1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

InFocus SP5700 Disappointment?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by KEMilmer, Sep 13, 2004.

1. KEMilmer

KEMilmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having spent two months preparing the room (channelled wiring, new electrics, etc, etc) to receive my newly acquired and (for me, anyway) very expensive investment in AV hardware, my home cinema is a *huge* disappointment.
    Bright DVD film scenes are fine, but low-lit scenes (e.g. much of 'Road to Perdition') via my InFocus SP5700 DLP (fed from a Denon DVD 3800 / AVR_A11) produce such horrible digital artefacts that they completely detract from the enjoyment of the film. I find myself staring in disbelief at the ghostly opaque blue shadows where dark grey suits should be, with disembodied human faces staring out of dark matt blue nothingness. Sadly, I easily prefer my 32inch Sony CRT. So much for all the Projected Home Cinema hype.
    I'm using 5m of Belden 7710A component cabling. Going direct from the DVD play to projector seems to make little or no difference.
    Can anyone suggest a way of overcoming or minimising this very unpleasant image degradation, or is this the best DLP has to offer?
    Many thanks

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,988
    I can't speak for the hardware itself, but, in general, the artefacts you describe are typical of incorrect setting of the brightness.

Get a (any) DVD with THX branding on it, and find the THX optimiser feature. And use that to help you set up the optimal brightness level.

If that doesn't get rid of the problem, then it may be the projector has badly configured bias levels for the three colours. Typically, these can only be tweaked in some sort of service menu; they aren't normally provided for user adjustment.

3. MovieAddict

MovieAddict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    What screen size are you projecting onto?
    Is the room completely dark?

4. KEMilmer

KEMilmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Nigel
    Thanks for taking the time to reply.
    I'll follow your tip about using a THX DVD to tweak the brightness.
    Is the component cable likely to be a serious problem? It's expensive stuff and I've already plastered everything into the wall and ceiling now.
    Cheers

5. KEMilmer

KEMilmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The viewing distance is modest, so only a 5 foot wide screen, at 16:9 aspect ratio. Projection distance about 9.75 feet. Room is well blackened. Plasma screen works well from same front end; Sony CRT works beautifully. It's the dark image areas in low-lit projected scenes that cause the problems.

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The thing is supposed to be pre-calibrated, I have never seen what you describe, and I've installed about 20 of them. You'll be happy to hear it's not likely to be the cable, as Nigel says, try the THX optimiser, it's free, before trying anything where you spend money. Maybe the settings on yours were never done properly, or it's been treaked badly since, or did your dog sit on the remote?

7. BackBeat

BackBeat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The description of your picture problems with the 5700 sounds remarkably similar to those I encountered when feeding my projector with a progressive component signal from my Denon-DVDA11. The interlaced component signal has no such problems and produces an excellent stable picture with good contrast and colour balance without any further adjustments required. (Vastly superior to the Toshiba LT7 LCD projector I had before).

Don't know why the progressive signal was a problem though.

Backbeat.