1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

infocus X1 or sony HS3

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by frederic, Oct 14, 2003.

1. frederic

frederic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found a really good deal on the infocus x1 (£775) and I can still cancel my pre order of the sony HS3. I liked the ease of setup on the HS3 with side shot function. I noticed the fan noise is a lot higher on the infocus (37 db agains 28 for the hs3) What do you guys recommend?

2. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    That’s a tricky question as they are totally different machines.

The X1 is a DLP machine with a native 4:3 panel, which will output a 16:9 image at a loss of resolution. As this is the very bottom end of DLP projection I suggest you demo it and see if the rainbow anomaly affects you. I see an X1 running briefly at demo and it was a cracking image, but I wanted a true 16:9 machine.

Cant say anything about the LCD HS3 as it is yet to hit the market place. However, it looks nice on paper. True 16:9 - probably not that different to 16:9 mode on the X1.

It may have noticeable screen door due to the lower res, but again only you can determine that via a demo.

There are a couple of happy X1 owners here, maybe they can help? However, we can steer you , but only you can decide.

Cap:smashin:

3. pal

pal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I saw a demo of an X1 in it's Screenplay 4800 guise. Compared to
    any LCD model in that price range including Panny 300, it really impressed.
    However Rainbows are the thing. I did see slight rainbow effects-but felt I could live with them as they did not detract much from the film(LOTR 1). I am definiteley in the market for one.
    Notwithstanding the above I was told later by a dealer that I should have insisted on watching the whole film. It is only then that you can decide whether you truly can live with the rainbow effect.