Infocus X1 when using component I/P

G

GAZCHURCHEND

So can anyone help. I have the X1 projector which I personally feel is possibly the best value for money projector money can buy, but I do have a slight niggle!

I have always been pleased with the picture quality using s-video input, but always wanting the best from my equipment, I wanted to use the component input. I brought the Toshiba 330e DVD player purely because of its good reputation and its component out - HOWEVER...

Allthough the picture quality on bright images was crisp and as perfect as one could expect, any black areas lost all definition. Now matter how I adjusted brightness & contrast I can not seem to alter it. Its a little hard to describe the effect but its almost like someones painted a completely flat shade of black or off black onto the picture!..

Has anyone experienced this - it is as if either the DVD player or the projecter can't process the dark information properly.

Any ideas greatly accepted....

To get the black level (brightness) and white level (contrast) correct, you need something like Avia for NTSC (needle pulse tests) or for PAL, Video Essentials.

If you still get large areas of black, then you may need to adjust the brightness and contrast settings within the player, before going back to the projector.

Gary.

Cheers for that. I did have a setup disk but its pants.. I will look for the video essentials though. - when you say adjust the brightness and contrast within the player do you mean taking the lid off and making adjustments as there aren't any actual controls on the remote..

There should be some user adjustments via the on screen menus, though not having adjusted an X1, I couldn't tell you how to access those menu items.

Is there anything in the user manual for it?

Gary.

Hi Gary

OK I think its sorted (feel a bit stupid now though)

The DVD Player has some video enhancement modes which I have only left on normal to date. I flicked through them last night while looking at a dark film and you've guessed it the other 'film' modes lighten up the output much more. The best mode I found was called 'Animation'. I did have to lower the brightness back down on the x1 to compensate though but it does look sorted!!

Thanks though for kicking me in to experimenting a little further though.....

Cheers
Gaz..

Is there a 'film' or 'movie' option as well as 'animation'?

Just wondering how they look in comparison.

Gary.

Yep there are 2 movie modes, but both are very bright and washed out. The resulting picture would need major alteration at the projector end. Animation was closer to looking natural with little adjustment.
I could do with the video essentials disk I think. The setup disk I have is naff, it was only of any use for setting brightness. Contrast was set via a tight grid on screen which never seemed to change much contrast!
What do you get for setting contrast on the essentials disk?

I've not used Video Essentials, only Avia, but I think VE has a three bar test screen that allows you to adjust the brightness until the bars just start to dissapear, and a similar test for the white bars.

The idea is that if the contrast is set too high, the white bars will not be visible, but having them just right should mean that you're not losing any bright detail by making it all merge into one bright mass. Does that make sense? I watch a lot of NTSC stuff, and Avia is easy to use for these settings, so that's why I've always used it. Pierre Milano sells them for a good price on the forums here. If you watch mostly PAL, then VE is probably better suited though. I'm sure there are plenty of VE users that will be able to guide you through the basic settings.

You'll probably find that using a 'movie' setting, then adjusting the projector for brightness and contrast will produce best results, but at the end of the day, having how you like is what is most important. :)

Gary.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom