Innuos Zen Music Server Review - review discussion

It’s a good review......rates it very highly even against the Zenith SE.

Yes, it "took him two days of listening" to tell the Zenith SE apart from the Zen MK3. I'm not sure of the difference between the Zen Mk3 and the Zenith Mk3, as the Zen Mk3 (unlike the Zen Mk2) clearly has the triple-linear power supply and customs motherboard.

I think the innUOS products could be substantially improved by having an the Accurate Rip database plug-in added to the software operating system, like Db Power amp and other software products have.

Yes, it "took him two days of listening" to tell the Zenith SE apart from the Zen MK3. I'm not sure of the difference between the Zen Mk3 and the Zenith Mk3, as the Zen Mk3 (unlike the Zen Mk2) clearly has the triple-linear power supply and customs motherboard.

I think the innUOS products could be substantially improved by having an the Accurate Rip database plug-in added to the software operating system, like Db Power amp and other software products have.
I do admit I really like my Zenith MK3......I also liked the MK2 ....in fact I’m a big fan of the entire range, many have also mentioned that other servers favour having a screen on the front......I much prefer the clean no nonsense look of the Innuos range.

I just purchased a Zen Mini Mk3 and the digital optical and coax were dead on arrival! Quite aggravating. Of course the service line is closed on the weekends. Out of all the hifi equipment I purchased (new or used) this is the first product that was broken on arrival. Needless to say I am not a happy customer. Update, the faulty unit was replaced with a new unit. The new unit works perfect.

Last edited:
I had contemplated the purchase of a Zen Mini v.3. However, on pricing-up an Intel NUC8i7, as a Roon Rock/Roon Lifetime License, with Intel 180GB PCI-e, 8Gb RAM, plus 2TB HD - it was cheaper to buy compared to the Zen.

Hi.

I have an RME ADI-2 DAC feeding my Arcam SR250 but need a good streamer/cd ripper.... The mk3 seems to fit the bill...

I just don't know if I should get the Mk3 or the mini with linear psu?
Do I even need the external psu if I went for the mini version?

Any thoughts guys?

Not to hijack your thread but any views on the Innuos Zen mini iii compared to a Novefidelity/Cocktail Audio X45? Thank you in advance.

Been looking at the Zen mk3 for a while now, my only issue is that the Dac it's going into is Cyrus xp sig with no USB, so what would be my best option to connect the 2 devices?

Cheers Martyn

What you could do is buy a Rasberry Pi based streamer (eg. Allo) with either analog or coax out and connect that to the Innuos streamer ouput. This way you decouple the streamer from the server. I was surprised by the quality of the Allo Boss Player 1.2 (130€). It also supports Roon and the Innuos as well.

I too have a Zoneripper, which I use with my Linn streaming system. Any idea whether Zoneripper as a company is still actively in business? I need my Zoneripper max servicing/repairing and cannot get any response from Zoneripper support? if anyone can recommend ant independent repairers/servicers of Zoneripper or NAS drives in general woul be appreciated.

I too have a Zoneripper, which I use with my Linn streaming system. Any idea whether Zoneripper as a company is still actively in business? I need my Zoneripper max servicing/repairing and cannot get any response from Zoneripper support? if anyone can recommend ant independent repairers/servicers of Zoneripper or NAS drives in general woul be appreciated.
Try phoning Ripcaster.

I have recently added the Innuos Pheonix USB reclocker to my zenith MK3....with incredible results.

Does it use the Squeeze box server/interface, this is the root of most of my issues? My experience has been very problematic with this company!

It uses a "Web based" interface. Within the options is the ability to use it as a "squeeze lite" player.

I think it's a decent unit. My only issue with it is that it doesn't have a "trigger" option so I have to manually switch it on and off.

I'm not being lazy here but the fact that it won't switch on/off automatically is an issue for ease of use for the wife..... So she just streams off YouTube instead which defeats the purpose of having the Innuos really.

It uses a "Web based" interface. Within the options is the ability to use it as a "squeeze lite" player.

I think it's a decent unit. My only issue with it is that it doesn't have a "trigger" option so I have to manually switch it on and off.
It's a music server so why turn it off anyhow? My music server (Intel NUC) is always-on, ready to stream when needed.

It's a music server so why turn it off anyhow? My music server (Intel NUC) is always-on, ready to stream when needed.

I use the linear power supply with it and I don't fancy having that on 24/7 to be honest. I haven't looked at the specs of it though so it may not cost much?

I don’t use Roon. Their non Roon interface sucks and has just stopped working twice in 4 months.

I will admit that if you're using innuos' own database search software that it woefully inadequate and, if it wasn't for using ROON via its own app and having the innuos as just a ROON core that I probably would've sold it a long time ago.

It does a great job of ripping cd's (except classical albums) but I do agree that it can be very frustrating if using it just as it comes.....

I will admit that if you're using innuos' own database search software that it woefully inadequate and, if it wasn't for using ROON via its own app and having the innuos as just a ROON core that I probably would've sold it a long time ago.

It does a great job of ripping cd's (except classical albums) but I do agree that it can be very frustrating if using it just as it comes.....
Yes, CD ripping works great, but iPeng/Squeezbox really sucks!

I use the linear power supply with it and I don't fancy having that on 24/7 to be honest. I haven't looked at the specs of it though so it may not cost much?

You should leave it turned on.
The consumed power can be neglected since it’s a low power computer only consuming a few watts.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom