Initial Experience - Not too good....

mikeybabes2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well after much hemming and hawing over which console to buy we pulled the trigger on an Xbox One.

In the end, the rather dull range of PS4 titles and the very interesting Xbox Fitness app persuaded the family and we duly trotted off to buy one. We got a great deal at Game; the Titanfall edition with two extra games for a little over 400 notes, plus another three games from the 'pre-owned' department. Happy days, or so I thought. The kids will be sorted this evening and the wife and I could have a little time to ourselves....... how wrong I was.

I was expecting a reasonably sizeable update - but at 600 mb it wasn't as big as I feared - and it was all downloaded and updated within half an hour - even on my modest 5mb broadband line.

The kids were absolutely champing at the bit to have a go - but despite the fact I got home just before 4pm and it's nearly 8.45, we have only managed to get one game installed. Everything else is queued and installing extremely slowly. It's installing Ryse at the moment. I really wish I had put another disk in first. I took the dog out for a 20 minute walk and it had managed to move from 85% to 88% installed.

You can tell that this isn't an Apple product. Can you imagine the product manager giving this to Steve Jobs - He would have had his P45 after 10 minutes. (Mind you it would have cost £ 1500 from them)

Over 4 hours later and only one game installed. Oh crikey - it's just ticked over to 89% ! Will it manage to install before I retire. But I've just noticed this is an 18 game - so I shouldn't have put this in yet in any case as it's not one of the kids ones.

Oh, it also seems I need to get our 5 year old an email address so he can have his own account. (And no he won't be playing Ryse - I can just picture him being excluded for playing gladiators at nursery - no thanks!).

I'm sure it will all be worth it in the end - if it does end. But first impressions last and I'm not very impressed so far.

Roll on 90%

Games download updates as part of the install process. These updates can be several gigabytes in size. Some are even 10-12Gb. On your 5mb connection it is going to take sometime I'm afraid.

Only installing one game at a time helps, waiting for it to completely finish the install before starting the next.

Having said that my connection is similar to yours and no game has taken more than an hour or two and even then most are playable after about 10 minutes.

Just a quick note, I don't know if you know this but you don't need the game to fully install to start playing. I recently installed Ryse, I am sure I could play it at around 40% installed. When I booted it up and started the campaign, I did have a 5 minute wait while it installed some of the chapter. But from disc in, to actually playing, it was about 15-20 minutes.

I left it overnight so Ryse is all installed now. In fact it seems that I had a couple of titles that needed massive updates - and it just so happened they are the first couple I put in. In fact some of the updates were so big I'm wondering if there is anything of the title actually on the disk !

Anyway the kids are now suitably ensconced in the back room playing a lego game. But as an initial experience it's pretty poor. However, I think that all is starting to go well now so the xbox can consider itself out of the doghouse today. It's still on probation though.

Cheers guys

I can appreciate your frustrations. However, the PS4 can be just as bad. Games install slightly quicker but the downloads can take equally as long as the XB1.

The initial setup of the xb1 is appalling. I had pretty much the same experience. Kids were so disappointed the day we got it home. It was basically a brick for a day before we could use it. Updates wouldn't install, the game we had took an age to install and kinect was not picking up anything we said. What kid wants to go through installs and setups all day? I was just glad we didn't get it Christmas day or the thing wouldn't have been even working until boxing day.

The initial setup of the xb1 is appalling. I had pretty much the same experience. Kids were so disappointed the day we got it home. It was basically a brick for a day before we could use it. Updates wouldn't install, the game we had took an age to install and kinect was not picking up anything we said. What kid wants to go through installs and setups all day? I was just glad we didn't get it Christmas day or the thing wouldn't have been even working until boxing day.

My initial set up was pretty fast.
Considering I was trying to get everything ready after I got home from a midnight launch so I could download Titanfall over night as I had work the next morning, the initial console and controller updates were really fast.
Also, if you're installing a game from a disc, you can start playing once it is about 25-50% done, and the rest will continue as you play.

Wait till the pads start up go tits up. Ive gone through a few.

What do you mean by this?
I've just had an issue where the pad wouldn't turn the console on.
And considering I've just got this back as a replacement, that doesn't sound too good.

I've also had a couple of instances where Kinect won't turn the console one either.
It can hear me when the console is on as I can tell it to pause blu-rays.

What do you mean by this?
I've just had an issue where the pad wouldn't turn the console on.
And considering I've just got this back as a replacement, that doesn't sound too good.

I've also had a couple of instances where Kinect won't turn the console one either.
It can hear me when the console is on as I can tell it to pause blu-rays.
Sync issues, very poor build quality. Took three attempts to find a titanfall controller with out issues. Day one controller's had a dead spot on the left trigger. With me sourcing my xbox one from asda, they wouldn't replace just the controller's, they wanted the full bundle back, even though there was nothing wrong with the console.

I think what I've had is a minor hickup.
Kinect heard me fine a little while ago and switched the console on. Though I haven't tried using just the controller since the non-response earlier this evening.

I'm on my second Xbox One, after the last one died. The sad thing is, this box is doing the same as the last one did just before it died. Kinect hears my voice fine and voice commands when on work 99% of the time, however powering on is still an issue, it worked flawlessly to start with, but it's doing the same as the last one now, the box hears the Xbox on command, the light glows, the AV receiver turns on with the TV, but the Xbox turns off. Only way to power it up, is by using the button on the front and it takes between 30 second and 1 minute, which is a lot longer than normal

I'm now waiting for the day the box just won't boot up like the last one (about a month after the initial issues)

I'm on my second Xbox One, after the last one died. The sad thing is, this box is doing the same as the last one did just before it died. Kinect hears my voice fine and voice commands when on work 99% of the time, however powering on is still an issue, it worked flawlessly to start with, but it's doing the same as the last one now, the box hears the Xbox on command, the light glows, the AV receiver turns on with the TV, but the Xbox turns off. Only way to power it up, is by using the button on the front and it takes between 30 second and 1 minute, which is a lot longer than normal

I'm now waiting for the day the box just won't boot up like the last one (about a month after the initial issues)
Mine has issues like that as well. Other people have posted it on preview forums as some have issues as well. It seems to be a firmware issue not a console hardware issue

Not really a valid ground for complaint IMO. There is a 600Mb update, which you have to expect. If you are on a 5Mb connect you cant blame MS for it being slow.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom