1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Information needed on TAG products

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by davee, Apr 25, 2005.

1. davee

davee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I have recently purchased an avr 32R 192bp s processor and 100x5 power amp. I hadn’t intended to but the recent reduction in price due to TMA’s demise meant that I just couldn’t keep my wallet in my pocket. Usually when something like that happens I regret it bitterly after but not this time. I’m stunned by the quality of the sound, It looks the business and is very tactile, (the only downside are the instruction booklets which leave a lot to be desired. ) So much so that I am foolishly thinking about adding a dvd player to the front end. However apart from this forum it is quite difficult getting information from other sources because the mags have obviously stopped reviewing TAG stuff and the shops have got other things to sell. I can’t even find any manufacturers original literature.

Also this forum tends to assume you know what a bpsp over a bpdp or that sort of thing and can be quite off-puttingly negative when forum posters use it to air their gripes. I have no idea which products were the latest available which is important when considering 2nd hand prices. Would the dvd32FLR for example be worth buying to replace an arcam 79 which is a great player. What are the downsides? I read somewhere that the Dvd32r can’t output analogue. What would that mean to me? The Caliope speakers look terrifc, and could make up the rest of the system, but how good are they? What would be their competitors.

Sorry, lots of questions but as a TAG virgin I’m seeking information which hopefully some of you experienced correspondents can help out with

2. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At the time of its inception, the DVD32R was top of the pile for both analog and digital audio/ video performance. There was very little that could touch it and it easily outperformed stuff at much higher prices. That was back in 2000.

Nowadays, you would be hard pressed to find something as good as the the DVD32R that covers quality CD and DVD playback, let alone build. You'd have to spend a lot or go for a two box option for DVD and CD.

The DVD32R had a lot of money spent on it and it is just about unique in design and performance.

However, there are some downsides - the door can be a git but easily repared at a cost.

The mechanism can also be a git if not correctly transported from place to place - costly to fix.

The cheaper alternative is the conventional loading DVD32FLR which is just about identicle in finish and performance.

As in an average household the top loading mech of the DVD32R can be impractical, the FLR is perfect and it comes in at a good price. Plus you will have the TAGtronic BUS integration with all of your TMA products.

Although the DVD32R/FLR is a transport only, this simply isnt a problem.

My personal favourite is the DVD32R simply becuase it cost so much in blood swaet & tears to develop.

And as DVD hasnt really come that far (as there are brand new formats waiting in the wings) if you buy second hand, you wont lose too much as they will also become a bit of a collectors item, gven time.

Although not to everyones tste, the Calliope ar a cracking set of speakers if you can get the Bass Modules as well.

Not everyone will agree with me as they all have their own ideas, but as a former TMA employee, I think I can get away with it...

3. liam_b

liam_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Davee, the DVD32R and DVD32FLR have analog video outputs (composite, Svideo and component) and digital audio outputs (2 RCA SPDIF), there is no analog audio output. As you already have the AV32R you don't need analog audio outputs from the DVD32, just hook up the SPDIF and the T2L sync link, you will get excellent sound from CDs and DVD-Video discs.

The only possible downside in using the DVD32 is that it doesn't do DVD-Audio, VideoCD or SACD.

4. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same with most of the owners :devil: . So davee, front loader proved to be the much safer version to go for.

I must admit (even though mine worked fine since the day of delivery), every time I switch it on (every second day in average) I am sh** scared it won't come back from standby!

5. lenny

lenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Looking at your set a DVD32FLR brand new will fit perfectly. With the Tag synch link you will get a top notch configuration.

I can not provide you with any on-the-field opinion on the Calliope speakers: just missed the opportunity to get a full set with bass modules not long ago... it was a blind purchase based upon the fact that the Tag Hw (and SW) is really top.

6. davee

davee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Is that because TMA didnt think it worthwhile to include the formats or was it planned to provide them as an expensive add on extra, like DTS on the avr!
    How come everybody else seems to include the formats on machines costing a fraction of the price/
    Is the progressive scan module a worthwhile addition or will the other hardware deal with it, PJ etc?
    Oh, and how do you make the avr autodetect? It comes on again in the setting it was turned off .

roversd1 [QUOTE}Although not to everyones tste, the Calliope ar a cracking set of speakers if you can get the Bass Modules as well. [QUOTE}

Can you expand on this? I havent heard them at all. I'm not the sort of person who could live with a dustbin in their living room just because it sounded sublime, it has to be visually seductive as well, and the calliopes do it for me on that score.
    Any ideas on what I should pay for a pair with bass modules in the current climate?
    Thanks

7. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    When the DVD32R/FLR came out DVDA was still a very unusual feature :) . It was planned to eventually be an upgrade in the guise of the DVD192R, but this never came to be as TMA died before its conception. Have you got a lot of DVD audio discs? SACD was an engineering impossibility as Tag would have to have built a brand new design from the ground up and thats if they could even get access to the transports and chipsets required to implement it. Have you got lots of SACD discs you would like to be able to play? DTS wasn't an expensive additon to the AV32R, it came as standard. The decoding formats that were offered as upgrades were only offered as upgrades due to the fact that the new formats came out after the AV32R was initially released :smashin: All the software additions were offered at a relatively reasonable price taking into account the license fees that needed to be paid :) The best thing to do with regards to set up of your kit is ignore the paper manuals and just follow the set up wizard as it gives good explanations as you work through the process :thumbsup:

8. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Hi davee....I hope we can all be of help to you(and can see that some already have).

The last of the products were the AV192 and the dual processor version of the AV32R.....yours essentially has much of the sound quality of the dual processor version,but without the ability to correct for room/speaker interactions.

You may be able to find some reviews and other literature here on the old TMA website,which is now on IAG's site.

http://www.iaguk.com/tma/tmaindex.htm

Like you,when the company met it's end,I was unable to keep my wallet out of the way,and replaced a single processor AV32R(the predecessor to yours,without the analogue bypass)with a dual processor version,and even several yrs after it's introduction,the AV32R in it's various forms is still as good as.or better than most of the competition.

9. liam_b

liam_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Davee,

I've no idea what you mean by DTS being an expensive extra on the AV32R, DTS was always included in the price, DTS-ES was available upgrade from early models that didn't include it as it wasn't available when they shipped.

I think the reason that a lot of cheap and nasty DVD players include VideoCD, DiVx & DVD-Audio etc is because they think they have to just to achieve sales. SACD costs a lot more to add, hence prices jump up to the Pioneers for example.

The fact is that TAG DVD32 (both flavours) still has the best picture from composite, Svideo and interlaced component video outputs, regardless of cost, the DVD32R is still 5 years after launch one of the best DVD players to play CD audio on, the DVD32FLR is very close behind it. The DVD32R was designed at time when SACDs were only just beginning to come to market (and now they're disappearing again) so their was no real need to include SACD.

The AV32R autodetects any change in format for datastreams that include flagging or can recognised, so DD and DTS mainly, for anything it either follows the initial settings you specify in the SETUP (read the manual) or reverts to the last setting for that mode, ie multichannel+THX gives DD+THX for 5.1DD but PL2+THX for 2.0DD.

As for the Calliopes, I heard several sets and thought them all similarly not to my taste, so I never bought any.

10. davee

davee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    :thumbsup: Thanks for all your helpful replies guys, Its all a bit new to me, I havent made such a serious investment in this sort of kit for about 15 years and suddenly I’m a bit like a kid in a sweetshop again, but with a credit card rather than pocket money… :rotfl:

Liam b, the dts part I was told by the dealer that it was an over the phone code release to the software for a couple of hundred pounds, and that it was better to stick to dolby pl2. ?

Thunder, now you mention it I think I have one SACD and a couple of dvd audio discs, so I guess nothing to worry about there and given whats coming out of the speakers at present I don’t know what sacd would offer extra. :D

So the big question is whether the £1200-£1400 or so that the FLRs are currently going for (although seemingly only in black darn it) is an investment worth making, uniformity yes, looks yes, Taglink yes, Emerging formats, who knows, and I’ve still got to get the pj yet ! Looks like plastic meltdown time.
    Thanks again for the time spent in replying

11. liam_b

liam_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    If you bought new equipment then it should be up to date in terms of what is included, (from memory) DTS-ES is only available on (or for) units having 7.1 channels, so if you AV32R has 'back' channels then is should have DTS-ES unless its an older secondhand or old stock unit.

The PL2 comment I think refers to the PL2-alike DTS:Neo6 which I though was standard on all late model, 7.1 only, AV32R (from memory!) so I'm wondering what the 'dealer' is talking about?

EDIT- I checked the PDF of the AV32R SP user manual, DTS:Neo6 was/is an option on the 7.1 versions, so your unit may not have had from the factory.

12. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    As I understood it DTS ES came as standard on the 7.1 model but DTS ES discrete/Neo 6 was available as a software upgrade :thumbsup:

13. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Ah the difference between "matrix" and "discrete".......... I think the majority of the software upgrades allowing new surround formats on any AV unit would be based on when it was made (i.e. if it was made before the format came out it, by definition must be an upgradable item). I know the later units (192R and the AV32R/DP) had a lot of the surround formats as standard.... If the chap scrolls through all the formats he has and lists them maybe we can suggest any that are worthwhile additions? Oh and naturally tell us if it is a 5.1 or 7.1 unit???