1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Infocus Projector Problem

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by chrisw, May 25, 2004.

1. chrisw

chrisw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    My Infocus LP720 has recently developed a large number of vertical red lines running across the entire picture. I've racked up about a thousand hours on the lamp and have not had any problems before.

I get the same result whether connecting to a DVD player or to a PC. I've tried cleaning the bulb and anything else I can get my hands on, but still can't seem to fix it. I've followed the troubleshooting instructions in the manual but to no avail.

Does anyone know what the problem is, or how it can be fixed (cheaply!)

Any help greatly appreciated.
    :lease:

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    Can you post a pic of the problem so we can see it? It might help diagnosing it for you.

Gary.

3. chrisw

chrisw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I'll try and get one up in the next few days. But to describe it, the red vertical lines are an equal distance apart - there are probably 50 or so on the picture and look to be only a pixel wide.

But I'll put up a pucture ASAP.

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    If you invert the image via the menu, do the lines still exist? Are they there when you have the default image with no inputs connected?

Gary.

5. Daftboy

Daftboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Sounds like a faulty DMD chip to me...........
    If it's the DMD chip, thow the projector away, unless it's in warranty, as these chips can cost you around £800 +

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    It may be the formatter board - around £300 - £400 (plus fitting probably). The DMD assembly for my old Davis was £1375!!

Gary.

7. chrisw

chrisw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Right, set it up again last night and the lines appear regardless of whether there is an input or not. The lines are there when the image is back to front or upside down.

Would've posted a picture, but my camera died too last night! maybe its caught something off the projector.

Sounds like its gonna be expensive whatever the problem is, so for now I think I'll just have to grin and bear it....

Thanks for your help and if you have any other suggestions please let me know.

8. Daftboy

Daftboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Your right Gary, it could be that too.
    My last projector (Optoma imported crappy DLP projector) had a faulty DMD chip, but this was not available as a spare part and both the DMD and formatter board had to be replaced.
    Before I purchased my Z-200E, I made sure that a majority of components were available to buy seperatly. The kind assistant at Sevenoaks was able to download the parts guide to show me that the formatter and DMD were available seperatly.

ChrisW,
    As your unit is an Infocus, you might get the parts ceahper than we are suggesting as they are in this special discount for being a premier supplier.

Best of luck with yor decission.