1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Infocus X1 - West Midlands

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by superdon, Sep 2, 2004.

1. superdon

superdon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Anyone know of any dealers that have the Infocus X1 (and other budget pj's) set up for demo around the West Mids, or Worcs?

Failing that, anyone with an X1 fancy letting me pop around and check it out? I am in Kidderminster.

2. gumboots

gumboots
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was having the same problem, but in the end I went (with trepidation!) to PC World (by the river) in Worcester. Even though they don't have a dedicated demo room or anything, they knocked together a demo of a display model for me and were very helpful. (Wouldn't normally buy from there, but the X1 is £600 there and although it can be got for less, I thought it was worth the extra to be able to take home my new toy there and then.)

I'm using the X1 for Sky+ and some DVDs from a Philips DVDR75. Very impressed, even projecting onto an off-white bit of empty wall, better still at night.

My first post :) hope it helped..!

3. superdon

superdon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Yeah, sounds good. PC World being helpful!!??!! Must have been a one off!

Did they set up a DVD to watch?

The only thing I am worried about is the rainbow effect. I think I have it down to either this X1 or the Epson TW10H now. They appear to be some of the best in this range.

4. gumboots

gumboots
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I had tried another PCW branch who were really terrible. Wouldn't even demo it, wouldn't have given me my money back if there had been rainbows for me. Don't think they wanted my money.

Unfortunately no DVD - They had some corporate PCWorld video on a loop, but I guess it was enough to see if there were any rainbows for me. (I find I can discern them if I move my eyes across an image with high contrast, but for me it's not a showstopper.)

The demo they showed had been running on an LCD projector with a really old bulb, and it was interesting how washed out and uneven that image was by comparison.

I haven't seen the TW10H, but the X1 does the job for me. But it is very much a personal decision, I reckon.

Goood Luck!

5. superdon

superdon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    What was the other PCW you went to out of interest?

I am in Kidderminster, and there is a branch here so I may pop in and see what they can do.

Are you aware of any other good dealers in the area?

6. gumboots

gumboots
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The unhelpful PC World was in Cambridge. Don't know anywhere else in Worcs, sorry. I reckon it might help to go during a quiet time, so they're not busy trying to sell a PC "Tune Up" for £100 to unsuspecting non-techies :)

7. superdon

superdon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    lol :)

8. IanWhite

IanWhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been in a few PCW (london, berks), and none of them appear to have the X1 anymore :(

9. FubarNo1

FubarNo1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Buy from on-line sources, with the distance selling rule you can return it within 7 days, all you loose is the cost of P&P.

By the way Hi! everyone my first post :hiya:

10. superdon

superdon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Will they always provide a full refund? I thought it only applied if you dont open the box/use the product?

11. superdon

superdon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Just looked into this further, and it appears that etailers should refund no matter what the reason. The only thing you may have to pay is the return delivery.

I have checked on a number of websites, and some state the box must be unopened. Others just say it must be in good condition.

Incidentally, it looks like PC World do a 14 day return. So, it may be worth just buying one and seeing how I get on?

12. IanWhite

IanWhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PCW Terms - the phrase 'unused' will get you

Cancellations and Returns
    You can cancel your purchase at any time either before or up to 14 days after delivery by:

returning the product to one of our stores (please bring your receipt with you and the card you paid with, so that it can be credited);
    following the 'Returns' instructions in your delivery documentation;
    emailing us at sales@pcworld.co.uk;
    phoning us on 0870 242 0444 - please have your order reference number and delivery details to hand;
    writing to after sales, P.O. Box 1925, Sheffield, S2 5XW (please do not post products to this address).
    Your product must be complete, unused and in 'as new' condition (e.g. if you have opened the box to examine the product you must have done so without damaging or marking the product in any). It should be returned with the original box, packing and accessories. Pre-recorded videotapes, DVDs, CDs, minidiscs and other software must be sealed. Any 'Free Gifts' received with the product must also be returned.

You will receive a full refund, and the cancellation is free of charge provided you return the product to a store, arrange for it to be collected from the delivery address or use one of our pre-paid returns labels. If you choose another method of return, you must bear the costs.

We cannot cancel your purchase when:

you return your product to a store without proof of purchase;
    there is a contract for services with the product and you have started using the services (this would include e.g. a mobile phone subscription, but not an extended warranty service agreement);
    the seal has been broken on any software including games; or
    the goods were a special order to your specification.

13. superdon

superdon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Have found a couple of dealers that will let me have a 7 day "trial". Some have a limit of X hours use.

Just have to decide if I should go with the X1, Epson TW10H or something else!

14. alan5757

alan5757

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I phoned PC World to check stock availability in the North East and asked if anyone could demo. Was given details of branches with stock but they wouldn't demo. The advisor said I would be able to return it for a refund if it was unsuitable.

Went to a store to buy and was told no way. Told him he was contradicting advice given by another representative of the company, on the back of which I had travelled 20 miles, but he wasn't interested. I asked for a demo but was turned down.

Needless to say I didn't buy. However, eventually decided to take a chance and gave another branch my custom.

I haven't been disappointed. First film I watched was LOTR Two Towers. Was affected by rainbows but not enough to put me off. After 3 weeks or so they bother me very little except for subtitles

15. superdon

superdon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Can I ask what sort of room size/set up you have?

16. superdon

superdon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Well, visited two PC World's today and neother had the X1 and neither would demo any projectors! Looks like I am going to have to buy blind!

17. alan5757

alan5757

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Room not set up as yet.

Projector is about 11.5ft from wall with cream wallpaper. I sit about 13ft away. In 16:9 I'm looking at an 80" diagonal picture and its excellent.

I'll be content with the wall for quite a while as we're considering some building work which would impact on which size screen I would buy

18. superdon

superdon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Good to hear.

I think I have spent too much time on these forums. I think I may now have been persuaded to up my budget to about £1K so there are loads of options now. Just wish there was somewhere to demo myself rather than buy blind!