Infocus Screenplay 4800

Fonzerelli

Standard Member
Reaction score
A mate has asked me if this projector is any good, considering its only £799 at hifibitz he's thinking of getting one.

is it worth the cash? or are there others worth thinking about? he was thinking about a PTAE200 until he saw this.

as always your opinions are apreciated ;)

PS i cant find any info on resolution or whether it supports prog scan.

MSRP (USD) : $ 1,299
Brightness (Lumens) : 1100 ANSI
Contrast: ANSI:
Full On/Off: 2000:1
Weight: 6.8 lbs.
Size (inches) (HxWxD) : 4.2 x 9.8 x 12.5
Throw Dist (feet) : 5.8 - 25.2
Image Size (inches) : 40.0 - 200.0
Lens: Focus:
Manual
Zoom: Manual, 1.21:1
Optional Lenses: No
Digital Zoom: No
Keystone Correction: Digital
Lens Shift: No
Compatibility: HDTV:
1035i, 1080p, 1080i, 720p
EDTV/480p: Yes
SDTV/480i: Yes
Component Video: Yes
Video: Yes
Digital Input: No
Personal Computers: Yes
Networking: Wired:
No
Wireless: No
Warranty: 2 Years
Lamp: Type:
150W SHP
Life: 3000 hours
Quantity: 1
Display: Type:
DLP (1)
Native: 800x600 Pixels
Maximum: 1024x768 Pixels
Aspect Ratio: 4:3 (SVGA)
Performance:
H-Sync Range: **
V-Sync Range: **
Pixel Clock: **
Speakers: **
Max Power: **
Voltage: 100V - 240V
FCC Class: B
Audible Noise: **
Special: **
First Ship: May 2003

** this item is either not applicable, unpublished, or unknown

Look in the FAQ sticky at the top of the forum, to find a link to one of the good sources of info. (under X1)

Paul

Thanks guys, is the X1 similar?

where are those stats from mate, i couldnt get the official link working :(

The X1 and the Screenplay 4800 are the same machine, just different software and bundled adaptors.

Paul

Thanks Hifi Bitz, my only worry is that its 4:3 rather than 16:9, ive read rave reviews about it too, so was thinking of ordering two so i could upgrade my PTAE300 to it too, but the aspect ratio is putting me off :(

Do you demo's hifibitz im in manchester too.

We currently have the 5700 bolted to the ceiling of our dem room and we can also show you the NEC HT1100 and the Sony VPL-HS3. The showroom is in Blackburn - give us a ring on 01254 880220 for directions and to book a dem.

There is no question that the 5700 beats the pants off the 4800, however for less than half the price the 4800 is worth every penny.

The picture (after a few hours run in) is good enough for you to forget about the picture and be more worried about the film, after all isn't that the point.

I paid £1400 and i am very happy with it.

However watch out for the progressive scan mode, it doesn't even come close to my denon 2800mk2's, what ever other people may say.

Hopefully I'm getting a demo of this PJ in London tomorrow. I saw the 5700 in action briefly and I was amazed at how good it looked. I'm probably not going to buy the 4800 (certainly not there and then anyway), and my demo will be more to gauge the quality of a ~£1000 projector. I really really need to assess how projectors perform in lighting conditions other than complete blackout.

I think second hand is still the way to go, although that means waiting.

On another note, is freeview through a freeview box widescreen or 4:3? If it's 4:3 I think a 4:3 PJ would be the best as the house mostly watches scrubs, simpsons, futurama etc which is in 4:3. I think the sacrifice in movie quality might be worth it.

Can you please post your thoughts here after your demo, I'm looking at this machine and through one thing or another am having trouble demoing. I am especially interested in your thoughts as you have the Panasonic 300, another machine I am considereing, alongside the ae200, which I have read comes very close to the ae300.

don't buy a projector for freeview, after all the picture quality of the signal on a normal tele is bad and on a large screen projector it looks truly terrible.

Yes most of freeview is 16:9

Having seen them in action i can honestly say the PTAE300 is the best projector under £1k, only my opinion ofcourse but picture quality was way better than the others. although screen door can still be seen :) does the anti screen door feature have to be turned on or is it automatic?

You can reduce/eliminate it by sitting further away - 2 x screen width should do it.

If you can't sit that far away. the slight defocussing of the lens or changing to a lower gain/grey screen or adding a lens filter are also reputed to reduce apparent screendoor, though they are comparative observations.

Gary.

Fonzerelli said:
Having seen them in action i can honestly say the PTAE300 is the best projector under £1k, only my opinion ofcourse but picture quality was way better than the others. although screen door can still be seen :) does the anti screen door feature have to be turned on or is it automatic?

Hi, any further details on why the PQ wasn't so good from the 4800?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom