Inform Me

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by drdaredevil, Jul 9, 2004.

1. drdaredevil

drdaredevil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am a little confused why anybody in their right mind would buy a dvd recorder compared to a dvd burner for your computer. I do not know much about recorders but i thought that they can't copy copywritten material? There are loads of programs on the computer that decode dvd's making copywritten dvd's able to be copied. Please, I am a noobie to this forum, but let me know why soo many people like recorders compared to dvd burners.

2. muzza1uk

muzza1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I guess Dr. because most people are using them to record from TV or Satellite and they don't have/want a PC in the living room. Sure PC burners are more flexible in their uses and allow all sorts of hi-jinxs but DVV-Recorders really are a sensible step forward from VHS now that the media and equipment is cheaper.

Muzza1

3. drdaredevil

drdaredevil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm.... Why don't they just get TiVo or something like that then?

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,675
    Because a DVD recorder allows you to play DVDs...

5. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I have both, the recorder under the tv is ideal for archiving films and other items I wish to keep, whilst its hard drive is equivalent to owning a tivo, except the picture quality is better. This is easy and quick to use.

I also have a dvd recorder in the computer, which is ideal for data storage, creation of edited camcorder dvd's, slide shows, and for "backup" of commercial dvd's. This would be a nightmare to use for recording tv and anyway my tv card only has poor mono sound, and no access to the sattelite in stereo anyway.

As I purchased a pc dvd recorder that can also play and record to ram discs they are compatible with each other should I need the facility.

Personally I think that both are essential now.

6. jesmat2003

jesmat2003
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    They did get "something like that" - it's called a DVD Recorder.

I bought a DVD Recorder for ease of use at recording television programmes. It's easier to set-up a DVD Recorder next to my telly than move my PC around the house every time I want to record something. My PC is also a few years old and with an 18GB hard drive and Pentium III 550 couldn't cope with a DVD Burner anyway. As for the "back-up" up commercial DVDs:

1. A [removed-lynx] hooked up to another player would work.
    2. With dual-layered blank discs fairly new and untried, backing-up a commercial dual-layered disc on to a blank single-layered disc has its own problems.
    3. If I want a DVD, I am perfectly happy to shop at Play.com or other online retailer and pay £10 - £15 for an original disc.

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,675
    I couldn't agree more!