Input comparison: RGB vs. s-video

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mike72, Jul 19, 2004.

1. mike72

mike72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am currently awaiting delivery of my new JVC DR-MH30 recorder (without RGB input).

At present I have analogue cable tv, and do not have to worry about "the missing link", but perhaps it could become relevant at some point in the future.

I understand that RGB is superior in comparison with s-video - the question is how much? Some people/reviews state that there is a big difference, and others claim the difference is hard to spot.

Has any of you guys (or girls) experience in recording from both RGB and s-video (preferably the same source on the same recorder), and how would you compare the two results?

Regards,
    Mike72

2. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have used both RGB and s-video.While RGB is definitely better,if your recordings are done on any level bar the highest,you would be pushed to tell the difference.Your only problem may arise once you enter the digital world as most digiboxes ,of all kinds,do not have an s-video output,only RGB.Then you would be stuck with composite and you WOULD notice the difference then.However,go for Sky+ which has an s-video output

3. mike72

mike72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi phelings,

Thanks for the input!

I had suspected that the biggest problem would not be the recording quality, but to find a satellite receiver with s-video output. However it is reassuring to get it confirmed :smashin:

As I am living in Denmark Sky+ is not an option for me, but should the need arise I just have to find a satellite receiver with s-video output.