InfraRed speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Steve_Morris, Feb 2, 2002.

1. Steve_Morris

Steve_Morris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am currently considering installing a new home cinema system in my home, but have a problem with running cable for the rear satellite speakers due a wooden floor.
    I am therefore considering using cordless/infrared speakers, does anyone know who (if anyone) makes some and has anyone used soem and got good results ?
    I am aware of possible problems such a people moving in the room can upset the signal, any other potential problems I need to consider ?

2. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve they will need to have onboard amps. Which need mains power of course. So there is still some wiring to do.

I am only aware of a few cheapy PC type devices which will sound... well you can guess.

Problems that I can see are different amps to your main one and also matching the speakers to your fronts and centre. Its going to be really difficult. If your like me you will start to hear differences and be bugged by it.

Realy the only option is to get cable under or over the floor/ceiling. It will be worth it. There are some flat cables you can run allong the skirting board and paint over. Dont know who makes them.
    Rog

3. KAO

KAO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve, I too have a wooden floor. I run the cables for the rear speakers up the wall/wall junction and across the wall/ceiling junction and down the wall/wall junction at the other side. White cable on white walls, hot-glued in, very neat. You don't even notice them unless you are looking for them.

4. Dave Nicholson

Dave Nicholson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got some decent cordless speakers made by Ross. They're not the cheap ones that they sell in Argos, they are bigger and better than those. The Argos ones are about £70 a pair, whereas mine were £180 a pair.

The small transmitter takes a feed off the record out socket from the amp and sends it to the speakers. They are good, but I would not use them for Cinema surround sound, I don't think you could do it properly. You would only get a reproduction of the front stereo sound.

Anyway, I thought you might like to know that there are some half decent cordless speakers about.

Good luck.