Input 1 Failing constantly with Satcure PSU fitted on Thompson Box

TheBlueRaja

Hi All,
I have a Thompson Sky HD box and replaced all the caps on the PSU around about 2 to 3 months ago.

Recently, i.e. over the past week, im coming home every day to find a "No Satallite Signal being recieved" message on screen and the EPG is sluggish as hell.

Looking at the signal tab i can see that Input 1 is not locked and shows no signal, a reset of the box brings it back.

I've had a look around and noticed people taking about the Star washer and how soembody found that this, if not fitted, could cause a bad ground and lead to these types of issues, however i did not recieve a Star Washer from Satcure at the time? So when did this come about and does anyone have any links for more reading?

Im worried my PSU is stuffed now - does anybody know? Is it worth speaking to Satcure?

Masteriser

Your PSU will not be stuffed because there is no star washer fitted. Are you sure you didn't get one they are very small and easily lost.

The first thing I would recommend is to do a forced software download. The new software can get to a point where it gets its' knickers in a twist and the box will be flaky at best. Do this and see how it goes.

Quite a few of the Thomsons on the new EPG have no signal issues. My one does, to help it be more stable, I have disabled Mini TV, Anytime TV and Auto Standby (I have also disabled Instant rewind, but this is to save wear on the HDD). I also do a power cycle every two weeks. Doing this makes it pretty stable but nowhere near as good as it was with the old EPG. If you have done a forced software download and this still has not helped try disabling the first three above.

TheBlueRaja

Thanks, I have done a forced update as you describe, i also read this elsewhere tonight.

I have always had the instant rewind off for the same reason as you, same as Mini TV - i prefer listings.

Anyway - i'll see what happens over the next few days.

Thanks

MartinPickering

Martin - where does the "ground" come from? The Power to my Sky box is via two core cable i.e no ground - just a neutral (which I know is ground at a sub-station somewhere but...)

As far as this discussion is concerned, we are merely assuming the chassis is "ground".

In a general sense, all inter-connected equipment gets grounded somewhere, otherwise you'll get a standing voltage, on all chassis, of up to 120 volts AC, due to the way that some equipment connects suppression devices between live mains and chassis. This standing voltage is officially not dangerous but it can give you an interesting tingle, which is especially undesirable if you are up a ladder hanging on to an LNB!

Is it worth speaking to Satcure?
It's always worth writing. After all, the worst that can happen is that the horrible Martin chappie will send you a rude reply! But now that he's living on a Greek island in pleasant surroundings, with a glass of Raki at his elbow, that's slightly less likely to happen. ;)

Last edited:

ithorne

As far as this discussion is concerned, we are merely assuming the chassis is "ground".

This standing voltage is officially not dangerous but it can give you an interesting tingle, which is especially undesirable if you are up a ladder hanging on to an LNB!

Having been on the receiving end of a such induced voltages on chassis in the past I know what you mean. Get rubber feet on your ladders :)

TheBlueRaja

Just a followup for anyone else who may get this issue, the forced firmware update seems to have cured the problem and its been fine for around a week now.

:smashin:

Masteriser

Just a followup for anyone else who may get this issue, the forced firmware update seems to have cured the problem and its been fine for around a week now.

:smashin:

Excellent, I am so glad this has helped you. That damn new EPG software was very poorly tested don't you think?

It's always worth writing. After all, the worst that can happen is that the horrible Martin chappie will send you a rude reply! But now that he's living on a Greek island in pleasant surroundings, with a glass of Raki at his elbow, that's slightly less likely to happen. ;)

Raki??

You must be very close to Turkey then!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom