1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Infra red control

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by fatrich, Mar 18, 2002.

1. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hi
    at the moment i am using Genius radio controlled mouse and keyboard and it miffes me off when using it with the TT player or Win dvd, is it easier to use an infra red mouse and keyboard? i have been told that if i went infra red i could use a pronto which would be more convinient, how does this work and which keyboard and mouse setups do you use.

thanks in advance

richard

2. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I've just ordered an IRMan from here

This is a box that plugs into your serial interface, and then with software you can then program your Pronto to control things on your PC, I prefer this rather than have a keyboard on my lap, where's the popcorn gonna go :D

3. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Cheers Punch just being looking at their site!!!! might invest in one at under £30 it looks ok, would u use it with Girder? what exactly is girder and how does it work with Irman and Pronto had a look at the download software on girder and there is a lot of downloads which one do u us. many thanks
    richard

Punch did u order just the Irman or the £9 remote as well?

4. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I didn't order the remote, as I'll be using the Pronto.

I'll look into the software when I get it, I know it works from what I've read, and I'm sure I'll bang my head against the wall before I get it working perfectly. I'll let you know how I get on.

5. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, you need Girder software with the Irman.

I ordered my Irman about 3 weeks ago & it arrived a week later. Don't worry if your not home to accept delivery - it fits through your letterbox:D

No information/manual what so ever with it though, just a link to the web site so you can download Girder (free).

I find it tricky enough to set up, but it works perfectly;)

It will use commands from any remote control & is perfect for the Pronto(which I also bought recently).

Be prepared for many hours in front of the PC, as it takes time to get it perfect:eek: :eek: :eek:

For $40 you can't go wrong!

6. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Mine arrived yesterday in a box with an instruction manual and CD that included the IRMan server software and Girder, but I'm sure there's a more up to date version on their website.

It seems to be learning commands from my Pronto fine, I just need to get Girder working now, might not be until next Monday.

One question: How do you make up a code with the Pronto, would it be easier to download some codes for a device you don't own, and use them?

7. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Punce,

That's interesting. Mine, as I said arrived in a small padded envelope - no manual, no CD software.

Maybe I should e-mail them & complain. Mine came from Holland Yours?

Any chance of a pic of the manual/CD?

It's not important, but there shouldn't be a difference between what they send.

Thanks for the info;)

8. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I got mine from the UK at www.intolect.com, it's in a proper printed box (about A4 size) and it arrived in 2 days!

I won't have much time to take a pic until Monday, but if you still want me to I could do it then.

9. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Punce,

I got mine direct from Evation.com

That explains the difference. No need to bother with pictures etc..

Thanks for the reply;)

10. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I think that i will buy the IRman and their cheap remote control, the pronto although very good by all accounts i think is too much to part with since i intend to only use it with my Hcpc.Will this set up of the IRman and their £9.00 remote control be ok for my requirements? and how do u get it up and running and do i need Girder?
    I have been on the Girder web page and notice there is a lot of downloads, which one do i need to download and how do you make it so they are all talking the same language?

sorry for all the questions

regards

richard

11. GarryF

GarryF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    You should only need the main girder download to use an IRman, it has the plug in included.

Girder installation is pretty basic, you need to unzip it with creat sub directorys option on then drag a shortcut to the desktop from the executable.

If your using a pronto I just created a button and used a RC code, easy enough to do.

Then in girder you create a new command, after that tell the command what you want to do (start program, click button etc) then finally you hit the record button for the command and press the button on the pronto and it stores the IR code.

Once you've done a few it gets easier, hardest bit I find is trying to find the command you want to carry out in windows within girder.

12. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does it have to be a pronto? I have a sony Multi control, would it 'Learn' the commands from that? Or is there something special about Pronto Codes? (The Sony can do Macros if needs be).

Nick

13. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ordered one anyway!!!!

14. GarryF

GarryF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Girder will learn any IR code I think, it's just that the pronto can do lots.

I set the pronto up to play a couple hundred albums, 1 code for each so now I can play any music I want at the touch of a button without having the projector on, it's neat :)

15. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds pretty good. I'll see how I go with my existing remote, maybe invest in a pronto at some point!