1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Infocus PJ and continuous fan

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by stryker, Sep 14, 2005.

1. stryker

stryker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm kind of aiming this at any infocus pj owners. I have the X3 and notice when its in a switched off state via the remote control, after the cooling off period the fan does not entirely switch off. A wet finger near the vents has confirmed the fan is still going but all be it very slowly.

Now questions. Do infocus put decent fans in the PJs? ie with ball-races? is leaving the mains switched on to the PJ going to wear out the fan or even better cause dust to build up?

I'm looking for opinions here of those who have lived with this for a while. I really don't want to have go switch it off at the mains all the time as the PJ is ceiling mounted.

2. 0B1-1

0B1-1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't you just switch it off on the unit itself? (my 4805 has a black rocker switch)

3. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    The fan stays on for a while after switching off to cool the lamp. Whatever you do don't disconnect mains or switch off plug socket until it has had time to cool, otherwise this may shorten the life of your lamp.

I believe infocus recommend leaving their pj's in standby, only disconnecting mains if you are going to move it. So you needn't worry about it :)

4. stryker

stryker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know, the fan does run on usual operating speed for a min when I hit the standby.... but it then runs real slow the rest of the time.

I've been a bit dumb maybe. Guess its obvious infocus have thought about this is they recommend leaving the PJ in standby mode when not in use.

Cheers.

5. 0B1-1

0B1-1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On my SP4805, If you power down the projector via remote control, ie putting the PJ into standby mode you will notice that the green power led changes from constant to flashing for about a minute, during which time the fan stays on full speed. After the time the LED goes off and the fan reduces to a very slow speed for as long as the unit is connected to the mains. At this point it CAN be switched off from the mains or via the rocker switch.

6. stryker

stryker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OB1-1, do you leave your projector on all the time then or do you turn it off after a few mins? When the LED has finished blinking and the fan slows right down.... its leaving it like that which I worry may cause undue wear or dust build up in the PJ.

Ideally I'd like to leave it on all the time, turning it on and off involves reaching over a sofa and there is the risk it will shift the pj's aim off by a degree or two God forbid :)

7. 0B1-1

0B1-1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stryker,

My PJ is ceiling mounted and I have a fused switched spur on the wall next to my sofa, down near some mains wall sockets. I power down the PJ after watching a film using a macro command on my remote, thus the PJ goes into it's standby mode after a minute with very low fan speed. I then switch off the mains power to the PJ using my switched spur (see pic)

Attached Files:

8. Geordie Bry

Geordie Bry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    hi people i own a sp7205 if u go to screenplay website FAQ they recomend that the projector is left plugged into mains on standby when not in use

9. 0B1-1

0B1-1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For what reason?

10. Geordie Bry

Geordie Bry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    mine is not the reason why mate just quoting infocus website

11. justdoit

justdoit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I have a IBM iLV300 (X1 Clone) and its fan runs constantly whilst power is applied so dont worry about it, mind you I can switch mine off using the rocker switch