• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Initiating recording on Sky+

P

Phill Cog

Hi,

I've just had Sky + installed today (upgrade from exisiting installation). The last thing the engineer did was force a software update and leave it running. He had said that the record function would be sent over the air to the box and would be available in between two minutes and four hours:eek:

The box works - I can receive all the channels, but the recording doesn't. I just kept getting a message saying "you need to upgrade, contact Sky on 09705 800800". I called them and they said that they would resend the command and that, again, it would take between two minutes and four hours, although most likely to be ten minutes.

It hasn't worked:(

I've called again, but don't fancy a thirtyfive minute wait on a national rate line. I guess I'll have to try again, but wondered if anyone had any alternative suggestions?

FYI, I have a Thompson box which purports to be a PVR3.
Cheers
Phill

JayCee

Distinguished Member
I've called again, but don't fancy a thirtyfive minute wait on a national rate line. I guess I'll have to try again, but wondered if anyone had any alternative suggestions?

Just leave it overnight and it'll probably be okay in the morning.

P

Phill Cog

'Fraid not:(

I spoke to Sky again ad they are getting the card checked (how?) to see why it can't hold the rights to record. Another 24 hours though :mad:

I disconnected the phone line once the engineer had left - could that be causing the problem?
Cheers
Phill

Tuddy

Prominent Member
Phill Cog, I had Sky + installed yesterday and a Thomson box. I left in the phone line until I could record onto it( I phoned sky and whilst on the phone "Hey Presto" it started working).
Phone line now disconnected and all OK.

Broadz

Distinguished Member
Took me about six calls to Sky CS before they eventually activated the record and live pause functions. Each time I was told it'd happen some time in the next 4 hours, and to call back in 4 hours time if it still hadn't happened. It was only when I asked how much compensation I should apply for, for being kept on the phone and for not having the full Sky + functionality promised to me, that CS forwarded me to somebody with a little more intelligence than the normal muppets who answer the phone, and they got it activated immediately. I think the normal CS staff just send a request through to get it activated, whereas one of the supervisors actually does it while you are talking to them.

FRANTIC FRANC

Established Member
Yep it looks like it may not be activated on their system - especially if the movie & sports channels are working on the new box. A call to CC is going to be required.

Cheers, Franc

GMT

Established Member
Took me about six calls to Sky CS before they eventually activated the record and live pause functions. Each time I was told it'd happen some time in the next 4 hours, and to call back in 4 hours time if it still hadn't happened. It was only when I asked how much compensation I should apply for, for being kept on the phone and for not having the full Sky + functionality promised to me, that CS forwarded me to somebody with a little more intelligence than the normal muppets who answer the phone, and they got it activated immediately. I think the normal CS staff just send a request through to get it activated, whereas one of the supervisors actually does it while you are talking to them.

not at all.

they all have the same privelages on their computers.
depends on the situation.most cases are that there is no sky+ subs on the accounts "portfolio". happened to me.

P

Phill Cog

:thumbsup:

It's working

I didn't do anything other than wait:)

Thanks for the help chaps & chapesses.
Cheers
Phill

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom