Information on in wall speakers

N1ck

Established Member
Reaction score
I’ve decided to dip my toe into the world of in wall speakers. I am pretty confident I know enough about traditional speakers but have no idea about in wall versions. This will be a steep learning curve but I’m struggling to find information about installation, eg. Do they need insulation? Back boxes? Space behind/around to breath, what about toe in etc.

Is there a guide anywhere that I’ve missed that explains the basics?

Most can’t toe in, there are a few with aimable tweeter but not many.

Some are open back but the higher end models are all sealed to give better bass response and consistency from one speaker to the next, regardless of what size cavity you put it in. Some provide guidance on the volume needed around the speaker, if it’s an open back design.

Although as @Harkon321 says, you can't toe in inwall speakers, some of the higher end models do have directional tweeters. An example being Monitor Audio inwall LCR's.

Other models, such as the MKs I run, have a wide horizontal dispersion, so good off axis response.

I’m guessing that would be the same for the Kefs with their uniQ designs providing a good wide dispersion?

I'm about to do an in wall speakers also and wanted to just start with a center, left and right channel. Every company I talk to has recommneded polk 255C-RT for cetner and Polk 265 RT for left and right. Is that what you are leaning towards by chance. For some reason I can't get my head around polk being that good. What is everyone elses opinion.

I hadn’t considered them. I am new to the idea of in wall speakers though so I feel like a complete noob.
Simple things like why some B&W in walls have back boxes and some don’t. It’s not even consistent with the pricing either where you would expect more expensive ones to have them and cheaper ones to go with out. 🤷‍♂️

Nick

Why don't you pop on in and see us? We can show you a number of in-wall speakers in situ and talk you through DIY installation options, the pit falls, what to look out for etc.

We're North Yorkshire based too :)

If you want excellent dispersion - take a look at the DALI M series or S series.
Like all things DALI, they don't need toeing in unless you're at the absolute extremities of a room from a positioning point of view.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom