Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Initially chuffed with Z1 but now have problem

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by calscot, May 13, 2003.

1. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got my Z1 a week and a half ago and had about 35hrs of excellent viewing enjoyment.

Today I was switching it on to calibrate it with a new FLD filter but it won't power up and the "lamp" light on the unit is flashing. Doesn't say anything about this in the manual. Anyone have any clues?

I bought it from Nexnix and they say they'll do a swap out which means I won't have to do without a pj for long.

I thought I had a good one with no pixel, dust or vb problems that I can see. Well peed off.

Otherwise I'm impressed with the pj although the blacks could be better (hence the fld) and the deinterlacer seems pretty poor, so I'm still looking for the ideal prog scan solution. It seems to simply line double a lot giving loads of jaggies and moire, and I find the line twitter really annoying on a progressive display. (I wish they had invented verticlal interlacing instead meaning we wouldn't see this so much).

Any advice welcome. I've read about the Philips 963, Marantz 4300, HK 25, Limit 9900, Pro V, CSC1200T and BriteView. They all seem to have their problems and the posts here make it all hard to come to a conclusion. I think a whole new batch of low priced PS players may be on their way, so maybe I should be patient.

At the moment I'm feeding it from a Philips 880 DVD recorder via a 15m Lindy SVideo cable. The picture seems otherwise excellent from DVD and not bad from Sky which is plugged into the recorder's scart input. The tuner receives analogue cable and is passable although the picture softens when I use Zoom mode for the non widescreen signal.

The DVD recorder is a neat solution for providing DVD, analogue TV, digital tv, and recorded programs all via the one box. Pity it doesn't do prog scan or it would be perfect.

I'm using the coffee table and have to keystone a bit and it doesn't quite fill the screen - not ideal. So I'm looking forward to getting it on the ceiling for an unadulterated picture which fits the black edges. A mount should be arriving any day now.

I get a wee bit of pixelisation at just under 2x screen width even though I defocus a tad but it's not very often and when I'm absorbed in the film I don't notice at all.

Cheers,
    Cal.

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Have you considered getting something like the iScan Ultra which would enable you to feed all your sources via the one box.