1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Infocus comparison....

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by BaffVision, Nov 18, 2004.

1. BaffVision

BaffVision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Long time reader... first time poster...

Yep, I'm probably going to ask a question that has been bought up 1000 times, but here goes.

I am about to buy my first home projector in the next month or so. Have been doing HEAPS of demos.

Basically have it down to Infocus 4805 v 5700.

I REALLY love the 5700, but the price on the 4805 is VERY attractive.

My issues are:
    -I have an old DVD player that doesn't have component - so need to upgrade in the ver near future.
    -Room is relatively dark.
    -Looking at a 96" or 100" pulldown screen.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this choice of projectors and what pushed them towards either model.

Basically, I need ammo to convince wife which way to go. She is happy with both but she would REALLY prefer the 4805 ($ only), unless I can think of some really good reasons. (and yes I have told her its a MUCH better picture, but she wants more info). What are some IMPORTANT technical reasons for spending the extra $ now.

Cheers,

Baff.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    IMHO the 5700 is probably the better buy, based solely on my experience of a Sharp Z200E (Matterhorn DLP) and reading the comments about them on Projector Central. Reasons:

1) higher resolution will make a significant difference on that size screen
    2) 5x colour wheel means less rainbows
    3) brighter is better the larger the screen

Clearly auditioning side-by-side would be best but on paper the 5700 wins .. BUT, if the 4805 is a LOT cheaper then that price difference may be hard to justify, however I just think pixellation from an 854x480 projector on a 100" screen would be a bit too noticeable after a while.

3. BaffVision

BaffVision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. I'm assuming that in the long term, the extra money that I spent into the getting the 5700 won't hurt as much as if I'd bought the 4805 and wished I hadn't.

The distance from couch to screen is around 13 feet. Is 100" too large ?

On another note, looking at Denon 2910, 2900 or alike for DVD player... assume all of these are fine selections ?

4. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    I would say for a 100inch (across, not diagonal) screen, you should be at least 16 foot from the screen on the 4805 to avoid seeing pixelation. They recommend a distance of at least 2x the screen width.
    You will need either an adapter or a M1-DA to DVI/HDMI cable to take advantage of a pure digital connection with any of the Screenplay range. The official Infocus M1-DA to DVI cable is £80-£100 so shop around. An adapter may be cheaper, but quality may suffer.
    For a DVD player with DVI/HDMI output, check out the new Samsung HD945 which is now available for only £158.99 Including VAT from Digi UK @

http://www.digiuk.com/productdetail.asp?id=2218&c=605622&guid=&s=

I've not read any reviews on this as it's a brand new model, but the price/spec looks very impressive.

I own a 4805 and I am extremely pleased with it's performance and cannot believe the image comes from such a budget model. The 5700 must blow ya socks off if the 4805 is this good !!!

5. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How much is the Denon? What about the Samsung HD945 DVD player for £158 with built in high quality scaler and HDMI output +DVD audio and SACD and it plays Divx films. Then the money saved can go towards the better projector. (Are the Denons really worth the extra money?)

6. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Great minds think alike Kahless725 !!!!!

7. BaffVision

BaffVision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The denon that all the shops seem to be pushing me towards is between $1200AUD and $2000AUD.

And considering the projectors are:
    4805- $2700
    5700- $4800

Its almost the diff. So any other options for DVD player would be GREATLY appreciated.

I was even going to "borrow" my dads spare pioneer DVD with component out. I figure easier to buy a dvd later and put money towards 5700 then want to upgrade projector later.

8. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get the better projector now and get a low priced but highly regarded DVD player with it, then one day if you really feel the need (and I bet you wont if the 5700 has a decent scaler) get a new dvd player. Just make sure you get a dvd player with component out. Most regarded sub £100 player over here is the Toshiba SD-340E which is a touch over £80.

In fact I just had a look and the 5700 has the Faroudja scaler built in so you wont need the Samsung and the Toshiba at £80 over here will save you a fortune and alloy you to get the best of the two projectors today.

9. davee

davee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    What are some IMPORTANT technical reasons for spending the extra $ now.

Forget the important technical reasons, look at the picture. In fact if you have compared the images side by side you will probably do as I did, want to pay the money for a good pj as the 4805 is, but really want the 5700 which is so much better....and end up buying nothing ....yet

10. davee

davee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    sorry kahless 725, dont agree with your assumption about a cheap dvd player. The old adage, garbage in garbage out applies just as much here as anywhere