Question Initial planning for the basement conversion ....

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by mikeh71, Jan 23, 2018.

1. mikeh71

mikeh71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Hi all

I am in the process of planning for a basement conversion which starts mid April and I wondered if anyone who has carried out a similar project had a Bill of materials or list of all things / items to consider so that I can put a budget cost against each item.

Thanks in advance for any help

Mike

2. budgieb

budgieb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    hi mate,

i've just started a new thread to track my basement conversion:

Basement conversion - M and K inwall 150 series home cinema conversion

starting to compile all costs etc now, not sure i will post them to my thread but happy to share with you everything here if needed. give me a couple of weeks and hopefully will have more answers.

any questions though just let me know.

cheers

3. mikeh71

mikeh71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Hi budgieb
    Your message has been a breath of fresh air to be honest!!
    I just just read your posts and I am converting something very similar.

My current kit or future kit at present is :-

Kef Q500s
    Kef Q200c
    Kef Eggs (rear and surround)
    Kef CI-160QR (Atmos x 4)
    Either Denon 4400 or Marantz SR7012 (think I may opt for the Denon though as it will be mainly used for movies etc)

I too will look at the google sketch and sketch something up - I have got a local tanking company to come and do all of that kind of work and they are due in on 23/04/18 so not long now and want to hit the ground running with my designs etc but I also need alot of soundproofing so will be interested any recommendations.

Many thanks again for your reply - out of interest where are you located?
    Mike

4. budgieb

budgieb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I'm in the stockport area (North West). my conversion is hopefully beginning mid march, estimated 12 weeks.

sketchup has been extremely useful and relatively quick and easy to learn, if you struggle give us a shout, but i just learnt from a few youtube vids.

sound proofing wise, i spent a lot of time researching things like green glue etc. but the loss of depth is just too great i'm afraid. there are alternatives to acoustiblok which i suspect are a lot cheaper but i thought the extra cost is probably worth the extras confidence as it appears to be a premier product.

Auralex do a slightly cheaper version (about £4 per sq meter), and there are some on amazon that appear much cheaper but having not really had any experience of using them again i think i am just opting for a bit more confidence by going for a premier solution. some you tube vids for MLV appear to make it look very stiff and difficult to manipulate, but the acoustibloc seems very flexible and i guess would be easier to install. It maybe a waste of cash but we will see. I'm still to source some insulation and whilst acoustibloc sell it, they were excellent recommended i try to source something more local to save on transport costs. it's this kind of honest i prefer from vendors that gives me the confidence to work with them to be honest.

i will be managing this part of the install of this myself as my basement guys have never done anything to this spec before but the acoustibloc guy said it wouldn't be a problem, its not difficult.

5. budgieb

budgieb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    oh, something i think you really need to consider! mounting your TV and speakers etc. i'm not sure of the weight but if its anything like mine i have had to plan for MDF to be fixed so the TV can be mounted, and the inwall speakers need to sit between the joists, so i have had to increase the size of the batons to accommodate the depth of speakers and also the exact positioning of the speakers as the batons fit to the wall plugs that secure the tanking membrane. so i need to be clear where everything goes for the tanking studs etc. before the installation begins.

I plan to simply draw on the walls where the speakers will be so they can apply the fixings around my markers. also need to take in to account the loss of depth so here is where Sketchup has been invaluable, as you can see i have marked the angles according to the atmos specifications.

i've also kept surround speakers as low as possible at ear height, not above (90cm from floor based off the seating i will be purchasing ones as low as possible.) This is not only recommended by Rob at Gecko cinema but i have seen some posts out there talking about how Dolby plans to revise their specs and lower the recommended surround positions. This also gives more separation between ceiling speakers and surrounds etc.

6. budgieb

budgieb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    also interested to hear any of your thoughts plans etc? :) where are you located?

7. mikeh71

mikeh71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Hi
    I think I really do need to get going with the plans etc with it only being 9 / 10 weeks away ...... Basically my cellar is circa 4m x 4m and I need to relocate the heating system to another smaller room next door and relocate the gas meter etc. I am actually digging down around 18 inches to retain the height of around 1.9m - 2.0m.

I am just interested in future proofing it too but we are on quite a tight budget of around £20K - I have most of the kit I need for now and am looking at either a 7.1.4 or 5.1.4 system, I forgot to add previously that I also have a Monolith Plus DF which I recently purchased from the forums.

I think as I have Q500's etc I am just going to floor mount these but I do see that many people now wall mount the speakers etc but the ones you are going for and others that are installing i.e. XTZ are unfortunately out of my price range so will have to go with what I have.

In the next few days I will come back to you with an initial plan so that you can see what mine will hopefully look like and just so you are aware I only live in Chesterfield so it is not too far away!!!

Thanks for your replies too

Mike