1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Infocus X1

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by renardi, Jul 27, 2003.

1. renardi

renardi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm considering buying an X1, but before I do the obligatory "rainbow test" I had the following question.
    Since the X1 is a native 4:3 PJ, when it's switched to 16:9 will
    black bars be on top and bottom of the picture? Or are they not projected.

Thanks very much,

Christophe.
    Belgium.

2. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Christophe,

Not so much black as grey, so yes. This is only really a problem if you are projecting onto a 4:3 screen or there is not enough black/dark/non-refective background to the top and bottom of the screen. I am considering getting some black cloth to attach to the bottom of my pull down screen - haven't done it yet after 5 weeks of use, its not that annoying.

Paul

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    If you watch mostly 16:9 stuff, you could consider getting a 16:9 screen, so you won't have to worry about the dark grey bars unless you watch a scope movie (2.35:1).

what size screen will you be using?

Gary.

4. renardi

renardi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking of building my own 16:9 screen. I saw a post somewhere on this forum where they used blackout cloth.
    The results seemed to be very good, and the cost of building the screen is really only a fraction of the "real" thing.

What do you mean Gary by not having to worry about the bars if projecting onto a 19:6 screen? Will one not notice the bars when projected on a wall (when the screen size is filled with the projected image) or does the screen has to have black bars on top and bottom?

Thanks for the post guys.

Christophe.

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    It can depend on the wall colour behind the screen - I used black carpet on mine, and that helps absorb what little light spill I get from my NEC. A white screen is the best medium for showing up light spill as it's purpose is to reflect light. Anything else should be less able. :)

If the overspill is going to be an issue, then something like the Sanyo Z1 wil be better, as it's 16:9 native.

I also made a DIY screen using blackout cloth, and for an 84" wide 16:9 screen it cost me just £28 for everything - including screws and staples.

Gary.

6. renardi

renardi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gary,

Are you happy with your blackout cloth screen?

Isn't there any other way, like a software solution, to prevent overspill on the X1?

Christophe.

7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    Hi Christophe.

I was very happy with my blackout cloth screen for almost 3 years with a Davis 800lumen pj.

I upgraded to an NEC HT1000 in February, and found that in eco mode and with the iris shut, the image was a little dull compared to what I was used to. I then bought some proper 1.2 gain screen material to bring the ft lamberts back up to (almost) what I had before.

Other than being a little whiter, and obviously brighter, there is nothing else different between them. Had the NEC been brighter, I'd still be using my blackout cloth screen today.

The overspill is light being reflected back out through the lens, even when 'projecting' pure black. There's nothing that can be done other than to have something that is light absorbant behind the screen, or reduce the lumen output. Using a lens filter will do that, but if you overdo it, you can end up with a dull picture. Replace the screen with a higher gain one will reflect more light back though.

A little experimentation may be needed to find out what kind of issues bother you, but you'll probably need to get the projector home first to find out.

Gary.

8. renardi

renardi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gary.