Input Monitor Greyed out - How to fix ?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by kpjf, Jan 18, 2008.

1. kpjf

kpjf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I've had this problem for months, basically on my volume control the "input monitor" volume is greyed out, so that you can't change the volume level.

I record my dj mixes to my mini disc player and then from my mini-disc player to the computer, but because the input monitor is greyed out (and up about 80%) it means that the music is distorted. So, all i need to know is how to rectify this; does anyone know how to un-grey this volume control, all i need is to be able to push the volume level down so my mixes don't get distorted.

I have tried google etc but nothing seems to come up related to my problem.

Thanks

2. kpjf

kpjf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
  3. Erazerhead

Erazerhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Seems to be a driver issue. So check what sound card or sound chip you have.
    If the option is greyed out it means either it should work but installation failed, or this driver that you use is buggy or it is a standard driver and this feature would work with some other device using the same audio chip but not yours.

As for distortion - it should not happen if the input signal is lowered. Make sure you use line input not mic input (Sorry I mention this, but it happens, you know...) Open up Windows mixer under audio and make sure you selected line input as source. Can you hear what you input? Lower the volume until it does not distort. Hope this helps.

4. kpjf

kpjf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hi,

thanks for the reply. I am not sure what sound card i am using to be honest - i'm not really sure how i find this out.

The volume is sigmatel
    The computer is a dell dimension 5150
    motherboard = dm051 ? this any use?

When i try to update driver it asks me for the cd, but i have no idea where my cd is. But not even sure if this would fix the problem.

You see the problem is is that the input monitor is faded therefore can't be turned up or down. I don't think i am using mic input but on the back of the computer there's no actual name 'line in' just all these different icons, and i basically just use the one that enables sound to play through the speakers, then use supermp3recorder to record that sound, but i used to be able to change this volume setting no problem - one day it just went grey and couldn't change it (maybe i done something or installed something one day that done this).

Thanks for your help.

5. DellCA

DellCA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My name is Brad and I work at Dell headquarters in Round Rock, TX. The best thing to try first will be downloading the latest driver from Dell. The latest Windows XP driver can be downloaded here http://support.dell.com/support/dow...-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=3&fileid=150155

After downloading the file click run and it should fix the problem you are having with the audio. If this does not work or you require a different driver please let me know.

Brad
    Dell Customer Advocate

6. kpjf

kpjf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Thanks Brad. I tried what you suggested, downloaded the latest driver, restarted the computer as required, but when i started up the computer again, the vol control is the exact same.

Any suggestions?

I appreciate the help :)

7. DellCA

DellCA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you for the update. Let me look into this and I will get back with you.

Brad
    Dell Customer Advocate

8. kpjf

kpjf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Thanks Brad :)

9. jefferyupaul

jefferyupaul
    Standard Member