Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Infocus X1 Component to S-Video Adapter

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Skidion, Sep 19, 2003.

1. Skidion

Skidion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I purchased an X1 from the US and alas it did not come with the Component to S-Video adapter as advertised on the Infocus site:

http://store.infocus.com/escalate/s...ssories-Cables&pls5catname=Accessories-Cables

Video Adapter for InFocus LP500, LP530, X1, SP4800
    Part Number: SP-VIDEO-ADPT

After much searching I managed to source it from the following UK site:

http://www.dcsplc.co.uk/product_search.asp?manuid=76&searchcat=0&searchtext=SP-VIDEO-ADPT

Hope this helps anybody looking for the adaptor from a UK source.

Took a while to be delivered, but I believe they now have a number in stock.

Attached Files:

2. Skidion

Skidion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Bought the X! from:

http://www.pcconnection.com/scripts/productdetail.asp?product_id=318613

About £740 after shipping and VAT.

Received it within a week of ordering.... pretty good really and very pleased with the result for the money.

Have nearly completed my Home Cinema. Dedicated room with a 120 wide screen.

I will be using the X1 until the new HD2+ become available, so this is just a stop gap. Considering the Infocus 7205, Sharp XV-Z12000 and a few others.

Have much other info for sourcing cheap components, cables, screen material etc... This home cinema had a modest budget so I had to get the best proce I could for components.

3. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    The X1 is a great PJ at its price point - link into one of the US AV forums (avsforum.com) as this is THE major buget PJ at present + this link (if you haven't found it yet has loads of info.

http://members.shaw.ca/technut/x1faq/

How do you stand with warranty regarding a US source X1?

Paul

4. Skidion

Skidion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Unfortunately the warranty remains in the US.

So if something does go wrong then it has to go back to US, but at a saving of aprox £250 from any UK source I can afford for it to go back a number of times before I use up that £250.

Theoretically I could get it serviced in the UK should I need to. X1 I have seems fine though so hopefully no problems will arrise.

Will be hooking up the Sony 930 DVD this weekend to test the progressive (PAL 480p) to the VGA input via a breakout cable. Will post results plus pictures of completed cinema soon.

5. Skidion

Skidion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    All right so I tempted fate.....

My PJ has just stopped working after less than 10 hours use.

Not wanting to incur the cost of sending back the PJ to USA, I rang the UK (0800 0286470) helpline on the off chance that I could get PJ repaired from Infocus Amsterdam.

Now here is the good news.... they will. As long as you have proof that you have paid the VAT import duty they will accept warranty repair. They pay for shipping etc to and from Amsterdam.

So my previous understanding that warranty remains in the US is not entirely correct.

This makes the proposition of buying the PJ from the US, at a £250 saving, much more appealing.

6. Sorcery

Sorcery
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nexnix are currently selling an Infocus X1 clone the IBM IVL300 for £725 + VAT which is a pretty good price as far as I'm concerned :)

I ordered one this week - I had previously planned to import one from the states but for the extra hassle involved I decided to opt for this offer instead...

Might be of interest to someone on here :D if not never mind :)

Cheers,
    Nick

7. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi Skidion

Sorry to hear about your early X1 demise!:thumbsdow Did you ever get around to trying the Progressive scan input? I have just placed an order for the SP-VESA-ADPT in readiness, so if and when I decide to upgrade my DVD player I have all the relevant connectors available to try a prog scan unit. X1 accessories also seem to be reducing in price as a few weeks back this was about £20 now £10.63 and the SP-VIDEO-ADPT for £6.96 (inc VAT)

Sorcery, just as a point of interest what was bundled (adaptor wise) with IBM IVL300 and what version of the firmware is it showing?

Paul

8. Georgio

Georgio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought one of these from Nexnix a couple of weeks ago. Only 9 hours on it to date but I'm very pleased. AFAIK the only differences from an X1 are: the projector housing is black instead of two-tone grey and it comes with a different remote and a canvas carry-case.
    The firmware is v 3.8. You can turn off the default IBM logo that appears on the screen at startup. Cables provided include s-video and VGA cables. Both look to be about 5 metres, which is too short for permanent installations. No video adaptors provided. The remote seems quite handy (its beam us strong enough to work by reflection off the screen) and it has a laser pointer built into it.
    It comes with a 3 year IBM return-to-base (UK) warranty. The printed instructions are minimal, but there is a CD with an IBM-written user manual. Of course you can download the official inFocus manual from their web site.

The X1 is often said to have a relatively high noise output but I don't find it objectionable, even with the projector table-mounted right in front of the viewing position. I do sometimes see rainbows, but not at a level where they are a problem - my wife never seens them. I normally feed the PJ through a ProV deinterlacer and a VGA cable. When I tried it with an interlaced signal through s-video the rainbows seemed more noticeable.

I'll keep the forum posted if I discover any other differences from the X1. I'm currently working out how to ceiling mount it. I plan to use a cheapo loudspeaker bracket that I picked up at Maplin for £6.99.

Georgeio

9. Sorcery

Sorcery
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought one of these from Nexnix and have been incredibly impressed with it. I intend to share my experiences with the people on here when I have finished my Home Cinema room :)

Incidentally though I notice that Infocus now have the new firmware on their site available for download. Does anyone know if the X1 firmware can be used with this IBM projector?

It looks like it has the correct drivers etc. but I don't want to install the new firmware and find out that it has trashed the projector or invalidated the warranty. Maybe it would be worth contacting IBM...

Cheers,
    Nick

10. Sorcery

Sorcery
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought one of these from Nexnix and have been incredibly impressed with it. I intend to share my experiences with the people on here when I have finished my Home Cinema room :)

Incidentally though I notice that Infocus now have the new firmware on their site available for download. Does anyone know if the X1 firmware can be used with this IBM projector?

It looks like it has the correct drivers etc. but I don't want to install the new firmware and find out that it has trashed the projector or invalidated the warranty. Maybe it would be worth contacting IBM...

Cheers,
    Nick