Input List Problem 42LG7000

Discussion in 'LG TVs Forum' started by Tenebrion, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Tenebrion

Tenebrion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys newbie here!
    I bought a 42LG7000 in the Boxing day sales and I must say I've been pretty happy with it until recently.
    Over the past couple of days pressing the 'Input' button on either the remote or the set itself only brings up 1 available option - usually 'Composite' and I'm unable to switch to any other AV or HDMI input (I use AV1 and HDMI1).
    Auto switching of the AV inputs works OK so this is not really a problem but the HDMI one definitely is!
    Software version 3.06

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  2. J4CK DANIELS

J4CK DANIELS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    If you press input once and then use the left and right navigation buttons you can select any of the inputs. the inputs normally change colour when they detect something connected to them. you can then cycle through only the CONNECTED inputs by only pushing the input button.

3. Tenebrion

Tenebrion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The point is there are no options - just one greyed out box with no image in it and jumbled letters. There's no way to scroll through anything because there's nothing there ! Only happens when the set has been switched on for some time and the only way to resolve it seems to be to switch everything off for a couple of hours.
    LG Customer service haven't come across this problem before

4. J4CK DANIELS

J4CK DANIELS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    ahhh... sorry! that sounds bad!! have you tried a factory reset? if not looks like you need a call from an LG engineer to update it... unloess anyone has a copy of the firmware and you can whack it on a USB stick and do it that way yourself! :(

5. sebbelcher

sebbelcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Classic sign of something caused by overheating. There have been various people reporting over heating issues, and even one of the TV smoking and catching fire!

Ensure it is well ventilated, plenty of clear space around the unit.

6. Tenebrion

Tenebrion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spoke again to LG Customer Service and they are coming Thurs to update the firmware although this is only to fix the sound disconnecting problem. The set is pretty well ventilated, it's not wall-mounted with plenty of space around it. Happened again today and the set had only just been switched on so my original thought that it only happened after the set had been switched on for some time was obviously wrong. LG asked me to post a pic so here it is (sorry about the quality).
    BTW - Tried a factory reset too.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  7. Tenebrion

Tenebrion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update: Disconnected set from mains when I went to bed last night worked fine this morning (although only switched it on for about 5 mins). Left it on standby for 2 hours - problem reoccurred. Disconnected from mains again for 2 hours - problem persists.
    Another call to LG to be told their techies are looking at it but no fix available yet.
    Update: LG have called back to say that they think this is a hardware issue. Apparently the engineer calling tomorrow to update the firmware will also change the main board which will hopefully cure the issue - fingers crossed!
    I have to say I am very impressed with LG Customer Service - always call back when they say they will and keep you updated. Well done LG CS !!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  8. Tenebrion

Tenebrion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the service engineer arrived today as promised. Unfortunately he had neither the main board nor the latest version of the software so a complete waste of everyone's time.
    However, his technical department did confirm they'd come across the input list problem before despite being told otherwise by LG. Starting to lose my confidence now.

9. Tenebrion

Tenebrion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No call back from the service guys so I rang them today. Apparently they have terminated their service contract with LG. Another call to LG who have now sent the job to one of their other service contract companies. Now waiting for another appointment :(

10. omisnad

omisnad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Which company has terminated their service contract?

11. Tenebrion

Tenebrion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest I can't remember who they were but it's now with Staffords who have the main board on back order - no eta for delivery though.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009