1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inkjet cartridges

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Dave N, Dec 16, 2002.

1. Dave N

Dave N
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having now spent more on the cartridges than on the printer, I was considering those refill type thingies to try and reduce the costs. Can anybody say if these are any good? (ie print ok and dont screw up the heads) and recommend a source?
    Have an Epson Colour Photo 890 (or is it 980?)

Ta
    Dave

2. minimad

minimad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, they print ok. Yes, they screw up the heads. Yes, the OEM (Epson) ink is better. Yes it is more expensive.

That ok? :D

Seriously, the refill units are ok. They can be very messy if you get it wrong, and they can dry out in the cartridge/print head - result - new printer.

I have a Stylus 760 (not the best in the world) and I have always used OEM cartridges. I would not use the refills on non-OEM as I don't want to take the risk - I can't afford a new printer.

There are cheapy places for printer food around the internet. The one I (and several other people I know) use it MX2 (not M Squared for those near Portsmouth!). THey are based in Jersey and ship to the UK for (I think) £1.95 PER PACKAGE not per cartridge. Check It Out

Collin

3. BigAde

BigAde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Can also strongly recommend MX2.com
    Good company and fast delivery.

Be VERY careful about ink cartridges... while the original Epson ones are undoubtly the best, who can afford the ridiculous prices you have to pay...?!!!
    :eek:

Don't bother with refills - the ink if usually of poor quality, what's more (in my experience) it is messy and not worth the hassle. I caused a rather serious Exxon Valdez on an old Canon printer I had by using these refills.

Also, some of the 'compatible' cartridges on sale are of rather dubious quality and not worth bothering with. The only ones I WOULD recommend (and recommend extremely highly!) is the Print-Rite range which MX2.COM sell (among others). The print quality from these is as near to Epson quality as you are likely to find. My Epson Photo 750 has been running on these things for as long as I've had it and as fussy as I am about print quality I can honestly say that I can't really see any significant difference between these and the Epson ones.

My 750 takes Print-Rite colour cartridges costing £4 for the colour and £3 for the black. Your 890 takes the £7 (both colour and black).

Here is the link:
    http://www.mx2.org/acatalog/MX2_org_Epson_Compatible_Ink_123.html

Why anyone bothers with buying Epson cartridges when ones of this quality are available is beyond me. :)

4. Dave N

Dave N
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    People, I thank you.

Have a peaceful Xmas.
    D

5. mirrormask

mirrormask

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You want remanufactured, NOT compatible. Remanufactured cartridges are made from brand-new parts, compatible ones are recycled. But OEM is still best and it's covered by printer warranties. Here's a useful buyers guide I found. :)

6. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    not sure where you have come up with that idea? Compatible means they will work with your printer and so may be new or recycled. Remanufactured means that they have created something to work with your printer which could be new or recycled.

I've had my Epson R300 for 2 years for which other than one slight hickup which was all my fault has been running on a continuous ink system or compatible cartridges both of which work out at less than £1 per cartridge. Are they as good as the Epson ones? probably not but when your printer takes 6 cartridges the question is possibly more accurately are the epson over 10 times as good? I would say certainly not.

7. h4rri

h4rri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    Also depends on whether the print head is on the cartridge or in the printer, if the latter then it doesn't matter whether you run original or compatible inks it will still die after time.

With ink being upwards or £30 a set and a new printer at £50 it's getting cheaper to change the printer than buy new inks