initial setup problems

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by marcoeser, Dec 19, 2006.

1. marcoeser

marcoeser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello,

My 9500 ultra, crystalio and screen was setup a year ago now. Within that year I've been having so much bad luck, as they say here in Greece, my room has had a 'bad eye' This is a new house and my cinema is in the basement with a wooden floor. The first problem was we had a small flood and all the wood came up, putting the room out of action for a few months until we figured out what went wrong, We put down tiles instead so we wouldn't have the problem again.

When the system was all ready to use the crt kept loosing the image, and the h-fail light would come on, image wrap arounds would also happen. I thought the dvd player was the problem, we connected a crystallio II and there was no signal, so I got a new Philips 963SA, but the problems were still there. I think i solved it though, changing a few settings in my crystalio. I haven't had those problems again.

Now i seem to have gotten some control over my new toys, but there are still a couple of problems i need some help with.

1. Convergence, i seem to be continuously correcting it every few days. After watching a film I check to see if the convergence is ok, but i still see it's off in some places. Am i doing something wrong, why doesn't it rembermber, why is is always slightly off?

2. Focus, I can see quite clearly that at the top-center of the screen, focus is sharp, but at the bottom focus is blurred. It is very anoying especially when credits come on. Is it something easy i can adjust?

3. Image size. Ive found that the image image was being cropped by quite a bit. i have had to reduce the image from the crystalio by 92% and then adjusted the Phase and size to get the whole image on the screen. Otherwise when i set the Crstalio to 100% i cant the whole image. I set all the blanking to 0 and when i try to reduce the size I'm reducing the black mask around the image and when i reduce the phase I'm just moving the image behind the black mask. Im pretty sure there is something wrong here, but i don't know how to fix it.

4. refresh rate. I can see the 3 colors (rainbow effect). I'd like to try and increase the refresh rate to see if it fixes the problem, but not sure how. At the moment the crystalio is set at 1080p @ 60hz, zooming to 994 lines.

Apart from these small niggles, i am blown away by the quality of the image, especially if the dvd has been properly made - but there is so many that haven't.

marc

2. Red Dwarf

Red Dwarf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would say that for problem 1 you need to leave the projector on and displaying an image or the white startup screen for at least 20 minutes before converging so the projector can get up to a stable operating temperature.
    Once you have done so whenever you switch on the projector for the first 20 or so minutes the pictures will be slightly out of alignment but once warmed up should be fine.
    Simply leave it displaying either the white warmup screen or a TV station for 20 minutes before watching movies so the entire movie will be displayed at the best quality.

For problem 2, I would say that the flooding has caused moisture buildup and/or mould to form on the lenses, have a look with a torch and if the lens looks foggy then it will need a clean, you may have to remove the lenses and clean inside, possible even disassembling each lens to give it a thorough clean of each lens element.
    There was a thread here or on the similar American forum about lens cleaning and what to use including some recipes for cleaning solution that won't remove any colour filter/anti reflection coatings.

Sorry I can't help with the other questions.

3. Dr. Evil

Dr. Evil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You need to unlock the memory before doing convergence, on the remote go to Utilities, then [1] Source setup, then [3] Current Setup:Locked. Unlock it by pressing [3] do the convergence and then lock the memory again.

4. ChrisOH

ChrisOH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
  5. marcoeser

marcoeser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks for all your suggestions, a dirty lens, interesting, i'll look into it :thumbsup: and Chris, that pdf has helped me alot, on another problem, thanks.

Last night & today, i've spent a few hours over the crystalio manual and website forum and kinda sorted out problems 3&4.

I have set up my crystalio with these 2 setting within Dynavout:

PAL DVD:

1440 x 864 @ 75.17Hz (True 75.00Hz)

Horizontal scan rate 68.028kHz
    Horizontal total active 1440
    Horizontal front porch 061
    Horizontal sync width 106
    Horizontal back porch 168
    Vertical refresh rate 75.17Hz
    Vertical lines 864
    Vertical front porch 003
    Vertical sync width 007
    Vertical back porch 031

NTSC DVD:

1440 x 1080 @ 60.07 (True 59.94Hz)

Horizontal scan rate 67.278kHz
    Horizontal total active 1440
    Horizontal front porch 058
    Horizontal sync width 132
    Horizontal back porch 190
    Vertical refresh rate 060.07Hz
    Vertical lines 1080
    Vertical front porch 003
    Vertical sync width 004
    Vertical back porch 033

My problem is when a NTSC DVD is played the image is shifted to the right and slightly smaller compared to the PAL. I can adjust it using phase and size, but then i have to change it back to play PAL,

Now using that last Pdf from CRTprojectors, i can set up 2 memories and ASR will do its job, sweet, :clap:
    It might be a bit complicated having 2 memories, but i'm guessing it'll solve the problem.

My next project will be to delve into the marquee manual & sort out the slightly distorted image, image needs to be slightly rotated, keystone tweeked, and theres an awful fish bowl effect on the bottom of the screen........:confused:

will i ever stop tweeking & adjusting, or is that just one of the joys of this small hobbie :rotfl:

6. Mad Mr H

Mad Mr H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    rotated image ??? IF ALL tubes need to rotate then check your Screen and PJ are level.

Keystone AFTER image rotation

Fish Bowl ???? Could you explain more ??? or a picture if possible.

7. Barcoing Mad

Barcoing Mad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    If you get your memory handling right, the PJ should happily switch between PAL and NTSC setups automatically.

8. marcoeser

marcoeser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've attached a pic of the test grid from my CRT. Its a bit fish bowly from the camera lens :rolleyes: but you can see where the lines get cut off form the screen's frame. Any suggestions how i should take a better pic?

The ASR pdf has done the job, Thankx :clap:

Attached Files:

9. Mad Mr H

Mad Mr H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    It appears that your blue width is set to high.

Keystone needs adjustment, and side bow.

It is very difficult to tell things from the old monitor on my desk.

Blue width would be my first thing to tackle.

Can anyone with a Marquee help ??? I dont know its menu system very well........

10. ChrisOH

ChrisOH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi,

AsAndy suggests imay be that you needto look at the overall set up.

Ihave an 8500 at the moment and have learned a lot by reading the stuff on crt's site where that ASR document comes from.

There is more there (and on Curt's) on how to get into the service menu to allow you to set up things. I suppose it depends on the provenance of the PJ, who se it up, how much time you want to spend and how deep into the machine you are prepared to put your hands (astig etc)!

The usual advice I have read is to do a full factory reset, center all ajusttments in the service menu and start again. I've done this a few times and have learned a little each time but it is time consumng. Even now I have not figured even half of it out, there are so many adjustments but, its fun tinkering.

Chris

Chris

11. marcoeser

marcoeser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

I have done a thorough rework of the electronic setup/keystone etc and the picture has improved ten-fold. But there are a couple of points of the set up that worry me.

1. i've had to set the Horiz C Linearity to 0. To me that is a huge red flag, im guessing there is something wrong, im guessing the mechanical setup of the lenses

2. Second point is that i can't reduce the height to fit the screen. I've been in contact with Henry @ crtprojectors. He's said that the 9500 marquees needs a mod to a board to do anamorphic screen size.

Mad Mr H, can you explain what the "blue width is set to high" ?

Chris, yes, that my next lesson the the coming year, learn about the mechanical setup.

I hope everyone had a merry christmas. My new year resolution is to spend more time on my crt to get the most out if it :rotfl:

marc.

12. Mad Mr H

Mad Mr H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Im about to post "Marquee Anamorphic Modification" thread......