1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Infrared camcorders vs 'Night Vision'

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by David Fraser, Aug 6, 2005.

1. David Fraser

David Fraser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Can anyone recommend a decent quality camcorder with an infrared function? I've been told that I need infrared, as opposed to 'night vision' in order to see light anomalies and orbs when I'm doing my ghost-watch vigils, documenting supposedly haunted buildings at night.
    The problem is, I don't know anything about camcorders, and I'm SURE I'll get conned into buying something sub-standard and innapropriate if I ask the advice of a salesman in a high-street electrical goods shop.
    I'd really appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance, and thanks for reading this posting.
    Dave

2. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hi

I've used several Panasonic camcorders and the infra-red functionality has worked well, producing a good black and white picture with a reasonable amount of picture detail. The downside is range is quite limited to perhaps 5-10 metres.

Sony's range of handycams i.e. HC42E, HC39E have decent infra-red but you can also buy a large infra-red light which connects to the camcorder to give you a much larger range. If you are looking to record 20-30 metres away this maybe a better option.

As to whether infra-red is better than 'night vision' in order to see light anomalies and orbs, I have no idea.

Night vision tends to produce crap jerky colour picture whereas infra-red produces a smooth black and white picture with a fair amount of detail.

Check out this site for examples of infra-red and nightvision under the section low light for each of the reviews. It'll give you an idea of what the differences are in tems of PQ:

http://www.dvspot.com/reviews/sony/hc90-review/index.shtml

http://www.dvspot.com/reviews/panasonic/pv_gs150-review/index.shtml

3. David Fraser

David Fraser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the advice and links, Laser. I've opted for the Sony HC90E, as it's the only one of the current range that has plain old 'Night Shot', rather than 'Super Night Shot', or 'Night Shot Plus', which slow the shutter speed and create strobing and artefacts. I'll probably get an infrared light as well. Now all I need are some co-operative ghosts to turn up on cue when I hit record!
    Cheers,
    Dave

4. iq2lo

iq2lo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello Dave is this the sort of thing your looking for?YouTube - Audio edit edition
    there are a couple of good IR scenes in here see what you think

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    New forum member trawling for old threads then :hiya:

In case you haven't noticed this thread was last updated back in August 2005 :eek: so I doubt any help offered now will be too relevent :suicide:

Mark.