• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Infocus IN78 v IN82

leedsfireman

Hi, I've seen & was really impressed with the IN82 (1080P) at the What Hifi show last year. Has any body done a side by side comparison with a IN78 (720P). Is the difference in cost, about £2000, reallyworth the difference in quality?

jacko5

Hi, I've seen & was really impressed with the IN82 (1080P) at the What Hifi show last year. Has any body done a side by side comparison with a IN78 (720P). Is the difference in cost, about £2000, reallyworth the difference in quality?
I haven't seen the two Infocus PJs you mention, but the usual answer is no the extra cost is not worth it unless you like to sit much closer to the screen than normal, or you are like me and are prepared to pay the premium for the small increase in image quality.

table manners

Buy the in81,thats what i done.The in82 is a great pj,only i could not pay so much more for it just for a chip.
The in81 is a very good piece of kit.

skipton01

I auditioned the IN82 and the 78 recently, side by side (well, one after the other) and I have to say that I thought the PQ was negligable and certainly not worth the extra.

Yes, the pixel size is smaller for a given screen size but the contrast, black depth, colour were much of a muchness. In fact, the yellows on the 78 were deeper and there was less overall pixel noise on the cheaper unit too.

The only reservation I had about the IN78 was that the picture was slightly soft, despite tweaking the manual focus several times. Whether this was down to internal scaling/processing or a lens fault (elements mis-aligned for instance) is unknown, but in comparison to the Optoma HD70/73, it was a let down!

Cheers,

Mike

Pop up Dragon

I have the IN78 and i'm very happy with it. I've looked at the IN82 and the IN81 and though i thought both had a slight edge on the IN78 the throw on the IN78 is better for me and i dont have enough hi def to make it worth my while. For someone who can get lots of 1080 software then it may be worth the price premium.
One other thing...it looks like there are lots of offers on the IN81..that may make it worth the difference for some people.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom