1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Infra-Red activated Mains Plug

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by mjn, Jan 2, 2004.

1. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,525
    My external DAC has an old-fashioned "push to make" power button, meaning i have to move off my fat hairy arse if i want to turn it on.

I'm looking for a device that can sit between the plug from the DAc and the mains outlet, that can act like a switch, and that is operated via infra red.

Checked the usual websites, www.letsautomate.com and www.keene.co.uk , but couldn't see anything.

anybody point me in the right direction?

2. tonyb

tonyb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi mjn,

B&Q have a remote mains adaptor here for £30, complete with a remote control. This unit is RF based, not IR.

.Maplin electronics have a kit with two adaptors and remote for £30. Once again, these are RF controlled, not IR controlled. Go to the site and enter the code WJ00A in the search box to bring up the product info.

Hope this helps...
    Tony

3. JimmytheSaint

JimmytheSaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    I too went on a long hunt for an infra red mains switch, as the X-10 signals interfere with the component I'm trying to switch on!!:mad: However, I could not find a single company that do these (except one commercial company that would make one for around £500!!:eek: ).
    Problem is my Pronto Pro will not learn RF signals, so all of these RF mains switches are pointless for me, unless I use their specified remote.

4. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    What sort of interference were you getting and what was the component..? I haven't noticed any problems with mine yet, although I did have to disable the local control function on one...

5. JimmytheSaint

JimmytheSaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    The component was a video processor, a Turboscan. When you select an X-10 mains supply to turn on, you can hear a loud 'click'which is probably the switch allowing the current to pass through. However, this caused a surge of electricity to run to the component in question and, even with surge protectors, for some reason caused the unit to crash.

6. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    For what it's worth, have you tried an X10 lamp module instead, for use with your Turboscan?

The main switches are designed to switch heavy loads (around 2kw), which is why you hear the loud click. Some sort of relay inside?

The lamp modules don't have this as they are rated a lot lower (think it's between 300w-500w).

7. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,525
    thanks all, think i'll look into a X-10 mains switch

8. jsmurray

jsmurray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can use your IR Pronto to send IR signals to an IR2RF converter/repeater which will then send the correct RF signal to a cheap and cheerful RF power switch from B&Q.
    Dave Houston used to provide a kit to make your own IR2RF converter specifically for Pronto's for just a few quid. If you don't fancy making one, you may be able to find a supplier at remotecentral.

9. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,525
    Sounds good....thanks, will look into that as well.

10. BrianCurran

BrianCurran
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brian's link has a 12 relay IR board that I'm interested in for simular stuff, it's <£50 which is better then the only other solution I found which is a 6 relay box from Farnell for ~£300! ;)

12. neo101

neo101
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there. bringing this back up i have also been looking for the same for ages.

i currently use an rf switcher but really want it to work on my harmony remote.

Recently there has been a few energy saving products such as:

TV IntelliPlug Intelligent Plug for TV Standby Saver by OneClick available at MediaAtlantic UK

I am yet to try it but i thought that if you plug the required device into the slave socket and buy something cheap like a freeview box with a remote.u could then programme the harmony (or similar) to switch the master (freeveiw) off therefore the the salve device would also turn off.

As soon as i get hold of one and it works i will let you know.
    Or if anyone else has any other ideas?

cheers

13. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,244
    My guess is you wouldn't need anything other than the Harmony - it would "learn" from a spare Harmony command.
    And can anyone confirm, or otherwise, the amount of power devices use on standby, and the potential savings from powering them fully off?

14. tankstage

tankstage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Just google "Standby Saver".
    Also on Ebay.
    Less than 30UKP some quite a lot less.
    I use one controlled by a harmony remote. It learns the IR signals for on an off from the remote.
    It has 6 sockets of which two can be switched between pemanent powered and switched power.
    I have set up a "dummy" device on the harmony and then setup an activity with just the socket in it. This is needed as it is quite slow to react to the IR and if you use it in a normal activity, the devices plugged into it don't switch on or setup correctly.
    I use mine to power my TV, Sub and Xbox360 power brick.

Tank

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  15. neo101

neo101
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tank thanks for that. that was one of the things i had been looking at..strugling to get to time to pick one up though.

When you say it learns etc thats fine. but will it for example i have 3 devices with no means of on/off. How many devices would it work with? i want them to switch off seperately.

Would that mean buying 3 of these?

thanks

16. limegreenzx

limegreenzx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    If you use something like this Standby saver £17.99 Dragons Den Standby Saver - QVC, British Gas energy saving plug and power strip that saves electricity, eliminate standby power, As seen on Dragons Den. you will only need to buy 1 unit. I use mine to provide mains power to a TV, subwoofer, DVD player, soundbar, wii and SkyHD. I use it with a Harmony 555. The standbysaver has 2 sockets that you can choose to be switched or permanently on. 1 of these sockets I use to power the SkyHD box as I have the output also going to my bedroom. The only problem you may have using the standbysaver with a Harmony remote is that most electronic devices do not power on immediately and take few seconds to accept new IR commands. However, if you are careful with your timings when setting up the Harmony they work flawlessly together.

They quote that they consume less than 1 watt, which is less than a TV in standby.

17. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,525
    So i bought one of these, but the damn thing powers on/off with the same IR code. I've used different codes for on and off, but pressing the "off button" while powered off, actually turns it off :confused:

Can somebody post the descrete IR codes they use.

18. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,244
    Off topic - the Sky HD forum often has entries saying that repeatedly powering a SkyHD receiver completely off and on considerably shortens its life, so that the cost of a replacement outweighs the savings in power consumption.

19. tankstage

tankstage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Yes, 'fraid so. Each extension has 6 outlets, 4 controlled by the single IR command and 2 that can be either controlled or permanently live.

20. tankstage

tankstage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    They do not come with any code pre-programmed, you have to setup the codes with a remote. The unit learns the codes by pressing the mode button with a matchstick or similar, then wait for the LED to go red, press the remote button you want to switch off the extension until the LED goes out. Repeat this step, then when the LED shines green, press the button for on.
    The on code switches the unit on quite quickly, but the off code is delayed by about 5 seconds.

I setup a dummy device on my harmony (a motorised screen) and used two of the buttons that it had as my on/off codes.

HTH

Tank

21. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,244
    Yes, some people have used an old remote as an intermediary, but simply setting up any old device on the Harmony and using that IS the better way.

22. Dave964

Dave964

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    I got a couple of these today (B&Q sell them, which means no postage charge).

I was previously using some RF sockets, which was a bit of a pain since it meant using the dedicated RF remote. The standby saver is much better. I've configured the TSU9600 so that a single press of the power button puts stuff into standby as it did before without affecting the mains power. If I hold the button down, it switches everything into standby and then powers off the mains.

I prefer a delay from switching the mains back on to switching the individual items on - so the pronto keeps track of the mains status. If the mains is on, pressing the power button instantly turns everything on. If the mains is off, it powers it all on, waits for 10s then powers the individual devices on.

Works very well indeed!