1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Infocus X1 vs Panny AE100

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by cyberheater, Jul 29, 2003.

1. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    With the recent demise of my Panny AE100. I was wondering whether (once I get it back from Panasonic) I should trade it in for a Infocus X1.

Has anyone got any experience of this machine. How do the blacks/colour/contrast compare to the AE100?

Is there a noticeable difference?

Thanks guys.

2. Simon Fitz

Simon Fitz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I just purchased an X1 after trying out a few different projectors including the X1, the AE1/200 and the Sanyo PLVZ1. To be honest the answer to your question is subjective. So you should probably go with your own gut instinct, however -

If you are considering a replacement the X1 is very very nice for the price (I managed to get mine, an ex demo unit for Stg£765 pre VAT). Shop around for the best price using the web ... you'll be surprised at the differences.

If I had not been offered the X1 at that price I would have gone for the Sanyo PLVZ1 ... little between them on the picuture but the Sanyo has a far better feature set, especially the ability to offset the image in two dimensions, quieter fan and wider angle lens for coffee table use (most people have their coffee table between the viwing position and the screen so wide angle is a must for this)... none of these features are available on the X1.

Having said that I was running the X1 last night for the first time at home and the picture blew me away !! I've seen no rainbows thus far ... You can't go wrong with the X1

I've not been able to try the Panny, X1 and PLVZ1 side by side but from the individual tests the Z1 has an edge over the X1 with the Panny lagging a good bit behind ... price was a factor for me so I went with the X1. But then I'm sure there are plenty of people who will disagree with me in this forum ...

It is also worth considering the additional investment to change from the Panny ... probably about £300-500 ... is this really worth it for the slgihtly better image ?

Hope this helps ...

Regards,

Simon

3. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi cyberheater,

I demo'd the X1 against the AE100 and found the AE100 to be unacceptable for many reasons, colour, contrast and so on were just better with the X1 as was the overall quality of the picture. Since this I have viewed a few more LCD units but have found all in my price range to be unacceptable. So I'm firmly in the DLP camp, however if you've been happy with the AE100, then, as simon says the Sanyo Z1 is significantly better.

Paul.

4. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    How are the black levels and shadow detail in comparison. I have been using a FLD filter projecting onto a grey screen just to get a decent black. Is the X1 significantly better in this regard.

5. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I currently use the Draper High Contrast Grey Screen with my X1 and have found the black level to be exellent. However, I cannot say how the screen performs with or would enhance the black levels with LCD projectors as all have been demo'd on matt white surfaces and are not in the same league as the X1 (Z1 was pretty good though). The other issue is of course the Draper screen has a gain of 0.8 so a brighter projector is a plus.

Paul