InFocus component to s-video adaptor

Radio_Daze

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just bought the InFocus X1, does anyone know where I can buy a component to s-video adaptor at a sensible price?.
The price on InFocus's web site is $10, but they say they do not ship outside of the U.S., I found one on a U.K. site, but they want £57 !!!. WHAT A RIP OFF !!!!!!!.
I would also like advice please on screens. This is my first projector and I have a lot to learn.
I want something like an 84" pull down wall mounted screen, but believe there are different types of materials that they are made from, and gain etc.
I must say I do like the projector, and would like to get the best out of it.
Any advice would be most welcome.
Thanks.

Hi Radio_Daze

I posted some info on this back in January (so it could no longer be valid) but if you search this section of the forum for "Lisa Alder", you'll pick up the thread. I've not worked out how to attach a link to another thread!

Paul

Thanks for the info Paul, I'll give Lisa a call tomorrow.
I did find a U.S. site that had The adaptor for $7.95, was going to order one, but they wanted $50.05 to ship to the U.K..
Looks like you get shafted either way.

Thanks again, Ken Harvey.

Radio_Daze - before you rush out and but the s-video YUV adaptor you do realise it doesn't accept progressive scan, only interlace component!!! I think you need to send progressive scan component into the VGA socket using a VGA to 3 RCA lead...

Yes Liam, I did know that, I don't have a device that outputs progressive anyway. I just want to try the component route too eek out the best performance I can.
Just hope it's worth all the trouble, and that I can see a differrence afterwards. There is a big difference between composite and s-video, so hopefully, component will be better still.
I'll let you know when and if I get one, but I refuse to pay a silly price!!.
:nono:

Cool! Good Luck on your search :smashin:

Hi Ken

If Lisa can still provide these, I would get both at the same time, just in case. As a matter of interest I have both the substitute £7 and the £50 versions of the VGA adaptor and the are identical. Should the cheap version not be available, the most cost effective route (if you at a later stage wanted to go down the progressive route) would be just get a standard VGA cable, cut it in half and solder on some RCA sockets.
In either case it would be helpful if you could update the thread with the availablilty of the leads from Lisa, should other wish to purchase if available.
Paul

Hi Paul,
I rang Reflex this morning, Lisa is on holiday this week, but I spoke to another young lady who seemed helpful. She promised to ring me back, but I am still waiting.
I'll wait and see what tomorrow brings.
I am only really bothered about the component to s-video adaptor, I would make one myself, but the s-video plug seems to be unique with the 3 extra pins !!.
I'll keep you informed.
Cheeers Ken.

Hi Paul/Ken,
I also rang Reflex this morning and also spoke to a helpful young lady, presumably the same one, and she also promised to ring me back - which she did a couple of hours later. She told me that the only ones they could supply now were the £50 items. She asked where I was told they were selling them for £6+P&P and I mentioned these forums. It got a bit confusing at one point because apparently there is a Paul Williams working at Reflex! Anyway it doesn’t look hopeful although it may be worth giving Lisa a ring when she gets back from holiday.

The increase in picture quality was not that great with my set-up, with the move from Svideo to Component (interlaced). I don't feel it really justified the cost of the 5mts of cable and a £12 adaptor. There is no way I would consider spending £50+ on the adaptor alone. Anyone looked into whether or not IBM or Toshiba will supply this adaptor as the both supply coned versions of the X1?

Paul

Hi All,
I rang Reflex again today, and spoke to the same girl as yesterday, I believe her name was Adele. ( I think thats how you spell it )
She said that InFocus had got the sp-vesa-adpt available for £5.75, but she had written down the wrong part number for the sp-video-adpt, so she would e-mail InFocus in the Netherlands to ask again, and she would ring me back.
She rang back this afternoon and said " They had none in stock, and they were going to check with the Planning Departmet to see if they were going to get some more". (Whatever that means) Anyway she said if she could get one, she would let me know.
Well if she can get one for about the same price as the other one, then that seems pretty fair, compared to what some want to charge. I mean there is nothing to them, they would only cost a few pennies to make!.
She told me yesterday she thought it might be about £50, but I'm not playing that game, I would rather do without. Anyway we'll wait and see.
Oh by the way she said that someone else rang yesterday morning with the same request, so that must have been Animal.
Bye for now, Ken.

Paul,
Forgot to mention I checked the spec on the Toshiba clone on Toshiba's web-site, and it's not the same. It has a dedicated component input. ( 3 RCA sockets, so not a real clone after all )
Like you I thought maybe I could get the adaptor from them.

Hi Ken,

Just a quick note about the Toshiba MT100. It is the same machine as the X1, with the same connections - what you are referring to is a marketing perspective for the unit. They use the representation within the ‘connections diagram’ to indicate connectivity, not the actual connections. The diagram does show three RCA’s but also has noted that connection is via an adaptor. The brochure (which is downloadable from the same site) or Photo 2 shows the ‘real’ situation – no component RCA inputs.

Paul.

Hi All,
Finally managed to order the adaptor. :thumbsup: Getting it from www.bhphotovideo.com in New York.
Bit expensive, $9.99 + $26.25 shipping !!. Just got sick of searching the net, and this is the best price I can find.
Found a site in Germany yesterday, wanted 77 Euro's + p&p, don't know what some of these people have been siffin'.

See Ya, Ken

Hello All,
Ordered this Adaptor 19th June, getting a bit concerned, as it still has'nt turned up, getting a bit sick of waiting!. :(
According to www.bhphotovideo.com it was posted on 21st June by Air Mail, seems to be taking a long time.
Has anybody else dealt with these people, are they O.K. ?.

Got tired of waiting for this thing to arrive, so have ordered 2 from a proven supplier in the States.
So if anyone wants an sp-video-adpt for the X1, then let me know, I should have at least 1 spare in the next few days.
I'm afraid it will cost you about £30, I know its expensive, but I,m not making anything on that, and it is still less than half the price that you can find here in RIP OFF BRITAIN !!.

Ken.

Hello Radio Daze . :lease: help me get my hands on a sp-video-adpt before football season starts. I payed an american company who failed to send it and so far have failed to refund me . i read that the same thing happened to you . please help

Sorry to hear you lost money, but I just sent you a mail ,and mentioned the one I ordered from www.bhphotovideo.com took exactly five weeks to arrive. But I've sold my 2 spares now. :(
I also thought I had been twisted.
Thats why I ordered a couple from www.provantage.com.
They are more reliable, ( I bought from them before ) but their shipping costs are expensive, :thumbsdow sp-video-adpt $7.12 + $50 shipping if you buy one, and about $69 shipping if you buy two.
Maybe yours will still turn up, heres hoping.

Cheers Ken Harvey.

Hi Radio Daze I was wondering what the change in quality was with the new lead . the svhs lead that i am using is not that bad for dvd's . But i only get composite video out of my cable tv box which is not good enough. the football season is about to start , so how long did the one from www.provantage.com take to arive

Hello Big Geordie,
I was wondering why you wanted an sp-video -adpt to watch football from a digi-box. I don't have cable, and did'nt know that they had a component video output, I must be out of touch!.
I must admit I can't see a great diffence between s-video, and component unless the sourse material is of real high quality. I mean on a five foot wide screen, even some DVD's look poor, and others look amazing.
The DVD of "Face Off" looks particually good, and then "Spaceballs" not so good, so you need to eek out every bit of quality that you can.
I have my digibox connected to my X1 with composite at the moment, and I'm not very impressed with the image from that either.
I have ordered twice from Provantage, the first order for a component video lead, took about a week. But the second order, for the sp-video-adpt's had'nt arrived after a week, so I mailed them, and they sent them the next day, they arrived two days after that.
The shipping cost from Provantage is far too high, I know they send by DHL,
but $50 is still a lot to pay to send something that only costs $7.99, and weighs about an ounce.
The problem is of course these things are hard to get hold of, even InFocus wont ship outside of the U.S., and most other companys in the States wont send either!.
I searched the net for one of these adaptors, and the only place I could find in the U.K. was a company called Technoworld in London, who want £57 + postage, which I think is £6.99, and also state a delivery time of two to three weeks. I just don't know how anyone can charge this sort of money for such a simple item!.
For this sort of money, I can go into my local Kwik Save and come out with two DVD players, and a case of beer!.

Hi Radio Daze.the price is a total rip off in the uk, and I am sure we will get dvd players free out of cornflake boxes soon. Cable tv only do RGB scart ,the same as most digital tv boxes. But you can convert RGB scart to component video, there is nothing worse than composite. What is the thing about having to photocopy your visa card and sending it to www.bhphotovideo.com ,I have never been asked to do this and I am not sure if its ok to do it (credit card fraud). Were you asked to do this, they said it was because it was my first order . I have not sent it untill i asked advice about it.

If you're planning on paying with credit card anyway then logically there is no way a crook retailer could gain more information through having a photocopy of the card seeing as they would be asking you to read all the important numbers of it for them anyway. I would imagine they are doing it simply to ensure you do indeed have the credit card in question and have not read the numbers off of someone elses card or something!

This is all a bit confusing but of you're looking to input progressive component into your X1 the follow the advice of a reviewer on the ebuyer website. Get onto the Maplins website and order a VCO3 adaptor (VGA/VESA to BNC) then get 3 BNC female/female connectors and finally order a 10m Nikkai component cable which comes complete with 3 BNC/phono adaptors. It seems quite a long way round but it is cheaper and worked for me. Also Maplins only takes about 2 days to deliver (rather than five weeks!)
Hope this helps someone
BTW if anyone is considering spending up to £1300 on a pj, go to the ebuyer website and read the x1 reviews, then think of ways to spend the other £700 you'll save.
Regards

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom