1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Infocus X1 £563 Delivered

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by sconie, Aug 12, 2004.

1. sconie

sconie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Out of stock.

Order your Hama 10m 3 Phono Component to VGA lead for £25 delivered from http://www.beststuff.co.uk/superior_leads.htm

Then build your screen for £30 with the instructions found on this site (blackout cloth).

Finaly add the AMW home cinema system from Ebuyer for under £60 delivered and bobs your uncle a "newby" home cinema for under £678 :clap: :smashin:

No excuse not to join the PJ club now.

2. 45six

45six
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    do Currys do 0% finance on that too ? ;-)

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    Hi 45six,

Still wavering I see then? :)

If you don't mind having a pulldown screen above the tv, you can have your cake and eat it - tv for the normal stuff, and a projector for movies and X-Box.

Cheaper than a 36" tv.... :)

Waddaya say? :)

gary.

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    An X1 for £563.................. Holy Moley....... :eek:

Sean G.

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    Especialy when you consider that 4.5 years ago, I bought a Davis DLS8 for £2500, and it needed a £625 HTPC to drive it.

The X1 gives a very similar picture (better in fact) without the need for HTPC (has the processing built in), and is less than £600.

Astonishing. :)

6. 45six

45six
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Everyone's advice is keep my telly for watchin the NTL cable tv
    and use the projector for Xbox gaming and Xbox dvd watching.

Doing that would I guess make sense,
    as the NTL doesn't output anything more than stereo audio,
    which my old tv deals with fine anyway.

I can then relocate the 5.1 amp and speakers to work just with the Xbox,
    and send the video through the projector.

If I get the Xbox HD AV cable which outputs to "component",
    is that a "HDTV" or "Progressive output" ?

from the pdf manual:
    accessories site:
    http://www.infocus.com/service/x1/x1accessories.asp?site_lang=1&site_region=3&

Do I need the component to S-video, or the component to VESA !?

7. 45six

45six
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just one more question, sorry.
    Of the following, are any worth spending the extra over the X1 ?
    (sub £1000 pjs from Currys, so I can use that voucher)

Epson EMP-S1
    Sanyo SW30
    Epson EMP TW10
    Sony VPL-ES1
    Sanyo SL20

Rarely will use it for pc, so video quality is priority.

8. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    The main difference between a presentation projector and a projector suitable for home theater is that the HT one will have on-board video processing such as Faroudja. This eliminates all the jaggies and takes care of 3:2 pulldown if the source is NTSC and knows how to diaplay PAL at 50hz (or an equivalent) for example - it can deinterlace and scale an image. Presentation projectors generaly do a poor job with video and it's evident in the image you see on the screen.

So really, you need to know if the other projectors are designed with some form of video processing built in or not. The X1 was designed for with HT in mind and has Faroudja, so will give a reasonable image. I've not seen the others you mention or their specs, but if their any good, we'd normaly see them mentioned somewhere.

Gary.

9. 45six

45six
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    searching on google, it looks like that code works with pc world too (part of the same group)

they also offer 6 months 0%, but only over the phone or in store,
    gonna ring tomorrow and find out if they accept voucher code too.

10. sconie

sconie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I think you will find the code is only worth 5% with pc world when you get to the checkout, delivery is more to.

11. 45six

45six
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  12. Chris M

Chris M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just found this forum and thread. I've got the IBM ilv300 - another clone of the infocus 4800 - had it for about 6 months (bought for £670) and it's fantastic value for money - thought not quite up to the current offer highlighted here.

I've just bought a pioneer 575A universal player and want to get the best quality picture possible. Till now I've used a Toshiba 330 and connected with RGB cable and RGB to S-video adapter. Quality of picture has been very good, depending on source material. I've thought that I was getting the equivalent of a progressive scan image via the Farouja chip. Now with the Pioneer hooked up, I was unclear whether that would provide progressive scan in preference to the ilv300's internal chip. I tried to set the DVD player up for progressive scan and the image doubled on the screen before it went blank.

I've worked out that the projector needs a progressive scan signal to be fed in via it's VESA port and need an adapter which I've been struggling to find. Could you help with the following:

1. Is my understanding above fundamentally right?
    2. Will progressive scan from the DVD player be better than progressive scan given by the projector's internal chip? If there will be no discernible improvement, I won't bother.
    3. Where's the place to get the adapter I need cheapest? I know the part code from infocus is SP-VESA-ADPT -component to vesa adapter, but struggled to find it on their website for purchase in the UK. I've already got a long 10m RGB to RGB cable, so just want a small adapter rather than a long cable.
    4. I noticed reference here to the Xbox adapter - Ultimate AV station. Is that all I need?
    5. Anything else should know?

Thanks guys

13. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Chris and welcome to the forums.................

Your questions as follows:

1. Is my understanding above fundamentally right?

Yip, that's it............

2. Will progressive scan from the DVD player be better than progressive scan given by the projector's internal chip? If there will be no discernible improvement, I won't bother.

The only way to tell is by trying it yourself..... the De-interlacing in the X1 is pretty well regarded though....

3. Where's the place to get the adapter I need cheapest? I know the part code from infocus is SP-VESA-ADPT -component to vesa adapter, but struggled to find it on their website for purchase in the UK. I've already got a long 10m RGB to RGB cable, so just want a small adapter rather than a long cable.

I can't recall offhand, but if you do a search here (using the "Search" button at the top of the page) I'm sure it was discussed, supplier, price etc. in a thread in the last couple of months.

4. I noticed reference here to the Xbox adapter - Ultimate AV station. Is that all I need?

Never heard of that one - maybe someone else will chime in, or you could check over on the Consoles Forum - they might know more about it.

5. Anything else should know?

There's a link in our FAQ to a site run by Technut with a very detailed run-down on the X1 and it's clones/variations - you should have a read of it, if you're not already familiar with it.

Sean G.

14. Chris M

Chris M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sean

Thanks for all that info. If I can get a cheap adapter, I'll certainly try that.