1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Infocus X1

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by scott686868, Dec 16, 2003.

1. scott686868

scott686868

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right now i'm really confused,

Any views on the Infocus X1 ? Just found it and it seems like a really good model with
    2000:1 Contrast ratio
    1000 Lumens
    DLP

I called projectorpoint.co.uk and they said a lot of people suffer rainbow effect, is this true and what is it lol
    Other options is Hitachi PJ-TX10, Panasonic PTAE200E and Sanyo PLVZ1 which i think is also another good model.
    Has anyone got any of these and are they anygood. Like the look of the Infocus but was put off with what they said about rainbow effect, is this true ?

2. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Some people suffer from rainbows. I believe it is a very small percentage who suffer, but you always seem to find more around forums like this probably because you only really hear from the unlucky sufferers (and we are the only people looking!)...

I can't explain the reasons people see rainbows well enough to even try, but you need to see a DLP projector in action to know if you do. If you do see rainbows they will be like flashes of light with a rainbow effect whilst you are watching. At best they are annoying at worst you'll feel ill!

The faster the colour wheel, or is it the more segments it has? the less chance you have of seeing them. The X1 is quite a budget DLP so if you don't see rainbows on that you probably will never see them on any DLP.

Cheers
    Marc

3. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    You should demo before you buy really. Easier said than done tho, which is why I bought a Z2 blind, glad I did tho. BUT with DLP you really need to get a demo coz those rainbows are a nightmare.

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    The Infocus is a good little projector for the money, but as Marc has said, due to it's slower colour wheel, if you're susceptibal to the rainbow effect then you're more likely to see it. Marc has summed it up pretty well, and I'll reinforce his point that you really must demo a DLP, and if you don't see it on the X1, you're unlikely too on a faster colour wheel model.

With the X1, when running in video mode, the white segment of the colour wheel is disabled, and the contrast ratio drops to 1400:1.

As it's an 800 x 600 machine, it will crop NTSC to 800 x 450, but this is no worse than the overscan on a tv, and it will downscale PAL to match IIRC.

Another model worth looking at for around £1600 is this new Philips which is 1024 x 768:

http://www.ivojo.co.uk/philips-bogart-matchline.htm

There's some more info in the Philips thread lower down, and you're less likely to see rainbows on this model - it has an RGBRGB colour wheel, and no white segment.

I've yet to see this model, but it looks great value if it works as well as it's spec suggests.

Gary.

5. scott686868

scott686868

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Easier said than done. I stay in Aberdeen and the only hifi shop here that deal with projectors is quite expensive. Nearest option is Sevenoaks in Edinburgh or Glasgow with the £1,000 Sanyo PLVZ1, i can get it from the net £60-70 cheaper but was thinking it might be worth buying it from a shop rather than the net.

6. RobTi

RobTi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    just ordered my z1 from sevenoaks, reason 12 months interest free which at this time will do me and can pick it up next day and easier to return if it goes haywire

7. tekmonkey

tekmonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nobody here seems to have mentioned the X1 is not a UK model the screenplay 4800 is a UK model, I saw one running the other day @ my local 7oaks, admittedly on a firehawk screen but I was bowled over. £1200 DLP with Faroudja, what more can you ask for? Maybe a input box with optical link ;-)

IMHO saving £60-£70 online Vs dealer on a Proj not worth it £200 maybe but not such a small amount, Proj in the long term are high maintainance, not something to buy online, unless massive savings 20% or more kinda thing.

Just for the record I am now the v.proud owner of a Sim2 300 link.

8. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi scott686868

The X1 is a great machine for the price & if you look at some of the clones IBM or Toshiba these can be found for less than £800. For more information on these machines go to the FAQ sticky at the start of this section and you will get a link to a very good site dedicated to this machine. In essence the X1 was initially marketed as a dual role Business & Leasure machine - in the USA it is probably the most popular budget PJ for home theatre use. Infocus have since moved there marketing strategy to seperate the business and home theatre PJ's. The Screen Play 4800 and X1 are the same machine - the bundled accessories and software are the only differences. Both are available and are UK machines.

Paul

9. Georgio

Georgio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I quite agree with Paul. The X1 is an excellent choice - I'm one of the minority who see rainbows occasionally, but they don't spoil my enjoyment and they have diminished in noticeability. You might want to look at my 'first impressions' review at: X1 review