1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Infocus

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Dr Pumpstain, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Dr Pumpstain

Dr Pumpstain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having never owned a projector before would I be wise to buy the Infocus 4800 over the 4805 and save a few hundred? Given that I don't know what to expect from a projected image is the 4805 really so much better that I couldn't live with the picture from the 4800? there are probably older threads regarding this but if anyone can give me some sound advice as they both score well in reviews and I'd rather spend less on a projector freeing up more cash for a top spec screen.

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,099
    I think the main difference is that the 4805 is 848 x 480 so is widescreen. The 4800 is 800 x 600 so is 4:3, but you can use it as a 16:9 projector - I believe it was built with that in mind. You will get a slight amount of light 'spill' in the remaining 4:3 area when projecting a 16:9 image (800 x 450, slightly less than the 4805s 848 x 480), but you probably won't notice it unless you're projecting onto a white wall or 4:3 white screen. It tends to show up more in dark scenes, as the eyes iris opens up so you're more likely to see it.

I can't think of any other differences, and if that's the case, then the 4800 is probably a good deal - projectors lose a lot of value generaly as the market is young and new projectors are coming along all the time. For the money, you can afford to buy it, keep it for a year and then sell it on for not a great loss, and get something newer, better and not as expensive as it would have been today. You may even pick up a second hand bargain such as a used NEC HT1000! :)

You can buy a pj for £3500 now, and next year it will be worth £2000 if you're lucky. :)

Gary.

3. Dr Pumpstain

Dr Pumpstain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gary, my local electronics shop told me that the 4800 was a load of rubbish but I don't see that in the reviews I read.

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,099
    I demoed an X1 (similar to 4800) alongside a few other projectors of various makes, models and prices, and I wouldn't say it was a load of rubbish by any means.

The Infocus H30 is a similar spec pj and people here are raving about it (not seen it myself).

Some pjs don't look their best straight out of the box, and you may have to select the correct gamma for the input - something like 'movie' for DVDs, otherwise the colours may look awefull. Setting the contrast and brightness correctly is also quite important - having the brightness too high will mean greyer blacks and visible mpg artefacts in dark areas. You can lose a lot of cloud and bright detail if the contrats is too high.

Not essential, but using something like Avia (calibration disk) to set the black and white levels can make all the difference if the pj isn't set correctly - it needs to be done for all sources though (very tricky for tv without a test card!). Even changing to a different DVD player will mean the contrast and brightness levels will need to be changed.

You will often find that many high street shops have no idea how to set up a projector, so don't be surprised when they say something is rubbish. It may not be in the hands of someone who has a clue. :)

Where abouts are you?

Gary.

5. Dr Pumpstain

Dr Pumpstain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the North East. When I set the projector up I will be able to run it with almost no light in the room so that should help shouldn't it?

6. monopole

monopole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 4805 (and optoma h30) is head and shoulders above the X1. You have richer colours, greater contrast, greater brightness, lower fan noise, faster colour wheel (to reduce the rainbow effect) and greater input flexibility (DVI, VGA, Component, S-Video, Composite). Unless money is an issue, then the 4805 is well worth the extra investment over the lifetime of the projector.

7. Dr Pumpstain

Dr Pumpstain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmm...it's just that the 4805 would seriously eat into my screen budget (I would like a fixed screen), I could ditch the DLP idea altogether and look at the Z2, which would allow me to get a decent(ish) screen, but isn't LCD a bit old hat these days?

8. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Both LCD & DLP have there following - as the 4800 is now considered to be old spec it would have to be at a considerable discount to be viable (less than half the value of the 4805). The 4800/X1 is by no means a poor machine, but, it all depends on the deal and how much you are willing to invest in each component. I would rather get a better projector (and the X1 was the best when I purchased at its price point from my perspective) and a poorer screen or even do without the sceen if I had a suitable wall. Depends on your long term strategy, upgrade path and so on.

Paul

9. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,099
    Paul:

The contrast figures look the same: 2000:1, but I assume the 4805 is using RGBRGB colour wheel so doesn't drop the contrast in video mode? The X1 drops to 1400:1 in video mode (disables the white segment in the colour wheel).

The 4805 actialy has less brightness than the X1, but that is a good thing IMHO if you have a darkened room - this gives better black level and reduces the chance of seeing mpg artefacts in dark areas.

The only way to know if the 4805 is better than the X1 and worth the extra, is to try and view them both.

If you're into DIY, you can make your own fixed screen for under £30 - make a wooden frame and stretch curtain 'blackout cloth' over it - I used a staple gun to fix it to the back of the frame. Get the white cloth from any good curtain shop or haberdashers. It's about as good as a normal matt white screen, and will do a good job. :) I have some pics of mine on my home page if you're interested.

LCDs aren't as bad as you would think, though I personaly prefer DLP. Again, a demo is the only way to know for sure - if you're going to suffer from rainbows, LCD is your only alternative at your price point.

Gary.

10. Dr Pumpstain

Dr Pumpstain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am I into DIY??? Well given that on my last two attempts I whacked a sledge hammer through a live electricity cable on the side of a building, cutting off five street in my town (whilst messing around); then threw a screwdriver through my girlfriend's foot (again whilst messing around) I think it's safe to say that I need to budget for a screen!!! Looks like I'm going to have to get a demo of the projectors too because I just read a review for the TX100 and it looks like a good deal to me...actually I might just stick some photos of different models to a dart board...that would work too...wouldn't it?

11. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,099
    Not with your current record of throwing things, no. :D

Demoing is the only way to know for sure, so see what you can get to see. I asked where you were because there's a good place near me that does great demos, and the guy there knows what he is doing. Pity you're not local.

Gary.

12. Dr Pumpstain

Dr Pumpstain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the only local store is a Sevenoaks in Hull but they seem to only have a 4805 and a H30 available for demo...actually, the H30 is kind of within my budget...oh no...here we go again!!!

13. BigGEORDIE

BigGEORDIE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The x1 for 600 pounds from pc world is just to good a deal to miss, then go to B&Q and buy some mdf board ,paint it with non reflective matt white paint. and then paint big black borders around the outside. you have now got a great platform to enjoy your movies, tv, games. you will be amazed at the quality. :thumbsup: you can then upgrade your system at your own pace ,but in my opinion take advantage of the deals now. the 4805 is better but not 700 pounds better.

14. Dr Pumpstain

Dr Pumpstain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I take it the X1 is the 4800 for business users but still with widescreen capabilities???

15. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,099
    The X1 is a modified data pj, with home cinema in mind. It has Faroudja DCDi built in, and will crop NTSC widescreen movies rather than scale them to 800 x 450. In effect you're losing a little info, but it's no more than the overscan on your tv (in fact it's less), It will scale PAL to fit.

Like many DLP data projectors, the X1 has a white segment. For video, it will switch this off, which in turn produces better saturated colours, but less light, and less contrast - the CR comes down from a quoted 2000:1 to 1400:1. Still not shabby, especialy for the price.

The other thing is that this pj only has a single speed wheel as far as I can remember, so if you are going to see rainbows at all this machine is more likely to show them. I didn't see any myself, but then I don't see rainbows at all. I had a Davis DLS8 for 3 years, and that was similar in many ways, but I had to use a PC to drive it. The X1 is better in most respects and at a fraction of the pce (DLS8 was £2500, plus the cost of the HTPC).

If you can't demo the X1 directly, but find the 4800 or H30 acceptable, you could always take a chance on the X1. I'm sure you could sell it on soon after if you don't like it, and only lose a little money in the process:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=45168

Gary

16. BigGEORDIE

BigGEORDIE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The way i see it is . Buy the x1 for 600 pounds now (they are not making them anymore) so HURRY. And when the 4805 drops in price to about 700 pounds upgrade to that then, you will have 2 great projectors for 1300 pounds. Getting the ball rolling is the main thing ,and then when you learn more upgrade, hands on experience is the best way to learn, and the helpfull people of this forum. I took the advice from people off this forum & they didn't let me down. A BIG THANK YOU TO THIS FORUM from BigGeordie .

17. Dr Pumpstain

Dr Pumpstain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that...the X1 is £400-£500 below what I can afford to pay for the projector so it might be worth a look...if I can find anywhere local that can demo it or the 4800...

18. Dr Pumpstain

Dr Pumpstain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...and when do anticipate the 4805 to be dropped to £700????

19. BigGEORDIE

BigGEORDIE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    you are talking about 18 months for a price drop like that, but the time will fly bye if you are enjoying the great pics on the x1. and like Gary said if there was a problem with the x1 sell it, people will snap your hands of for say 500 pounds in 6 to 12 months time, in other words you have nothing to lose, only experience to gain.

20. Dr Pumpstain

Dr Pumpstain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It does make sense I suppose, but I was hoping to keep the unit longer than a year or so.

21. BigGEORDIE

BigGEORDIE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    why sell if your happy, its only if your not. and only if you want to keep up, or as i like to do ,stay about a year or so behind, you have heard the saying all good things come to those who wait.

22. Dr Pumpstain

Dr Pumpstain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HA!!! You should be my life guru...

23. BigGEORDIE

BigGEORDIE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If i was the first bit of advice would be. break wind slowly. ;)

24. BigGEORDIE

BigGEORDIE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    good look on your purchase . let me know how you get on :thumbsup:

25. SurferDude

SurferDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    X1 = Screenplay 4800...

The following article from ProjectorCentral outlines the differences between the two units. Basically a bit of packaging and channel strategy is all that separates the two. If you can get the X1 for a better price than the 4800 then do so and buy the RCA to VGA cable adaptor separately.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/screenplay_4800.htm

Cheers,

26. Dr Pumpstain

Dr Pumpstain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for this guys...at the moment I am seriously leaning towards the TX100, the builders start work on the room in a week and a half so in around five weeks I will be sorting the projector out...can't wait!!!