadian lady, who checked my settings, tweaked a couple of things her end, and I downloaded the new settings to my remote.................................... BINGO!!

Everything now works as requested, and took less than 10 minutes.

Just got to get my head around some of the more "complex" settings now, so I could become quite friendly with this particular Canadian lady!!

By the way.....I think the Logitech "back-up" for what is essentially a very cheap product is first class....puts most other manufacturer's to shame.

:D :D :D :D :D :D