1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Input boards for PW6

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Mike Swannick, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Mike Swannick

Mike Swannick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The intention is to run a PW6 using a DVD recorder as a tuner and need to cater for a DVD player and an ntl set top box. Both the DVD player and the ntl box are currently transmitting their signals via SCART as that is either the best or only option. I would like the DVD recorder to connect via component if at all possible. My Q's are:

1. Best method of connecting this lot up given that each input board is ~£150.

2. Recommendations for a DVD recorder to fulfil the role set out above.

3. Your opininons if you can see a better or more cost effective way of acheiving the same objective or if I'm missing something out. I really don't want to use the ntl box for all TV signals unless I have to.

Also, I am currently squeezing the best functionality out of the ntl box by using a SCART cable with the overide signal pin disconnected (? pin 8) so ntl goes to other TV's in the house without it affecting the main TV viewing. We would like to keep this arrangement if possible. The signal is transmitted via the 2nd RF socket on the ntl box. I'm not sure if this will affect the above desired arrangement. Currently our VCR piggybacks a SCART connecter into the ntl then into a single SCART in the TV, with the DVD taking up the other (as it will accept RGB via SCART). This situation works well for us, but it looks like the recording hardware is about to take on a bigger role in the scheme of things and that may throw a spanner in the works. I hope this makes sense. :rolleyes:

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Dual slot board as it is same price as other boards and connect ntl to a DMR-E55 via Scart and then from DMR-E55 tocomponent input as E-55 will convert RGB from ntl (Digital) to Component as play DVD's in component.............
    VCR scart from ntl to VCR and VCR to composite input on DUAL slot board...... suing a scart to 3 RCA cable..... can record to both play tapes while recording ntl to DV-R and ntl to VCR if you must, and use PIP functions etc....

3. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    don't get a terminal board at all, plug E55 straight into VGA socket, that saves £80

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    While possible you lose some functionality and its well worth the Slight premium you pay.......To buy from a reliable and helpful source.....

5. Mike Swannick

Mike Swannick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for the late acknowledgement people. Thanks for the advice. I've drawn out your description on paper and it seems to make sense to me.

Cheers,

Mike.