• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Infuriating Harmony Software!!

MitsiTurbo

Am I the only person who finds this infuriating?!

Im sure im not missing something, but I want to create an activity where I just choose what commands go into it and in what order. I have tried the generic activity but dont get anywhere with that either.

All I want is an activity that turns the TV and amp on. Then other activities that I can use to change once theyre turned on. E.g. Im usually watching Sky, if I want to play 360, I want an activity that turns it on and changes the inputs. It seems impossible to create an activity that doesnt have on/off for the TV and amp integrated into it!

Please help as im on the verge of smashing a rather expensive remote into a million pieces!

If there is a way where I can just do new activity, this device, this command, done?

czzer

Don't try to fight the Harmony concept...work with it and it will do what you want.

Set up Activities as you would use your equipment, and the Harmony will do the rest.

eg, set up a "Watch Sky" activity that uses your TV and your amp. Set up a "Play 360" activity that includes your TV, amp and 360.

When you select "Watch Sky" the TV and amp will be turned on and set to the correct inputs.

If you then select "Play 360" the remote knows the TV and amp are already on, so it leaves them on. It will turn on the 360, then set the TV and amp to the correct inputs.

Basically if you set up activities for everything you do, the remote will work exactly as you want it to, without you having to fight anything.

MAW

Banned
Not strictly true, there are some areas where you simply do not have enough control. I have 2 harmony customers where we've had to replace it with a pronto, specifically with plasma lifts, you cannot put the instructions in in your order, it can reorder tham at any time unpredictably during the programming process. Obviously it knows commands on a specific device must be in a certain order, but not device to device. The 'reorder' command is inadequate, some devices are greyed out.

I agree!

I want to alter a setting for listening to music, I could easily edit out the part that is wrong, but it is greyed out, so I have to redo the whole thing from scratch, which is more time consuming.

Mevlock

Distinguished Member
I agree that the remote would be far more useful if Logitech would just let you have more configurability than what they allow.

However it is prefectly possible to solve the op's problem by following czzer's advice. Setup an activity for each device you want to watch (inlcuding switching the tv and reciever on) and the Harmony will remember if the tv is on or not if you need to switch between them.

h31p

I, too, am having problems at the moment. When trying to change activity from, say, watch Sky to watch a DVD, everything works fine except for the Sky box not turning off. It's the same when changing these activities in the opposite way - watch a DVD to watch Sky - the DVD player doesn't turn off...

:suicide:

Any ideas?

Thanks

I, too, am having problems at the moment. When trying to change activity from, say, watch Sky to watch a DVD, everything works fine except for the Sky box not turning off. It's the same when changing these activities in the opposite way - watch a DVD to watch Sky - the DVD player doesn't turn off...

:suicide:

Any ideas?

Thanks

There is a question during setup.. do you want the device to turn off when not in use? Also.. do not have the device selected during the setup. Only select devices that need to be used.

MitsiTurbo

Don't try to fight the Harmony concept...work with it and it will do what you want.

Set up Activities as you would use your equipment, and the Harmony will do the rest.

eg, set up a "Watch Sky" activity that uses your TV and your amp. Set up a "Play 360" activity that includes your TV, amp and 360.

When you select "Watch Sky" the TV and amp will be turned on and set to the correct inputs.

If you then select "Play 360" the remote knows the TV and amp are already on, so it leaves them on. It will turn on the 360, then set the TV and amp to the correct inputs.

Basically if you set up activities for everything you do, the remote will work exactly as you want it to, without you having to fight anything.

Ahhhhhhhh.... and then penny drops!!

I didnt realise that the remote remembers what it has done previously. Now it is working alot better! It does actually make sense now.

What I dont understand is, when I create a new activity it keeps adding a turn source device to tuner setting. Which the equipment doesnt have! E.g. SkyHD, Slimp3 etc. Is there anyway to remove this?

What I dont understand is, when I create a new activity it keeps adding a turn source device to tuner setting. Which the equipment doesnt have! E.g. SkyHD, Slimp3 etc. Is there anyway to remove this?

I don't actually understand what you mean?

MitsiTurbo

Sorry, now that I read that back, it is actually gibberish! Hopefully ill do a better job of it this time!

These are screen grabs of my 'Watch SkyHD' and 'Listen to Slimp3' activities:

untitled.jpg

untitled1.jpg

When creating the activity, the software has automatically added the 'is set to Tuner' setting. Now neither the SkyHD box or Slimp3 player have a tuner setting, so ive no idea why it has been added and I cannot remove it from the activity. Doesnt appear to make any difference to the activity, its just abit confusing as to what it is supposed to do!

I think my Virgin Box is set to tuner. It's probably the correct setting.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom