Input resolutions

Willis1995

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I own a Panasonic LED LCD TV along with a Panasonic DMR-BWT850EB. Unfortunately, because my TV has a native resolution of 1366x768, there is always some scaling involved. What I would like to know is what resolution should I be setting the recorder to send to the TV when the source content is in standard definition? Is it a case of sending the TV a 576p signal when watching SD content, then switching back to 1080i or 1080p for HD content? And will sending the TV a 576p signal for SD content give a better picture?

I would experiment with all the options available but expect the difference may not be that noticeable, in which case I would go for the easiest, most convenient option and leave the recorder set to either 720p (if you mainly watch SD channels) or 1080i/p (if your viewing is mostly in HD).

The TV will have to scale no matter what option you choose as you say, but at least you won't have the hassle of digging through the menus each time.

Outputting at 720p would be the option that gets you closest to the TV's actual resolution and therefore involves the least amount of scaling, but 1080 might actually be the better option as you'll presumably get slightly better results if the TV downscales the HD channels from 1080 rather than upscaling from 720.

I would experiment with all the options available but expect the difference may not be that noticeable, in which case I would go for the easiest, most convenient option and leave the recorder set to either 720p (if you mainly watch SD channels) or 1080i/p (if your viewing is mostly in HD).

The TV will have to scale no matter what option you choose as you say, but at least you won't have the hassle of digging through the menus each time.

Outputting at 720p would be the option that gets you closest to the TV's actual resolution and therefore involves the least amount of scaling, but 1080 might actually be the better option as you'll presumably get slightly better results if the TV downscales the HD channels from 1080 rather than upscaling from 720.
Hi, many thanks for your reply. Yes, that is what I always thought because 720 is closest to 768 and so therefore less scaling occurs. The problem is though, on my Blu-ray Recorder it wont let me use 720p. It will only allow switching to 720p if the content you’re watching is in 720p. Quite annoying. So for all broadcast TV, I have to use either 1080i or 1080p. Would you recommend I choose i over p? And what should I use for watching SD broadcasts?

I stands for 'Interlaced' and P stands for 'Progressive' - I've experimented with both of these video output settings on my Humax PVR and couldn't see any difference and it would appear that the late, great forum member Graham Thompson shared the same view...

"Which is best depends entirely on how well your box de-interlaces to progressive compared to your TV. In practice you are unlikely to see much if any difference. Short answer is try both, and use whichever looks best. If you have a TV that does not de-interlace well the box may give superior pictures."

As for SD content, my previous comment still stands - I would not be willing to put up with the hassle of having to switch output resolution every time I changed from HD to SD, so would stick with the 1080i/p option, even if that means the box upscaling and the TV downscaling. SD content looks so poor regardless that I doubt it'll make much difference, but you'll only really find out with experimenting. Is there an 'auto' setting that would work for this, I wonder ?

I stands for 'Interlaced' and P stands for 'Progressive' - I've experimented with both of these video output settings on my Humax PVR and couldn't see any difference and it would appear that the late, great forum member Graham Thompson shared the same view...

"Which is best depends entirely on how well your box de-interlaces to progressive compared to your TV. In practice you are unlikely to see much if any difference. Short answer is try both, and use whichever looks best. If you have a TV that does not de-interlace well the box may give superior pictures."

As for SD content, my previous comment still stands - I would not be willing to put up with the hassle of having to switch output resolution every time I changed from HD to SD, so would stick with the 1080i/p option, even if that means the box upscaling and the TV downscaling. SD content looks so poor regardless that I doubt it'll make much difference, but you'll only really find out with experimenting. Is there an 'auto' setting that would work for this, I wonder ?

So, as an example, if you’re watching a 720x576i video, and you set the player/recorder to 720p, what would happen? Would the machine upscale the 576i video (and de-interlace) to 720p, then the TV will upscale it to 768p?

Alternatively, if you’re watching a 576i video and set the machine to 576p, would the machine upscale straight to 768p?

Unfortunately, neither my Blu-ray Player or Blu-ray Recorder has an Auto option.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom