1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Infocus service experience: X1 becomes SP4805!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ismangil, Mar 8, 2005.

1. ismangil

ismangil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Recently our two-month old Infocus X1 with only 141 hours usage was flickering. It happened even with no video input, so I put in a question through Infocus website. I was expecting the beginning of a troubleshooting session, instead they IMMEDIATELY without me requesting one issued an RMA for repair at Infocus Netherlands. UPS picked them up two days later.

The week after that, also without further correspondence, I received an email stating that instead of repairing the X1, they are sending me a replacement. I immediately called them and asked what model are they sending, since the X1 is out of production. When they told they were sending an X2, I pointed out to them that it doesn't have the Faroudja deinterlacer. So I asked if I can have the ScreenPlay 4805 instead. After a brief pause to ask the manager, I was told, it was no problem.

However, since the X2 was already on its way, I have to wait until it arrives, and then call them to exchange it. So the minute the X2 arrives, I called them, gave the serial number, and simultaneously a pickup order for the X2 was issued together with delivery order for the 4805. UPS came for pickup the next day and the 4805 arrives the day after that. Of course they issued an invoice for the 4805, just in case the X2 didn't make it back! They said the invoice would be closed when they receive the X2.

So, although I was a bit disappointed that the X1 failed after only two months, I am more than happy with the resolution. If anything, they are TOO efficient, I mean if they called me before sending the X2 I might save them a UPS round trip. Of course, since all of this to and froing didn't cost me one penny (well except for the time lost not watching DVDs :) ), I couldn't really complain.

Infocus will be my choice of projectors for a long time...

2. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    Thats great news :smashin: i have a 7200 hope i get the same service if i get any probs. I read a similar thread on the american av site with a guy and a 7200 who had a problem and they just sent him a 7205... :eek:
    I also hope to be dealing with infocus more in the future love my pj.

3. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    That's really good to hear and all too rare in this day and age. Nice to see there are still some companies out there who value customer satisfaction.
    Now if only they could come out with an affordable, silent (or as near as dammit) DLP projector.... ;)

4. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    You have really come up trumps there my friend ! The 4805 is streets ahead of the X1 and would cost considerably more to buy too.
    Infocus have really delivered!!

5. jkoc

jkoc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i envy you!!!!!!! thats awesome

6. ismangil

ismangil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree. The 4805 is has better contrast so I found that even though in lumens term it's less bright than X1 in practice the image is actually watchable with the light on.

Also gone are the 4:3 light spill, good riddance.

And for people who are dithering on DLP because of rainbows, I can tell you that while on the X1 I can force myself to see the rainbows, on 4805 no amount of forcing, squinting, or darting can produce any rainbow.

7. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    Noise...Well mine isn't silent thats for sure but the image is fooking marvelous :D I am prepared to put up with a bit of noise, even with its very minor faults i got a fantastic bargain! :smashin:

8. jazzman

jazzman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thats great to hear tha some companies really take care of the customer satisfaction.

However you seem to be the perfect person to solve my dilemma i would love to hear from you i have a thread about replacing an X1 for an Screenplay 4805

all the best and congratulations again :clap: