Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Infocus X1 from Ebuyer (x1 or x1a ?)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by aspick, Oct 23, 2004.

1. aspick

aspick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I've just ordered an X1 from ebuyer - stocks were getting pretty low and I figured these are getting in short supply everywhere. It hasn't been shipped yet but I'm getting a bit worried because someone else posted in their reviews section that they actually received an X1a instead of an X1 - this is not what I want obviously - the X1a is inferior - doesn't have the faroudja (sp?) stuff built-in.

I have asked ebuyer via their enotes but as yet no reply.

Anyone else bought one fairly recently and received an actual X1 ?

BTW, PC World seem to still have the X1 advertised for a good price although no stock - I rang them to find out if any local stores had any left or if they were getting any more in but whoever I spoke to didn't have a clue!

Andy

2. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i bought an x1 from ebuyer, about two months ago. It was the x1 and not the x1a

3. starfire

starfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Yes, that was me who ended up with the X1a :thumbsdow

Thats after previously getting an LP640!

I could say a few choice things about eBuyer....

The X1 is now out of stock and I'd doubt whether they can get hold of any more as its not made anymore.

However, as I am driving the X1a via HTPC its bypassing the faroudja anyway so effectively the same machine as an X1.

Remember, if you are NOT feeding an interlaced signal then X1 vs. X1a is no difference in picture quality AFAIK.

Plus the X1a is 60 odd quid cheaper.

Watched Star Wars tonight and it was stunning :thumbsup:

4. aspick

aspick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Yep, when I ordered there were about 9 left so I thought I'd better get in there now before stock disappeared.

Since then I have noticed the X1a appear as a separate item on the site and as you say, just over £500 including the VAT so it makes it 60-70 quid cheaper.

I'm sure that wasn't on there before.

From what you say though, you originally ordered the X1 from the site but received the X1a ? (which is a bit unlucky I must say)

Are you still planning on returning it?

Mine will be going in a garage conversion to home cinema/play room for kids but I haven't got around to doing any of that yet so will play around with the X1 in a different room for now. It may be doing more than DVD stuff ie. sky etc. so I suppose the Faroudja stuff will definitely help there.

I also bought the 84" screen (Infocus again) from ebuyer - haven't seen any reviews of this yet but I didn't want to break the bank to start with and needed a pull down screen anyway.

Can't wait!

5. starfire

starfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Yes, I ordered an X1 and originally received an LP640!

So, RMA'd this but in the meantime (as RMA takes 7-10 days) I ordered another X1 as they were running low and this time received an X1a !!

2 wrong items!

So, I'm pretty p****d off as I won't be able to get a X1 now as they're out of stock.

But, I may just keep the X1a as for HTPC use it makes no difference.

For £500ish it is brilliant.

6. aspick

aspick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Hmm, I still haven't had an enote reply from ebuyer but today I have received the projector. Now I am at work but my parents who are looking after my kids at home had taken delivery. They tell me that the label on the box says "Infocus X1a" so thats a big downer for me! :-(

I'll have to confirm this later when I get home but if it is the X1a then there is no way that I am keeping it, especially as ebuyer now sell the X1a as a lot less than the original X1.

I'm wondering whether I can get away with the "misdescribed goods" reason for returning it though and get a full refund including my return carriage costs (thats one thing that cheeses me off about ebuyer when you have to return goods). Basically I asked for an X1 and it appears I too have received an X1a and it doesn't look like I'll be able to get an actual X1 anymore so I may decide to get a Benq PB6100 (my 2nd choice) from them instead as this also appears to have good reviews (slightly better quality than the X1 but no Faroudja) - I suspect it should still be better than the X1a though.

All a bit messy!!!!

7. starfire

starfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    You will be able to return it no problem - the X1 and X1a are different products.

They have arranged a courier to pick mine up and will give me a refund.