1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Initial impressions and review of a PW6

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by tij303, Jan 8, 2005.

1. tij303

tij303
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Took delivery of the AV Sales PW 6 yesterday. In addition all the ordered leads from the various other companies turned up :thumbsup: , and I had 3 hours to get it fitted to the wall and running via a new amp into a 7.1 speaker set up :rolleyes: before friends came round to watch it. No pressure then.

From a delivery perspective everything was fine, with the courier happy to check the screen - as I was told he would be. The bracket and boards came separately - but are easy enough to fit using 14 mm masonry bolts. Cables from tv cables and cable universe (branded and oem) all excellent although the on line forum discount didnt work when I ordered (dead cheap anyway). Thanks to all of them for being so efficient - but a special thanks to AV Sales (Alastair and Andy) who have been absolutely superb - particularly in getting the kit to me yesterday :clap:

Setting up was a fiddle particularly running multiple signals through the amp and into the screen, with a little bit of signal degradation (I think) running the s video from sky + into component. The wires are yet to be hidden behind the wall so it may be better running direct if I can fit all the cables behind. Also the actual bracket/bar the plasma hangs on was slightly skewed (bit of missoldering/build quality issue) meaning the plasma hung lopsided - not massively but enough to niggle - easily sorted with blue tac. And yes I did fit the bracket with a spirit level.

(Sound via yammy dsp 750 + mission m30 cinema 7.1 set up excellent but it will take years to figure the amp out and this forum is about screens ):

My direct comparison is with my other Tv a philips pw36 9618 (pixel plus etc). It is a large screen and displays phenomonal output via rgb DVD signal (despite some forum opinions it is an excellent tv). Although an acquired taste the display has a '3d' ness to it that I doubted the plasma would come close to touching. It isnt so hot with low quality sky signals.

Fed both component (via amp) and s video (direct) I have to say I am astonished at the PQ on the panny. Even close up it seems to be very sharp with superb colours ( even running on a contrast setting of 7 which is what we watched lotr return on last night). Turning the contrast and sharpness up seems to create a similar 'style' image to the pixel plus output of the philips albeit without any artifacts, pixelation or smearing (all of which ocur at times on the philips) and I have to say a more 'cinematic' look. Not soft but more like a 'painting'. Using the best bit of technical equipment I have for testing - my wife - I didnt say anything and just let the film play. On low contrast she immediately raved about the picture - job done really. DVD is the better signal, and issues still arise with sky - bravo anyone - but I am very pleased with the direct s video feed using a decent cable and it is certainly better than when I plugged a thor rgb scart directly through.

Whilst I have tried to use decent quality components I dont think the set up is anything special and I am paricularly fussy about picture quality. My message to anyone considering getting a plasma is buy some decent leads - get component as a cost v quality option to start with - and I doubt you will be disappointed. If you get a PW 6 you wont anyway - its an excellent bit of kit and up there with CRT as far as Im concerned.

On a final note Ive been searching threads to no avail - can anyone give a definitive answer as to what settings I should use to run it in, and for how long. Seeing as it only has 11 hrs on the clock I dont want to push my luck. :thumbsup:

2. njr

njr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a bit concerned about you comments on turing the contrast up, it is way too high straight out of the box anyway. High contrast is the thing that is most likely to cause screen burn. After Using DVE to set up contrast and brightness on normal mode, I am running with contrast at -15 and brightness at -5 so I would have thought your optimum settings shouldnt be a million miles away from these...

3. tij303

tij303
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    njr thanks I have no ideal about the settings and there is nothing in the manual. How long should I keep these settings for ?

4. njr

njr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    forever!

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    150-200 hours low brightness and contrast get a copy of DVE PAL to set it up optimally from there ( few weeks at lesser PQ to give many years of happy use withgreat PQ)

6. tij303

tij303
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Horney dragon thanks for that - hope I havent caused myself any problems already. :blush:

7. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Congrats tij...now sit back and enjoy...

..and maybe start planning for that scaler :D :devil:

JJ

8. tij303

tij303
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers Jasonjo, Im already thinking about how to enhance the sky feed ! Might try some drilling tonight to start hiding the leads.

9. theroux

theroux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How can i get a copy of DVE PAL? Is that something i'll have to buy or can it be downloaded? I presume thats for getting the best setting for screen?

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    need to buy it see peiro in DVD powerbuys forum.......£13 includes colour filters (useless without)