1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Infocus X1

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Sorcery, May 30, 2003.

1. Sorcery

Sorcery
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone here demoed the InFocus X1?

On paper it looks like it should be pretty good but I haven't had chance to see one in action. Are there any other projectors in the same sort of price range [£1000-1500] that I should be looking at instead?

:confused:

Cheers,
    Nick

2. jimaro

jimaro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the infocus X1 is a huge best seller in Greece and the favourite in its price range.If you dont get any answers here,post your question in the english section of the greek forum, avforum.gr

3. Jazzartist

Jazzartist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hallo there,

Sorcery and Jimaro . I am planing to buy the X1 as well . It seems to have lot of good features but i think it dosent have component video connnection . The contrast ratio of 2000:1 is excellent . But what about the 1100 lumen . Are you guys satisfied with this lumen . I am also curious to know if this kind of lumen is sufficient for medium size room say 19 * 15 feet . What is the ideal lumen required to have good clear picture like 50 Hz projection Tv. I will much appreiciate a suggestion . Thanks.

Jazzartist

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,115
    I've seen the X1 alongside the Sharp Z90, NEC HT1000 and Sim2 HT200DMF.

Of course it wasn't as good as the Sim or HT1000, but I thought it compared well against the Sharp, and with built in processing, reminded me of my old Davis DLS8 with HTPC - it produced a very good image, and at around £1200, you can't go wrong.

I believe it does have some kind of component connection, but not by normal means. I think it uses some kind of s-video adaptor or something.

Definately go and see one, especialy if you aren't sure whether or not you're prone to the rainbow effect.

The contrast ratio falls to 1400:1 when in video mode - it shuts of the white section of the colour wheel, so the brightness drops, along with contrast.

1100 lumens is more than enough for a 7ft wide screen (maybe a little wider). That will drop when in video mode, but should still be fine. You only need around 16ft lambeerts of reflected light so you should be OK.

I was using a blackout cloth screen (approx unity gain) with my 800 lumen Davis (approx 600 when only projecting 16:9), but with the NEC HT1000 found that having the iris shut (reducing lumens to less than 600) the image was noticably dimmer. By using a 1.2 gain screen material from www.ellie.co.uk brought the ft lamberts back up to almost the original levels, and image brightness was restored.

HTH

Gary.

5. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I don't know about Greece or Bangladesh, but here in the UK you're MUCH better off importing an X1 from the States (or Japan?) UK price - maybe £1200? US price - $900, which is equivalent ot about £550!!! Even with VAT & customs & delivery it won't be much more than £700!! That's a hell of a deal...

Cheers,

Dunc

6. Sorcery

Sorcery
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know where it is possible to import one from [USA or Japan etc.]. A lot of the places I have looked at aren't very keen on shipping to the UK...

:rolleyes:

Also is there anywhere in London which has a decent selection of projectors on display?

Cheers,
    Nick

7. Jazzartist

Jazzartist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jmaro ,

Can you provide more information about X1 . Are the folks in Greece satisfied with the performance? What are the pros and cons.

Garry,

Thanks for the infos. I need to know for with some lamp shade lights on how many lumens is good enough for a screen size of 100 to 150 inches? What kind of contrast ratio and how many pixesls should I look for ? And also I need to know if SVGA is good enough ? An finally do you prefer DLP or LCD ? Reasons?

Thanks and regards.

Jazzartist

8. Steve Stifler

Steve Stifler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +692
    You'll get a good demo etc at Projectorsareus.com in Hosham. Saw the X1 against the VX-91E Sharp and Optima H50. I thought the X1 was great. It does have compenent input via a special SHVS style input thrugh an adaptor. Only reason I didn't buy was this input has to be unplugged to get your SVHS input. It was just FAB for the cash around £1K. It has a 2 speed color wheel so you may find the odd "rainbow", but I'm not bothered by these.
    Hope this helps.
    The Stifmeister

9. Jazzartist

Jazzartist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi steve thanks for the input. I have so far used CRT tv and now I have 50 Hz projection Tv . Only recently I have bought one older version used Sanyo projector so I am not familiar with the rainbow effect . Lot of folks have mentioned about it whta it by the way ? Well when you viewed the X1 was it connected by Component or S video ? Did it out perform the other projectors in its price range . Any cons about X1 ?
    Regards.

Jazzartist

10. Steve Stifler

Steve Stifler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +692
    To me it certainly looked a nicer picture than the others I mentioned. Part of my demo was using Pleasantville which is mostly black and white. None was perfect, but hey were're not talking top range PJs. I also used Jawbreaker for its bright colours. All PJs had problems with resolving the tree when the dead girl was being carried through the garden and the group was obscurred by the tree. Rebecca Gayheart never looked so good!

The demo was using the special ?7 pin "SVHS" input that doubles as a component input with the right adpator lead. The adapter allowed normal 3 cable component, which was via ? Pioneer 900 series player.
    Rainbows are a weakness in DLP PJs. and relate to the technology. Basically, the faster wheel speed, and more colours in the wheel, the less likely the rainbow, if visible at all. I'm not prone to them. Did notice it a little on Pleasantville, but I was looking hard. The X1 was a 2 speed wheel, but it was grealty helped by its Faroudja processing. Hope this helps. To check out some excellent reviews on the X1 and others, try projectorcentral.com
    You'll get a great price and service from the site I suggested above. I'm going back there to review a different (read expensive )PJ when its released (£3.5K price bracket probably.
    Regards
    Stifler

11. joe davis

joe davis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  12. Sorcery

Sorcery
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know of anywhere in the USA or Japan that would be willing to export an X1 or equivalent to the UK. I have as of yet had no luck finding such a company.

:(

Cheers,
    Nick

13. Vorlon

Vorlon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorcery

I was very fortunate recently to get an X1 on home demo for a week (friend of a friend etc). To my amazement straight out of the box the picture was quite stunning. very few tweaks were needed and it displayed a gorgeous image. I tried a few of the usual test's (fifth element/gladiator/batman/star wars II) and it had excellent blacks with very little edging. Screen to PJ distance was around 3.8M and from this viewing distance i could see no chicken wire, only twice did i see the rainbow effect in over 27 hours of viewing. I even fed the S-VHS signal from my sky box into it and watched the Matrix. It coped superbly with the green/black images, even conveying the shine on the latex cat suit. As for fan noise....very very quiet. I am so impressed by it, that unless the Panasonic PT AE300 which I'm demoing this week blows me away I will be getting one.
    Hope this is of some help.

14. Jazzartist

Jazzartist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Vorlon ,

Since I am considering X1 vs AE300. Please keep us posted once you have had the chance to see the Panasonic AE 300 . Thanks.

Jazzartist .

15. NickGa

NickGa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought an Infocus X1 from pc connection (details below) and had it shipped to France. Total cost $999 + $77 DHL delivery + VAT payable in France. Delivery took about two days and PC Connection listed it as computer goods on the customs declaration so no import duty was charged.

PC CONNECTION SERVICES
    IT Solutions for Business
    jpowers@pcconnection.com
    Phone: 603-355-0009 Fax: 603-683-5775
    Phone: 800-800-0011 X76224
    www.pcconnection.com

16. joe davis

joe davis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi steve x1
    The VGA port is used for computer displays (640x480, 800x600, 1024x768) and video with 1080i, 720p, 576p, and 480p sources (both RGBHV and Y/Pb/Pr component) with a breakout cable.

There is a special adapter that attaches through the s-video connector for 480i and 576i Y/Pb/Pr component.

Only 480i, 576i, s-video, and composite use the projector's Faroudja processing, so these sources might actually look better than 480p and 576p from a progressive DVD player that does not have Faroudja processing.

thanks joe

17. Steve Stifler

Steve Stifler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +692
    cheers Joe

18. Vorlon

Vorlon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorcery and Jazzartist

I was lucky enough last week to get my demo at long last.....I went along to NexNix (very very nice people !) and they had on demo the Infocus X1, Panasonic PTAE 300 and the Sanyo PLVZ1. I found it extremely useful to be able to do a direct comparrison between these 3 PJ's using the same piece of film. Started off with the Infocus....still (IMHO) a very good picture, with excellent blacks & whites, i have found that the rainbow problem doesn't affect me. Then we went on to the PTAE300 (the one I've been trying to demo for over 5 weeks!) and.......well, it was worth the wait.......awesome......the smooth image wizardry they use has smoothed out the chicken wire effect and left you with a proper 16:9 image that was glorious !! As for the Sanyo, nice size image (similar to the PTAE) but too much pixellation for me, very screen door. So it's the Panasonic for me.........just gotta get me one of them Barclaycards to get the price match !!!!
    Hope this helps.

19. joe davis

joe davis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi steve x1

So provided you have a progressive scan DVD (preferably a good one) the prefered connection method would be through a VGA to component adapter, next would be the component to S-video adapter, next would be S-video and finally the runt of the bunch being RCA video jack.

thanks joe

20. joe davis

joe davis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0