Infocus IN81/IN82/IN83 Owners thread - Reviews, Settings, Screenshots and issues

anibap

Few reasons to create this new thread.

1. No dedicated threads for these Infocus 1080p PJs (Although X10 and IN80 threads are present) These 3 PJs are in >£2000 bracket and have everything common other than the DMD generations (DC2 / DC3/ DC4) so one thread would be good without adding to the existing popular X10/IN80 threads.
2. It appears there are some members who own one of these PJs but most posts or threads are random and it is difficult to gather info from one place.
3. I own one now - IN81:D. That is more than enough justification for a new thread :devil:

Request all IN81/82/83 owners to come out and share your experiences. Come on fellas....:hiya:

Cheers

Ani

anibap

Let's start with mine.

The IN81 is my fifth PJ in the following order:
Optoma H27 DC2 (first love)
IN72 (best SD PJ I owned) DC2
HD65 DC2
IN80(fantastic budget 1080p) DC1
IN81 DC2

All DLPs so far. The IN81 came to me as a very rare warranty program.
I will do a review soon especially against the IN80.

All setup with default settings (colour 46). Being old school, watched Fifth element in bits and pieces.
Unfortunately, I don't have Fifth Element in Blu ray (will buy soon). I used a very good 720p mkv file. So picture quality and sharpness is not as good as the blu ray version. Keep that in mind.

I am very impressed with the image so far. Awesome depth and fantastic colours (this is one thing that is common with the entire IN8X range). More later in review.

Some shots - all straight from Camera and resized. Also played around with various color temp settings in few shots. Images are tilted as I used the camera on top of a sofa hand rest at an angle.

Color Temp - Cold
DSC_6117.jpg

Color Temp - Medium
DSC_6118.jpg

Color Temp - Medium
DSC_6119.jpg

Color Temp - Warm
DSC_6120.jpg

Color Temp - Cold
DSC_6121.jpg

Color Temp - Medium
DSC_6122.jpg

DSC_6097.jpg

DSC_6099.jpg

Color Temp - Cold
DSC_6107.jpg

DSC_6111.jpg

These two are bit overexposed on purpose.
DSC_6115.jpg

DSC_6116.jpg

spaceman763

Anibap, would you be able to post a picture of your screen without the PJ on? I am very interested in seeing your PJ environment as your images as simply stunning:smashin:

anibap

Anibap, would you be able to post a picture of your screen without the PJ on? I am very interested in seeing your PJ environment as your images as simply stunning:smashin:

There is not much actually. It is actually an Ikea blind. Here is one image I took when I installed the blind.
DSC_0042.jpg

Previously I was using the same yellow wall you can see at the sides. The blind does a good job as a screen especially with colours. Obviously screen will be better. I came to know about the blind from few forum members and after reading this

As you can see I have a limitation with light coloured walls on the right hand side and in certain cases (like a mixed scene where it is brighter on the right hand side and darker on the left hand side, the image tends to suffer reflection. I am planning to put up a black cloth on that side soon.

Cheers

Ani

spaceman763

I find your pictures absolutely amazing......imagine what they would look like in a pure blacked out room!!!:eek:

How big is the [-]screen [/-] blind by the way?

grogs316

These images look great, I am just putting my system together, am I wasting my money buying a £400-£500 fixed screen when I can nip down to Ikea and spend about £20!! I dont suppose they sell speakers as well, that could save me about a grand as I am abought to purchase tannoy arena highline 500 wall packagefor the excellent price of £940

anibap

These images look great, I am just putting my system together, am I wasting my money buying a £400-£500 fixed screen when I can nip down to Ikea and spend about £20!! I dont suppose they sell speakers as well, that could save me about a grand as I am abought to purchase tannoy arena highline 500 wall packagefor the excellent price of £940

My thoughts on using an Ikea blind or a screen

Why you should use a screen and not the Ikea blind
1. Screen will be better in quality from both build and PQ POV
2. You can get a screen bigger than 90 inches
3. You have no issues in installing a screen

When and why you could use the Ikea blind
1. You have a tight budget now and you plan to use a temp screen and invest in a good screen later
2. Awesome value alternative . It is £20 but quite good
3. You have a limitation in installing a scrren (I have)

You can decide based on your need. If you are still planning to buy the Ikea blind, use the reverse side which offers better contrast.

Cheers

Ani

kbfern

Distinguished Member
If you are considering a fixed screen and don't want to spend a fortune make your own.:thumbsup:

I sheet of 8ft x 4ft x 3mm thick pre painted mdf from Focus (under £10) some 2" wide black self adhesive velcro from Dunelm (approx £10) for the border.

I painted mine with a light grey dulux paint (clouded slate) approx £10, this was because I wanted a grey rather than white screen (improved blacks and colours).

Approx 2-3 hrs work (if you paint it) 1/2 hr if you don't.A few 3/4" nails, a hammer and stanley knife (to mitre the velcro) and volia a really good quality fixed screen that will not curl or ripple (unlike the blind).

If you use the full 8 x 4 sheet this will give a diagonal of around 107".

You don't need to be a DIY expert to do it,I'm pretty useless at DIY but it was easy peasy.

Last edited:

padthebear

Hi anibap thanks for starting this thread.
I love the screenshots.
Could you tell me how to take a good photo
my pics never look like the image i see on the screen.
Id like to post some shots up because when i was getting
my in82 I could not find one shot.
I went by your in80 shots and hoped it would be the same
or better.

padthebear

My first screen shots of my in82

Attachments

• 06062009073.jpg
    06062009073.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 1,096
  • 06062009075.jpg
    06062009075.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 877
  • 20052009009.jpg
    20052009009.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 627
  • 20052009010.jpg
    20052009010.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 601
R

recruit

Do any of you get the rainbow effect with the IN80 series as seriously considering a DLP again, the last one I had was a themescene and did see it very slightly but not much, I'm talking approx 4 years a go, have they improved much since then?

btw - pics look great :thumbsup:

R

recruit

I dont notice the rainbows on the in82
I did when i had the infocus sp4805

Thanks for that, I would hope they make improvements as the technology gets better, I suppose I should really get a demo of one to get an idea, the brightness levels are certainly better with DLP and with my room being quite bright it might be the better option...

anibap

Looking forward to your comparision between the IN80 & IN81.

The problem is I am not getting enough time to watch to do a proper review. I will see if I can do it this weekend.

From initial viewing my impressions

Having used the IN80 for quite a long time, I can say that the IN81 offers some interesting advantages and also it is great to see so many common features Infocus has provided in their budget X10/IN80 model. I am yet to do a proper review against the IN80 (hopefullly this weekend) but I can mention few things straight away after watching the IN81 for few hours.

Things that are same (performance wise) with the IN80
1. Motion handling
2. Same colour performance. Though the IN81 looks slightly better due to higher contrast.
3. Similar sharpness performance. Will have to see more. I assume the lens is same.

IN81 advantages
1. Contrast - Yes it is noticeable. More depth to image. Impressive:thumbsup:
2. Black level - better than IN80. Extreme dark scenes look better and in general black floor is lower as evident from some of my HD test files. Best blacks so far for me.
3. IRIS : I can watch all they way upto 75 range without sacrificing blacks. But I am still watching at 27-36.

My first screen shots of my in82
Great mate. keep them coming...

Thanks for that, I would hope they make improvements as the technology gets better, I suppose I should really get a demo of one to get an idea, the brightness levels are certainly better with DLP and with my room being quite bright it might be the better option...

I don't see rainbows but if you are susceptible you may see in this models as well. Brightness is not an issue with these models. and the IRIS offers 10-12 positions offering great flexibility.

anibap

Infocus IN81
Quick handheld (ISO 800 and 400) test shots from Redcliff 1080p mkv file.
The picture quality is stunning. In the first shot at the top left you can see the very thin net they use to set the hair. One of the problems of HD image where things like this are difficult to hide. LOL:D

Will do proper screenshots of the same scenes and more later.

DSC_6194.jpg

DSC_6197.jpg

anibap

Some more shots. Good will Hunting - Awesome movie. BR is not released in UK so I watched a 720p mkv file (compression artefacts visible in scenes)

Shots taken last weekend. First I thought I would delete these as they didn't turn up that well. A couple from the lot that looked ok. Red / pink push is due to my camera.

DSC_6170.jpg

DSC_6173.jpg

DSC_6164.jpg

padthebear

here are some more shots

Attachments

• bolt 1.jpg
    bolt 1.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 531
  • bolt 2.jpg
    bolt 2.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 669
  • bolt 3.jpg
    bolt 3.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 287
  • predetor.jpg
    predetor.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 455
  • butterfly.jpg
    butterfly.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 462

anibap

Padthebear,
What IRIS position are you using? And which colour temp?
I am using IRIS 27-36 and Medium colour temp.

Ani

--------------------------------------------------------
IN81 - Changeling Blu Ray. Quite a good movie

DSC_6210.jpg

DSC_6209.jpg

DSC_6213.jpg

padthebear

Padthebear,
What IRIS position are you using? And which colour temp?
I am using IRIS 27-36 and Medium colour temp.

On the shots I put up the iris was 100 .
The colour temp was 6500k which i think is warm ?.
I usually watch movies with the iris at 45.
if im showing it to someone who has not seen hd before
I use 100 to make the hd image pop more.
I can bearly watch a full movie without messing with
the settings.

gIzzE

Distinguished Member
I can bearly watch a full movie without messing with
the settings.

Now that is my first test to see if a display is good or not.

I call it 'fiddle time'! :D

If I can go a day, week, month without adjusting settings it is a good display, if I am adjusting for every different show or disc it is not.
Adjusting during a film?? Hmm.

Maybe you need to calibrate it so you know it is correct??

anibap

Some more from Red Cliff. The picture Quality even with the mkv file is awesome. The Blu ray must look terrific.

IN81
IRIS: 45 (Picture does pop with high Iris. But I still prefer 36)

DSC_6252.jpg

DSC_6257.jpg

DSC_6259.jpg

DSC_6249.jpg

DSC_6254.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution