1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Information on Toshiba 36ZP46

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by BrianPK, Sep 10, 2004.

1. BrianPK

BrianPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    After reading the What Video & Widescreen review of the Toshiba 36ZP48 I am thinking of purchasing the cheaper non-Dolby Digital model, i.e. Toshiba 36ZP46.

However, I need to know if this model is identical other than the lack of DD. In particular, does it have Active Vision and progressive scan?

2. builder

builder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BrianPK,

The cheaper P46 is actually only available as a more expensive Currys/Comet special ( Check website for prices ) I was told by Toshiba that it was an exclusive product not sold to any other suppliers.

So in actual fact it's cheaper to buy the 48 with speakers on the open market and keep them in the box for any future possible use.

I really do wonder if the Marketing boys and gals at Toshiba have the remotest idea of the the audio visual market and what a missed opportunity it is to restrict a product to a single supplier, in particular a very good product like these TVs.

Come to think of it I think under the "Block exemption" trading arrangement it is probally illegal for Toshiba to do this, I think if any bonafide retailer went to Toshiba and demanded the product Toshiba are obliged to supply providing the retailer meets a number of criteria as the likes of all the major web do already.

I'd be interested if any trade people see this and have some thoughts on the subject.

Oh yes, I think the rest of the spec is the same but as Toshiba don't list on their website you may have an interesting chat with a sales bod at Currys.

3. BrianPK

BrianPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    Builder, thanks for all the info.

Toshiba must operate differently in Ireland, where I live, as I had no difficulty in ordering this TV from my local store (not Curry's/Comet) other than initial confusion as to the specs of this model. But Toshiba got back to my store and confirmed the specs.

I have purchased the 36ZP46 and will take delivery on Wednesday.

I was very tempted to buy either the 36ZP46 or 48 online but after reading the threads on this forum for the past month and the various problems people had with tube faults etc., I decided to buy locally as these people know me from past AV purchases. My store gave me a reasonable price of €1800 (approx. £1180) and an assurance of 1) technical assistance to my home if I encounter problems over the guarantee period and 2) allow me to upgrade to another model if I am not satisfied with picture quality next week.

4. builder

builder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi BrianPK,

Thanks for the info, I assumethe Irish importer deals directly with Toshiba or is an independant market and not tied to Toshiba UK, ( I know sometimes supply chains are and sometimes not).

Looks like you've got an excellent price given the aftersales service you've got as well, please let me know how you get on with it.

To give me some idea of price differential, how much would they have asked forthe P48 with speakers?

Regards

builder

5. BrianPK

BrianPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    Hi Builder,

The 36ZP48 would have cost me another €400 (approx. £260) making a total of £1440. This is close to the recommended retail price.

In my experience, new AV equipment takes a long time to drop in price in Ireland, probably due to the lack of local competition.

As I already possess KEF2005 ("Eggs") speakers and a Sony amp DB1080 it would have been a waste of money to buy the DD Toshiba at that price.

If the 46 had not been available to me I would probably bite the bullet and buy the 48 online.

However, I am quite content with my present position and will let you know how I get on with the 46. Everything going well, I will use the price difference to upgrade to a new progressive scan DVD player.

Regards,

BrianPK

6. builder

builder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks BrianPK

Look forward to your comments on your new purchase, I'm doing a bit of digging to try and source a P46 from somewhere now.

Regards

builder

7. BrianPK

BrianPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    Hi to all and especially Builder,

I finally sorted out my 36ZP46. I have been up and running for the past couple of days and I can only say that if you have been considering buying the 46 or 48 go for it. I find it outstanding.

However, I had terrible problems initially because this is my second set. The first set which I received Wednesday week last was totally contaminated by a green blemish probably a severe degaussing problem. I agreed with my local store to let it settle in a couple of days but once the screen hadn't rectified itself they changed it on Monday last.

Let me make a couple of observations:

1) If you and a friend are lifting it onto its stand make sure that both of you lift with your good arms even though it is difficult for two right-handed people to simultaneously grasp opposite sides of the front of the television each using their right hand. I tried to take the weight with my left and very nearly dropped the television.
    2) Anybody worried about the size of the television need not as it fits very well back into a corner.
    3) The shelves of the stand are very narrow and my receiver would not fit in. However I overcame this by making an incision in the plastic leg-guards and adjusting the bottom glass shelf accordingly to fit.

Query: I noticed one unusual thing and I would appreciate comments from anybody who has already purchased a 46 or a 48. When I use component to view DVD, the tv does not automatically switch to widescreen for Region 1 discs. It does switch for Region 2 and, when using RGB, Region 1 and Region 2 switch automatically. Is this normal? Is it a fault? Does it really matter? That is, does manual switching affect picture quality?

Overall, I am absolutely delighted I bought this set.

Regards,

BrianPK

8. builder

builder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi BrianPK,

Thanks for the feedback. You're right, it's a heavy TV!! I'm just waiting for a price from a supplier then I'll take the plunge, the switching thing is odd but I can't imagine it will effect PQ. Good tip on the shelves, why they don't make them with a bit more flexibility is beyond me.

Remind me again, what was your previous TV ? and how much better is it. Does the 36 look huge or soon look small ??

cheers

builder

9. BrianPK

BrianPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    Hi builder!

My old set is a Philips 32PW6322 50 Hz widescreen which received a very good review about 5 years ago. My new Tosh. is exactly the same width but a few inches higher and about 2" deeper. Critically it also sits a few inches further back in the corner due to the slimmer back to the stand.

It does of course look bigger than before but you get used to it surprisingly quickly. My room is only 12'x12' plus 6'x3' bay window and I was slightly anxious about the size but it passed the acid test when my wife declared it to look magnificent.

I was also a little anxious about viewing distance but the P.Q. is so flicker free with Sky and DVD that 9' to 10' (or even closer if you are pushed) is perfect.

Another observation is that the P.Q. seems to improve over a few days. I noticed this also with the 1st set.

I find also that the -sharpness control (despite what the purists say) gives a very smooth picture and does more good than bad.

I am going through a wonderful few days looking through my DVD collection -checkout the journey through the Forbidden Zone in Planet of the Apes (original version of course) or as Lawrence extinguishes the match and cut to dawn in the desert - Lawrence of Arabia - absolutely brilliant and cinematic on the large 36" screen and so much more of it. The move from 32" to 36" has been a revelation to my eyes. I am delighted.

Regards,

BrianPK

10. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any comments on the 36ZP38 ? i assume thats the model before the 48 came out ?

11. BrianPK

BrianPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    Hi FoxyMulder,

The 36ZP38 is the model before the 48. I believe the only difference between both models is the black frame on the 38. The 48 also has two RGB connections as against one on the 38. As a rule of thumb, I would tend to buy the newer model but if you get a good price on the 38 go for that.

As far as I can see from reading various threads over the past number of months people who bought the 38 have been well pleased with it and most people seem to love the black frame.

Regards,

BrianPK