Information on DLP RP TV's

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by David Bunker, May 9, 2002.

1. David Bunker

David Bunker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had almost made my mind up to purchase the Sony 41" RP TV after seeing how good the picture could be.

I am know wondering if it would be more sensible to wait for the new DLP RP TV's to become available as the limited amount of information that I can find on these points to them being superior quality.

But are they likely to be similarly priced to current CRT models? and when are they going to be available?

Does anyone have any information?

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Originally posted by David Bunker

wondering if it would be more sensible to wait for the new DLP RP TV's to become available as the limited amount of information that I can find on these points to them being superior quality.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    have you any Links or info, as I have never heard about these sets?????

3. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +518
    was in HCC January 24th news,

LG announces intention to deliver DLP TVs
    In a surprise move LG Electronics has announced that it intends to launch the UK's first rear projection TV to use DLP technology later this year. The set is likely to be a 43in widescreen set with progressive scan and Pro-Logic sound, and is expected to hit the street around the third quarter. Going into 2003, it's also expected that there will be an XGA-grade integrated digital version, available in 43in and 55in flavours.

DLP (digital light processing) technology is a comparatively new projection technology that consistently betters LCD rivals and is rapidly approaching the standards that CRT systems can deliver, with increased sharpness. Indeed, the Panasonic DLP rear projection TV we saw at the CES in Las Vegas was clearly better than the CRT sets it was sat besides, making the LG development very exciting indeed. Especially if, as they hope, LG manages to release the new sets at somewhere in the same price range as current CRT rear projection TVs

I searched ages ago and found LG are dealing with Texas Instruments for their chips and do suggest that the technology affords oppurtunity for low pricing to plasma and more in line with CRTs. Also as with other RPTVs the foot print will also be small compared again to CRT. How good these will actually be is another question. What seems typically annoying for a manufacturer though, is the possibility that the second gen' set could be better equipped in picture resolution by merely the inclusion of a software package that could of been used in the first set as the chip driving will be the the same - can't remember where I read this but it's the sort of thing you tend to remember! So yet another software screw over - wonder if MS were involved...