• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

inorganic LCD - how much of an improvement is it ?

tausifs

The only LCD PJ I ever owned and have any experience of was the Panasonic AX200, a 720p LCD PJ which is a few yrs old now.

It had 'smoothscreen' technonlogy which could never look razor sharp and so-called cartoon-like colours; moving to a single chip DLP PJ was a great improvement to me.

Now, was the colours issue on the LCD attributable to organic LCD ?
Do inorganic LCDs look better in this regard ? And do they have a faster on-off-on response time that their predecessors?

From what I have read , is it true that LCD PJs now have higher CRs than DLP ones ? But I presume as they are all 3 chip needing convergence, single chip DLPs still look sharper ?

And are all current LCD PJs inorganic ones ?

Thanks.

Avi

Distinguished Member
The only LCD PJ I ever owned and have any experience of was the Panasonic AX200, a 720p LCD PJ which is a few yrs old now.

It had 'smoothscreen' technonlogy which could never look razor sharp and so-called cartoon-like colours; moving to a single chip DLP PJ was a great improvement to me.

Now, was the colours issue on the LCD attributable to organic LCD ?
Do inorganic LCDs look better in this regard ? And do they have a faster on-off-on response time that their predecessors?

From what I have read , is it true that LCD PJs now have higher CRs than DLP ones ? But I presume as they are all 3 chip needing convergence, single chip DLPs still look sharper ?

And are all current LCD PJs inorganic ones ?

Thanks.

AFAIK the use of inorganic LCD in PJ's has been common practice for a number of years.

There are different types of contrast that measure different aspects of performance. One measures the absolute difference between a full black image and a full white image at different times. The use of a dynamic iris or similar can artificially enhance the measured number by reducing light output on the full black screen. So it's important to know how the number is produced i.e. is it native or enhanced.

The other contrast measures the impact on black level of having bright white images elements displayed on a black background. The bright elements of the image can pollute the black elements reducing the measured contrast between the two when display at the same time. This is more complex that the first (full field) contrast measured above.

It's very difficult to establish how a PJ performs just based on on paper specs. Even product using the same tech can perform differently. The other issue is how manufacturers measure the performance. This can mean it isn't possible to have the contrast and brightness claimed at the same time as accurate grayscale, gamma, colour etc. Other factors such as lens, optical engine, electronics etc affect the overall image performance.

AVI

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom