infocus v panasonic

gas1

Standard Member
Reaction score
hope someone with experience may help me out as just going to buy a panasonic ptae 3000 for £2000 and went to a different dealer who said the infocus 80 at £1400 was a much better projector, anyone got either of these that could give a reccomendation Thanks

Sorry.. I wasnt being flippant with that reply..
I have the PTAE3000 and I love it. There are lots of excellent reviews of it.. One on here.. and its generally regarded as being pretty good in its price bracket.
I had a quick look at the infocus 80 and compared it to the AE3000 and even to a layman the specs are in a different league.
Having said that.. my last pj was the AE900 and I loved that until the day I got the AE3000.

Thanks just wanted some advice from owners rather than shop people, i prefer the panasonic but you know what some shops are like and once they put a bit of doubt in your mind its gets you thinking again,Cheers

Hi,

I was in your position not long ago, I too thought the Infocus pj's had some great reviews and indeed went to audition some, starting with IN78 then IN81 & 82 then IN80.

What I will say is I was all set to buy an IN81 so I went back for a longer audition and noticed what I thought was just bleary eyes to in fact be the Rainbow Effect. O Dear DLP goodnight forever (single chip anyway.)

So step up JVC HD1 vs Panasonic PTAE3000. (£2000ish) at time.

HD1 hard to find now. Great picture & blacks. HD350 its replacement is better still. But £1000 quid more. Case closed.

PTAE3000 is simply as good as it gets for the price point. Positioning is a piece of cake compared with the Infocus pj's. My wife was never impressed with the idea of seeing a pj hanging from the ceiling and the PTAE3000 allows me to put it in a display cabinet over 6m from the screen.

Each time I turn the lights down I feel like a kid a Xmas.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Carl

p.s. The auto zoom for CIH between 4:3, 16:9 & 2:35 is the icing on the cake.

Last edited:
Thanks mate for your valued advice and experience of this projector, my heart is set on the Panasonic 3000 :). Just abit unsure with different dealers throwing their two pence worth in! Just need to decide on my screen.
Thanks again, Keith

For what it's worth, why not try on a wall to see what you might be happy with. I can guarantee you will always think you could have gone bigger if you just buy one through guess work.

You could always make one for starters and then see.

I did and ended up with 104 inches of 2:35 magic.

Cost about £40.

See it here.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/memb...6-2-39-suspended-lightweight-fixed-frame.html

Cheers
Carl

My first post:)

Starting on a garage conversion and these 2 projectors are on my shortlist. A long conversion with a friend of a friend last night whom works in the AV install business and he recommends the Panasonic over the infocus units.

Had a demo a few weeks ago for the Panasonic and was blown away.

Screen size is a question that is up there at the moment. I do like the idea of trying the PJ first before getting the screen maybe with the bare plasterboard or painted white to begin with.

Out of interest where have you found the Panasonic for £2000

Cheers

Dave

Panasonic PT-AE3000 Home Cinema Projector, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Glasgow, Scotland, UK

Try the above.

If your garage is dedicated to the cinema, why not try screengoo paint.

Goo Systems Projection Screen Paint

If you have seen it and like it make sure you take up the great offer before the end of June.

BTW I bought mine from a local Panasonic store. No vested interest.

Cheers
Carl
received my Projector today :thumbsup: haven"t finish my room yet still some work to do i will have to wait before i get mine up and runing:suicide:, anyway i can highly recommend these guys there, top notch!! Panasonic PT-AE3000 Home Cinema Projector, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Glasgow, Scotland, UK

Kent Home cinema has it priced at 1999 Regards K

Yes they have a couple left, they are B stock but all that means is the boxes were opened, otherwise brand new with full 3 year warranty seriously tempted...

Sorry.. I wasnt being flippant with that reply..
I have the PTAE3000 and I love it. There are lots of excellent reviews of it.. One on here.. and its generally regarded as being pretty good in its price bracket.
I had a quick look at the infocus 80 and compared it to the AE3000 and even to a layman the specs are in a different league.
Having said that.. my last pj was the AE900 and I loved that until the day I got the AE3000.

hi sdc

how does the ae 3000 compare to the ae900 in picture terms as i want to upgrade from the ae900

cheers

The AE3000 is brighter with deeper colours, better black and obviously 1080p..
If you live anywhere near me you would be welcome to pop in and have a look.. or alternatively see if you can get a demo somewhere.
Again.. the video review of the AE3000 on avforums is very good

W.r.t the original post, I think the IN80 is not the direct competitor.

IN81/IN82 are two Infocus models that are close competitor in terms of performance and price.

Having said that the IN80 is still a very good value for money PJ. I have not seen the Panasonic AE3000 but understand it is an excellent PJ.

I think the IN80 will advantage in the following areas
1. Sharpness
2. Colours - Default colours are awesome. You hardly need to calibrate.
3. Brightness- Enough horsepower
4. Moton Handling
5. Better ANSI CR

The Panny will have some advantages being a very feature rich projector with lots of flexibility and class performance.

If one is not susceptible to rainbows and have no placement limitaion, I would suggest them to demo DLPs like IN80/81/82 while shopping for Panny AE3000

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom