1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Infocus X1 Projector DLP - 1100 - very cheap is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by zama, Jun 26, 2004.

1. zama

zama
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all - this is my first post, so if i mess up please be kind.
    Im planning on buying my first projector, been buying all the mags, reading all the reviews, as well as this forum. The ThemeScene H30 was top of my list then I came across this from ebuyer:

Infocus X1 Projector DLP - 1100 ANSI Lumens 800x600 SVGA (£571.80 inc VAT), here's the link:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...m9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=45168&_LOC=UK

a heck of a lot cheaper, whats the catch?, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Zama

2. Kronenbourg

Kronenbourg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Anyone got one? At that kind of price I would be v tempted if they are any good.

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Infocus X1 or clone - 6".

So there are a few X1 or clone owners around here.

My biggest gripe with the X1 was rainbowing as it only has a 2x colour wheel. Higher resolution would also be better but for <£600 it's not a bad introduction to front projection. A demo is advisable though as some are seriously affected by rainbows with eye fatigue & even nausea in some cases :eek: .

There's a good link to a dedicated X1 site in the FAQ sticky IIRC.

:smoke:

4. bobbetts

bobbetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

5. Docta teef

Docta teef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I watched the england v france match on the MT100 (tosh clone) it was good but not great (thats the projector was not the match) but for the money you cannot grumble. Having said that ive yet to notice rainbows on a DLP (maybe i should open my eyes)

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    For the money it's great value, providing rainbows aren't an issue.

I thought the image it produced was pretty good provided you sat around 2 x screen width away (same goes for any svga pj though). Colours were good, though not quite up to the quality of a Sim2 Ht200DMF I saw at the same time (or NEC HT1000), but similar to a Sharp Z90 IIRC.

It would do as a starter machine for 2 or 3 years by which time the current technology would have become cheaper. It's not a great deal more than the cost of a replacement lamp either.

Gary.

7. zama

zama
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the feedback, Demo's not possible, I live in the Northants area, don't know of any Home Cinema Shops locally, that’s why I rely so heavily on this forum and the Mags (can’t even get Freeview around here), that’s why I appreciate all the advice. Ebuyer is a mail order computer shop, that’s why I was surprised to see projectors for sale. I'll hang on a few weeks and go for the ThemeScene H30 or similar, I’ll make the final decision when I have the money.
    Much Appreciated
    Zama