Information and pointers wanted regards to SACD format

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by 53Robbo, Jan 16, 2008.

1. 53Robbo

53Robbo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a DV600-AV (which can play SACDs) connected by HDMI to a VSX-1017 receiver.

I only have one SACD at the moment and can't really notice too much surround sound about it.

Anybody give me a pointer ?

2. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +937
    What's the SACD - Try Pink Floyds "Dark Side of the Moon". It gives your system a good workout.

KH

3. Theo Maxtible

Theo Maxtible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Sorry if I'm intruding on this forum, as I normally use the Arcam owners site. I couldn't help but see the word "SACD", and thought I'd see what's going on.

It pleases me so much to see others entering the hi-res music arena, and I just couldn't agree more with your comments about the "Dark Side of the Moon" SACD. It certainly does give a sytem a workout. For the past (nearly) 3 years I've bought (apart from 1 CD) only SACDs or DVD-As, and my collection is growing strongly. Another SACD album that is overtly MCH is Kraftwerk's Minimum:Maximum Live album. Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" SACD is really quite good also. I notice that the DV600-AV also plays DVD-As. If possible, try Tomita's The Planets 2003 DVD-A album.

I'm probably not saying things that some people don't already know, but some albums are more noticeably MCH than others, although I generally find it suits the album type. The Dave Brubeck "Take Five" SACD is absolutely superb, but very "slightly" surround.

:)

4. 53Robbo

53Robbo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, that's the one SACD I have.

If I have the receiver on 'auto' it plays it in stereo. What setting should I use to get the full benefit ?

Should it work properly through the HDMI connection ?

5. stasis

stasis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Hi, I have an vsx-ax3 and listen through 6 phono cables (no hdmi) with the multi channel input on the amp. I think you are only getting the stereo track from the disc. Are you sure that the version of hdmi cable has the band width for multichannel.
    regards stasis.

6. Pioneer Man

Pioneer Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

The DV-600 can output SACD audio via HDMI but the amp can not reproduce audio via that route.

If you want to get it working correctly then you need to use 6 RCA connections from DVD player to the multi-channel inputs on the amp.

You should also make sure that the speaker setup menu of the DV-600 shows that all the speakers are set to large.

7. 53Robbo

53Robbo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks,

Wow, it's great. Had to change the DVD - initial settings - SACD playback -from CD area to Multi-ch area.

Will this change any other current settings I have for DVD and CD playback or is the DVD player really clever and detects SACDs and applies this setting to SACDs only ?

Quite new to this.

8. Pioneer Man

Pioneer Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SACDs are a really odd type of disk, they are basically a normal audio CD with a layer of data in the middle of the disk that is kind of similar to the way DVDs are made but it only contains audio information.

You can set the player up so that when it detects that the disk is an SACD it will focus the laser through the SACD information and read the CD part of the disk, this wont affect the setup of anything else.

SACD information its self can be 2-channel stereo or multi channel or even both, depending on how the SACD information was mastered.

9. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    I have the Pink Floyd DVD-A and its bass is far superior to the SACD offering. (DSOTM).