Inherited a HW-E350 soundbar - connecting to TV 'No ARC' problems

benmango

Hi all,
First things first I'm a sound tech newbie so please forgive me :D

My friend has just given me his old soundbar - Samsung HW-E350 to be precise, and am having trouble hooking it up to my semi-old 40" Samsung TV - UE40C5100 (manual here - http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201004/20100405104644593/BN68-02656E-00Eng-0302.pdf). I only want it connected so that I can watch the TV's built in Freeview through aerial as well as my PS4 (for Netflix, Prime, etc) but I couldn't get it the aerial part to work.

I was trying to follow guidance last night, and managed to get the PS4 working with it by running a HDMI cable from the PS4 into the soundbar's "HDMI in" socket, THEN running a HDMI cable from the soundbar's "HDMI out" socket into the TV's HDMI 1 socket.
Doing the above and putting the TV/soundbar both onto HDMI mode works perfectly. The TV's remote even works at changing the soundbar volume.

However, when I try to watch TV normally via Freeview through the aerial, the soundbar says "No ARC" and sound will only come through the TV speakers.

I'm hoping someone can tell me the easiest way to get this fixed? I have an optical port on the soundbar that could be used if it's easy. I realise this isn't "new spec" equipment, but any help would be much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Ben

Last edited:

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
ARC (Audio Return Channel) - utilises the HDMI cable which normally delivers video from the Soundbar to the TV, though it requires both the Soundbar and TV to be ARC compatible.

Optical - where your TV is not ARC enabled use an Optical cable from the TV audio Out to Optical In on the Soundbar.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom